• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TOO quiet.... (1 Viewer)

HH75

Ireland
Hi all,
While realising that it's almost November now,I can't help but feel that,due to the wind direction etc,it's the quietest end to October that we've had here for ages!It's all the more frustrating to hear news of birds like Yellow-rumped Warbler and Pine Bunting in the UK and a Western Orphean Warbler still in the Netherlands when the only bird reported to the Irish birdline so far today is a single Green Sandpiper at a lake in Co.Dublin:I had one of those on Wed and didn't even bother putting it on the line,as they are too regular!
Hope we get a last minute blast of SE winds(or winds from the far south): failing that,those Yanks in Iceland/Norway/Orkney have to move south at some stage....;)
Harry H

Last edited:
Hi Harry,

No need to get worried yet, I've seen Pallas's Warbler as late as the end of November in Northumberland, so there could well be more to come yet.

And you never know, what with a low in the southern North Sea for the next couple of days, and then a big Atlantic depression running in for you . . . how about Siberian Dunnock for me, and Palm Warbler for you? o:)

Michael

Hi Jane,
That's some consolation,but I should imagine that it'll be very hit or miss on the headlands after it,with no subsequent arrival of commoner migrants(as one would doubtless get with good SE or S winds?).
Still,may well try the Old Head either on Sunday or early on Monday....
Harry H

Hi Michael,
Hadn't seen your reply when I posted!Realise that good migrants can arrive well into November(indeed,have seen Brown and Isabelline Shrikes,Bluethroat(an Irish mega),Barred Warbler etc in November,the former two being found quite late in the month),but was just reflecting on the fact that such arrivals were unlikely if weather conditions remained as they currently are!
There have been very few American passerines recorded here after October,but I wonder how much of that is down to the fact that most birders here switch off from searching the headlands once October has ended?
Harry H

I always thought the place to find late year American passerines was Essex housing estates! As birds stop moving the way to find them is not to go to headlands and see what goes through, but go and find tit flocks inland.

Last edited:
Harry Hussey said:
Hi all,
While realising that it's almost November now,I can't help but feel that,due to the wind direction etc,it's the quietest end to October that we've had here for ages!It's all the more frustrating to hear news of birds like Yellow-rumped Warbler and Pine Bunting in the UK

What goes around comes around Harry ;)
And usually right around the IOM.
Not on it!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back