• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help identify this injured bird (Canada) (1 Viewer)

JfAllin

My wife found this little guy/girl in our yard in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada. I'm not sure if its injured or a baby. Can anyone help me identify this bird and maybe tell me how to help it? Here is a photo: (The kitty treats are in the cage from before)

IMG00078-20100624-1701.jpg

It's a baby, in need of regular feeding.

It has to be feed regularly by hand. Mashed up boiled egg, mealworms, cat/dog food will help for now. In the very short-term. Water on cotton wool.

Phone your local wildlife service/vet ASAP.

They will know what to do, and hopefully take over care.

Hope it goes well. And welcome to the forum.

Give it something warm to sleep near, like an old piece of towel.

Phone the help available, and good luck.

I really hope it survives, and you get a good result from this.

Best regards!

We fed it some canned cat food and we put a plate of water in the cage. We put a cloth in there to sleep on and put the cage in the storage room so the cat won't bother it. Time for bed, I'll let you all know how its going tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

IMG00090-20100624-2229.jpg

When we woke up this morning the bird was out of the cage, walking around in our dining room. My wife set it on the table and fed it some more cat food, mixed with water this time. Then the bird flew from the table to the floor. We put it back in the cage and put the cage outside. Later on when we went out to check on it, the bird was gone. I think its nest is in a tree by our yard. I'm going to look around on the ground tomorrow but I think we'll let nature take its course on this one, maybe just keep the cat away from it and watch it from the window.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back