• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony RX10 1V the new boy. (2 Viewers)

I want to share here some thoughts I have on the RX10 iv, mostly around how it compares to using a DSLR. Though I think this is a great camera, I focus on negatives here, with the goal of helping DLSR owners better understand where they might get frustrated if switching to this camera.

I bought the RX10 iv to use in addition to my D7200 + 80-400mm. On the whole, I really like the RX10. I use it probably half the time I’m out birding now, with the other half being given to the D7200. The Sony has a lot of upside over the DSLR, much of which has already been discussed in this thread. It creates excellent images, has accurate and laser-fast autofocus, and does well with birds perched amid branches as well as those in flight. I would not however consider it as a “replacement” for the D7200. It falls short in some key areas and can be frustrating to use (for me). The shortcomings that have been most noticeable to me have to do with the usage and handling, interface, and tremendously short battery life. These are my opinions and I’m sure others will disagree here and there. I tend to be nitpicky about some of these things, so you might not find these faults to be very important at all.

My notes (again, mostly in the context of how it compares to using the D7200):
** Relatively clumsy to use
- The menu navigation can be slow when changing camera settings. I primarily use 2 memory presets, one for perched birds and one for BIF. I often find myself wanting to quickly switch from one to the other, but the camera makes it rather slow. On the DSLR it takes only a fraction of a second.
- Zooming in and out is also slower than on a DSLR, but this is to be expected. Also, I usually find the speed to be adequate.
** Image review is slow and clumsy.
- When reviewing photos, zooming in and out is slow with poor responsiveness. Switching from one image to the next while zoomed is very slow.
- The camera doesn’t really do auto image review like a DSLR does. You have to hit the play button to review a photo instead of automatically being shown the photo you just took. Yes, you can turn on auto-review, but this feature is very disruptive in that it will always automatically display your photo in the EVF. This basically makes the feature useless, as it disrupts your shooting. And who would ever want to review a photo in the EVF?! Anyway, I’ve gotten used to hitting the play button. Just makes things a tad slower to use (there is a theme here).

** Touchscreen no good (for me). I would constantly accidentally touch it with my nose or finger, causing the focus point to change. I turned off the touchscreen within the first week and have never turned it on. That said, I don’t really miss it.

** Battery life, at least compared to a DSLR, is fantastically bad. I haven’t done a true comparison, but I’d reckon the D7200 battery lasts at least 8 or 10x as long as the Sony. If I take the RX10 out for an hour keeping the camera on but taking zero photos, it will drain the battery about 20%. This is no doubt partly due to the fact that the LCD screen stays on all the time. I don’t know why they designed it like that, but it does. There are some workarounds to make it stay off (some discussed previously in this thread), but they are clumsy at best and have their own drawbacks. In the end, the battery thing isn’t too bad, you just have to stock up on batteries.

** EVF – The EVF has been harder to use for me than an OVF of a DLSR. I have largely gotten used to it, but it generally takes a second for my eye to adjust to it when I go to take a shot. It can be harder (sometimes impossible) to find distant or fast-moving birds that would be easy with the D7200. But on the whole this is usually not an issue, with it only falling short in these more difficult scenarios.

** There is no user manual. This is frustrating. An online version exists but is, surprise surprise, clumsy and difficult to navigate.

I will wrap up by saying again that I love this camera and get a lot of great use out of it. It performs exceptionally well at taking photos and I have gotten some great images of birds. I can’t speak to technical IQ like some of the pros and enthusiasts around here, but it’s been great for me. I still have a lot to learn about how to use it, and I hope to start shooting video soon. Some samples here. Nothing great, but perhaps these show a bit of the camera's focusing versatility.

Attachments

• DSC00300.jpg
    DSC00300.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC00460.jpg
    DSC00460.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC07424.jpg
    DSC07424.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC09973.jpg
    DSC09973.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 261
Agree entirely with HeadWest.
Sony cameras are let down by their complex and unintuitive user interface, compounded by the lack of a decent user manual. The issue appears to be general, it certainly extends to the more compact models as well.
For instance, the Sony RX100VI is a lovely little powerhouse that hides its massive capabilities in a multi layered and largely unexplained labyrinth of menu settings. The user manual does not even hint at the extent of the options, only the separate and unheralded 584 page Help Guide ( only available in on line form ) provides those details.
Of course this is a situation tailor made for the writers of the 'Missing Manual' series, but it short changes the actual customers, who never realize the full potential of their purchase.

