• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch7 8x42 a good choice? (1 Viewer)

tkl

Is there any reason not to buy this binocular for all around use? Are there better options in that price range. They seem to be easy to find here in Canada. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks. No problem getting a Vortex Viper here. I will also check out the Bushnell Engage ED. Are they all close enough in performance that it would be safe to just pick the one that I can find the best deal on?

I have had Monarch 7s 8x42s for four and a half years and I really like them.
I just did a write up on this earlier in the week. Check it out.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=367676
I also just did a write up on 12x50 Vipers. Check it out.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=367779
I think the Monarchs are far superior in build quality. I think that the two are similar in optical quality.
I never tested the warranty on the Vortex's, but I did just get a brand new pair of Monarchs through the Nikon warranty.
-as you were, q

Last edited:
Get a pair of Tract Toric 8x42 original generation. A whole class above for not much more as they are on closeout. If your interested pm me as I can email you a referral that will save you a little more. The M7 is a fine glass but nowhere near as nice as the Toric. Plus with Toric you can get a 30 day trial period. No strings attached. The Toric is in the same class as a Zeiss Conquest. However I’ve owned both and prefer the Toric. Steve C did a nice review of the Toric here that you can look up.

Forgot to add: If you want the M7 sign up for LL Beans email list. They have been running 25% off promos that work on Nikons. I imagine they would ship to Canada but a quick phone call would be all it would take to find out.

The only comment I would add is that the M7 is quite light weight if that is a factor, and has the best field of view among the discussed bins, by quite a margin. I like mine but do think the Conquest is optically quite superior, so if the Toric is as good as the Conquest as often mooted, it would be a substantially better bin than the M7. No recent experience with Vortex.

As pbjosh says the M7's do have the biggest FOV if that is your thing. M7 420 feet, Vortex Viper HD 409 feet and the Tract Toric 377 feet. You will notice the difference too. Especially, between the M7 and the Tract

Last edited:
Steve C did a nice review of the Toric and said he measured the Actual field if view at about 400 feet so there isn’t a huge difference between the three. The difference is that the Toric is a a genuine sub alpha whereas the Vioer and M7 are nice mid grades.

One last thought: Why anyone would spend about $500 on the M7 or Viper when they can get the original Toric 8x42 on closeout for $524 is beyond me. No brainer to buy the Toric. Of course buying the M7 from Bean when they have a 25% off promo with free shipping would make the price difference more substantial. Then the M7 would make sense if money is an issue.

Is there any reason not to buy this binocular for all around use? Are there better options in that price range. They seem to be easy to find here in Canada. Thanks.

Absolutely no reason. It's a good binocular. The added FOV is a bonus for a birder. The Monarch 7 8X42 is also very lightweight. I'd probably lean towards a Vanguard Endeavor ED II/IV but weight and FOV certainly makes a case for the Monarch 7.

Steve C did a nice review of the Toric and said he measured the Actual field if view at about 400 feet so there isn’t a huge difference between the three. The difference is that the Toric is a a genuine sub alpha whereas the Viper and M7 are nice mid grades.

One last thought: Why anyone would spend about $500 on the M7 or Viper when they can get the original Toric 8x42 on closeout for $524 is beyond me. No brainer to buy the Toric. Of course buying the M7 from Bean when they have a 25% off promo with free shipping would make the price difference more substantial. Then the M7 would make sense if money is an issue.

I agree the Toric is a good deal and a nice binocular. The difference in FOV measurements may not be apples to apples though. If Steve had measured the Monarch 7 8X42 in the same way he measured the Toric then we would have something. He MIGHT find that the Monarch 7 offers the user more FOV too....IDK if he has checked that out or not.

Steve C did a nice review of the Toric and said he measured the Actual field if view at about 400 feet so there isn’t a huge difference between the three. The difference is that the Toric is a a genuine sub alpha whereas the Vioer and M7 are nice mid grades.
I know Steve said that and I believe him but I have compared the three and I with my eyes I can see a difference in the FOV with the M7 being the widest and the Viper HD next and the Tract last. That is just my experience yours may vary. Here is a new in the box M7 on Ebay with no bids yet at $325.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Mona...874531?hash=item2cdbf5b723:g:cXUAAOSwe2ZbqO-g

Last edited:
I’m not sure a Nikon bought on eBay would qualify for warranty. Nikon usually specifies it must come from an authorized dealer. Buyer beware and check with Nikon first! If you bought the same M7 from Bean with the 25 promo plus an extra 5% off for using a Bean MasterCard the price would be $341 with free shipping and returns from Canada. Plus a 1 year free return in any condition option. The eBay also costs an additional $8.80 to ship so we’re talking about a $7 difference to buy from Bean. Might actually cost more to ship to Canada. I know who I would buy from!

Interesting things about Steve’s review are that he also measured the 10x42 Toric and found it right on spec. Also subsequent posters agreed that the fov appeared wider than the spec. The most important thing about comparing the fov of these models is: it doesn’t matter how wide the field of view is if the sweet spot doesn’t get close to the edges. The M7 and Vipers that I’ve owned where not very sharp on the edges. The Toric is sharp much farther out to the edges so it more than makes up for a smaller fov (if it even really does have a substantially narrower fov which is in doubt from Steve’s review) Still a no brainer for me: but the Toric!

I am not sure a Nikon purchased from any US Dealer including LL Bean would be covered under warranty in Canada. Most warranties including Nikon's are only valid in the country where they were purchased. Were your Vipers the older models? Vortex updated the Viper's just recently. I just purchased the new model Vortex Viper HD in 12x50 and it quite sharp to the edge. Surprised me really. I had the older model Tract Toric 8x42 and I feel the new Viper is now a little sharper at the edge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back