• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mute swans tagging (2 Viewers)

claudia.c

Hi,

I was just wondering, can anybody tell me more about the mute swans tagging?
I can see that nearly all the animals have different yellow -some are also green- tags with letters around their legs. Is there a specific organisation tagging/surveying them? Is there an online resource that can explain what the letters refer to?

Thank you very much : )

No there isn't a specific organisation, other than the BTO in one sense as you need a ringing licence to be able to do it. It's different groups of ringers around the country. The amount of information available online will vary from group to group.

No there isn't a specific organisation, other than the BTO in one sense as you need a ringing licence to be able to do it. It's different groups of ringers around the country. The amount of information available online will vary from group to group.

All true, but if you see a colour-ringed bird and can record the base colour, the letter colour and the inscription (and on which leg) then you can report it through EURING here

https://blx1.bto.org/euring/lang/pages/rings.jsp

and the ringing group responsible will send you details of the birds life history.

Often very interesting results and all records are useful.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back