Agree entirely with HeadWest.
Sony cameras are let down by their complex and unintuitive user interface, compounded by the lack of a decent user manual. The issue appears to be general, it certainly extends to the more compact models as well.
For instance, the Sony RX100VI is a lovely little powerhouse that hides its massive capabilities in a multi layered and largely unexplained labyrinth of menu settings. The user manual does not even hint at the extent of the options, only the separate and unheralded 584 page Help Guide ( only available in on line form ) provides those details.
Of course this is a situation tailor made for the writers of the 'Missing Manual' series, but it short changes the actual customers, who never realize the full potential of their purchase.

So, essentially, nothing has changed since the introduction of this otherwise very desirable camera? The situation described in the last two posts has kept me from venturing into the rather high expense, so far. I still hope another brand will come up with something comparable but less complicated. Particularly since taking videos would be one thing I want to do without needing a second camera.

Thanks to HeadWest and etudiant for your fine evaluations.

Just a little bump for this thread.

How are you guys getting on with this camera for bird Photography. I have a 70D and the siggy 150-600 which I love, but really want something a bit smaller/lighter and with a better range other than buying more lenses for my 70D.

How are you guys getting on with this camera for bird Photography. I have a 70D and the siggy 150-600 which I love, but really want something a bit smaller/lighter and with a better range other than buying more lenses for my 70D.

Bridge cameras,whichever one it is are always a compromise and will never mstch a good dslr and lens set up.A camera like the rx10 is great if you want a very capable camera that is easy yo carry but you will not get the same iq as you will from a good slr.
If portability over ultimate image quality is your main concern,the rx10 will do you well.

I've never regretted switching from a SLR.

It's interesting that in two weeks in Thailand I saw more Thai birders with this camera than I have in almost two years in the UK.

Yes you will get higher IQ, when the light is poor, with a SLR but for someone who's a birder/naturalist first and who found that his birding/wildlife watching was being compromised too much by lugging lots of camera gear it was a great move. Plus it has advantages such as a much large buffer (something that is was a real issue as I use RAW) and faster shot rate (admittedly less of an issue for me) compared to my 7D mark ii.

I have actually kept my SLR - although I've now sold my 100 - 400 - but it collects dust under my bed.

I've never regretted switching from a SLR.

It's interesting that in two weeks in Thailand I saw more Thai birders with this camera than I have in almost two years in the UK.

Yes you will get higher IQ, when the light is poor, with a SLR but for someone who's a birder/naturalist first and who found that his birding/wildlife watching was being compromised too much by lugging lots of camera gear it was a great move..

This is exactly me.
I sold my 5d's and lenses and bought this and haven't looked back.
It all fits in a smaller than normal Lowepro backpack along with my binoculars and field guide.

Here is my newly started flickr account. All photos taken with the RX10 iv
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182006869@N06/with/49003283596/

Last edited:
Finally bit the bullet

So, essentially, nothing has changed since the introduction of this otherwise very desirable camera? The situation described in the last two posts has kept me from venturing into the rather high expense, so far. I still hope another brand will come up with something comparable but less complicated. Particularly since taking videos would be one thing I want to do without needing a second camera.

OK, about two and a half years after the appearance of this camera, I finally found a price level that made me buy one. It came as a temporary reduction in price by local dealers combined with a cash back offer by Sony. At around 1250 Swiss Francs, it still did not really come as a bargain, though. Particularly when considering the fact that one needs to buy some extras to really make things operational.

First, I still feel this camera is uncomfortably heavy when hanging on my neck. Any proven ways to relieve the old neck?

I'm used to my Panasonic lineage that I got into with the FZ8 and stopped with the FZ200. From then on, the FZ models got mostly heavier without offering any major advantages (aside from the larger chip). So it's quite a change in many ways. I bought the guide book by A.S. White to compensate for missing decent instructions. White essentially deals with the US version of the camera, so there are some gaps for me. I'll try asking here to hopefully fill in.

A first problem that I encountered is the date-time sequence. For ease of archiving, it makes sense to use the year-month-day sequence. However, I can't combine that with the usual European 24 hour time sequence. I always end up with AM/PM only. Is there a way to get to my preferred sequence?

Last edited:
First, I still feel this camera is uncomfortably heavy when hanging on my neck. Any proven ways to relieve the old neck?

