• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frozen Birdbath (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I've been sitting at my desk watching the Blue Jays through the window. I've seen several fly to the regular birdbath which is frozen solid this morning. They tilt their heads from side to side for a minute then fly over to the heated (unfrozen) bath that that we introduced about a week ago. It hadn't had much action until today but the jays have got it figured out.

I've been sitting at my desk watching the Blue Jays through the window. I've seen several fly to the regular birdbath which is frozen solid this morning. They tilt their heads from side to side for a minute then fly over to the heated (unfrozen) bath that that we introduced about a week ago. It hadn't had much action until today but the jays have got it figured out.[/QUOTE

Are you going through a frozen period where you are, Dan?

Sounds like bird heaven with the birdbath - heated bird bath luxury for all birds !!!

A heated bird bath sounds wonderful, Dan, and I'm sure your visitors are most grateful.

Kathy; this is what I am looking at through window today. The frozen birdbath is towards the top on the right and heated one is green and about 25% up from the bottom of the shot.

Attachments

• IMG_5034.JPG
    IMG_5034.JPG
    670.3 KB · Views: 40
Be cautious with heated bird baths - they can tempt birds to bathe in cold weather, and they then leave with wet feathers which freeze solid.

Be cautious with heated bird baths - they can tempt birds to bathe in cold weather, and they then leave with wet feathers which freeze solid.

Never knew that could happen - at least it is unlikely in the Uk I hope! Not cold enough!

Kathy; this is what I am looking at through window today. The frozen birdbath is towards the top on the right and heated one is green and about 25% up from the bottom of the shot.

So cold ..... makes the UK weather look mild.

At least your birds have you, and you have a heart of gold to care so much for them :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back