Fisrt, do you carry both camera and binoculars or only camera? for camera only, with do what I do with hanging it over the shoulder instead or use a harness-strap such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-...words=binocular+harness&qid=1579460771&sr=8-4

If carrying both, again you can hang on the shoulder like I do or look into the black-rapid or similar straps that distribute the weight on both shoulders -- notice, I have not tried these.

Niels

Fisrt, do you carry both camera and binoculars or only camera? for camera only, with do what I do with hanging it over the shoulder instead or use a harness-strap such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Comfortable-...words=binocular+harness&qid=1579460771&sr=8-4

If carrying both, again you can hang on the shoulder like I do or look into the black-rapid or similar straps that distribute the weight on both shoulders -- notice, I have not tried these.

Niels

Thanks Niels, if I go fully equipped, it will be camera plus binoculars plus scope/tripod plus backpack. That is also why I'm not fond of the harness types. I constantly get things messed up. My wife likes it, but at most she carries a small backpack plus the binoculars.

Bag idea

Hi Robert,

I have an RX 10 Iv and a P900 i take out with me birding. I've taken this bag when using my scope out as well and find it a good solution, for medium to long walks.

The bag is a Tenba Solstice sling 10L, and allows easy access to the cameras whilst been slung on your back and out of the way of scopes etc.

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3605.jpg
    IMG_3605.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3606.jpg
    IMG_3606.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 52
Hi Robert,

I have an RX 10 Iv and a P900 i take out with me birding. I've taken this bag when using my scope out as well and find it a good solution, for medium to long walks.

The bag is a Tenba Solstice sling 10L, and allows easy access to the cameras whilst been slung on your back and out of the way of scopes etc.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

You mean you can keep the bag on your back and still get a camera out to take pictures? Never had things tumbling out while you do it? The middle photo you posted seems to invite such potential accidents?

Hello,

New forum member here, and also fairly new to Birding and bird spotting here in my new adopted home country of Spain.

I am looking around for my first birding camera and have a question on the Sony RX10 IV - I read a lot about how the menu and settings are cumbersome and confusing. Is this camera not suited for the more novice photographer or are there also more automated settings to use.
Also - are there options to change the language in the camera. Considering the fact I will be buying in Spain but prefer to have the camera menu in English?
Final question - is there a lot of difference between the III and the IV and will I really notice that as a novice amateur? Reason is that you can pick up the III at a more interesting price.

Thank you from sunny Barcelona
Ruud

Hello,

New forum member here, and also fairly new to Birding and bird spotting here in my new adopted home country of Spain.

I am looking around for my first birding camera and have a question on the Sony RX10 IV - I read a lot about how the menu and settings are cumbersome and confusing. Is this camera not suited for the more novice photographer or are there also more automated settings to use.
Also - are there options to change the language in the camera. Considering the fact I will be buying in Spain but prefer to have the camera menu in English?
Final question - is there a lot of difference between the III and the IV and will I really notice that as a novice amateur? Reason is that you can pick up the III at a more interesting price.

Thank you from sunny Barcelona
Ruud

The menu settings aren't confusing or cumbersome, but it will take a while to get used to everything. Simply using the camera will help. I tend to use aperture priority with the focus on C (continuous autofocus) and medium or fast burst, depending on the subject/conditions. The 4k video function is excellent.

I'm sure the camera settings will include English, even if purchased in Spain.

I know someone who purchased the Mkiii and wished they had shelled out for the Mkiv. It is an exceptional camera. If like me, you're a birder with a camera rather than a photographer, you'll never look back.

Andy

The menu settings aren't confusing or cumbersome, but it will take a while to get used to everything. Simply using the camera will help. I tend to use aperture priority with the focus on C (continuous autofocus) and medium or fast burst, depending on the subject/conditions. The 4k video function is excellent.

I'm sure the camera settings will include English, even if purchased in Spain.

I know someone who purchased the Mkiii and wished they had shelled out for the Mkiv. It is an exceptional camera. If like me, you're a birder with a camera rather than a photographer, you'll never look back.

Andy

Cheers Andy - indeed I am a birder with (or actually right now without) a camera rather than a photographer. I just don't want to shell out a lot of money on a camera which is too complex for me to use. Also I am wondering if the 600mm lens is enough for me if I compare to cheaper camera's with bigger zoom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back