• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D50 or D70s... and wearing glasses (1 Viewer)

mark_s

Hi all!

I've recently read a few posts about the D50 and D70s. Both obviously have pros and cons but I'm just wondering whether there are any really important functions or features for photographing birds that I'd be missing out on if I were to buy the D50 instead of the D70s.

Also, has anyone had any experience using either of these cameras whilst wearing glasses - is it still possible to read all the information provided in the viewfinder with glasses on?

Any other information on your experiences with the D50/D70s would be very much appreciated.

(BTW, some background info about my digicam needs: I'm a complete newbie to birding but am an experienced digicam amateur. Also, I'm not planning on using a scope).

I can speak from experience having used both. The extra features of the D70 are'nt something i've missed when out photographing birds. The main extra on the D70 seems to be the ability to fire an external flash remotely [or something like that!]- other than that it's really smaller things like less tweaks on the ISO with the D50. Only having one control wheel just is'nt an issue if you're sticking to AP or SP. It takes a bit longer if you're using fully manual but I think people take more time setting up fully manual settings anyway and it's not something you'd tend to change quickly. The menus are easy to access on both cameras and the controls easy to use. I've had no problem reading info in the viewfinder. Not sure how the prices are where you are but the D50 has dropped in price here to the stage where it's nearly 200.00 cheaper [349.00] so to me it makes sense to go for the D50 and spend the extra on a better lens.

I went with the d50 after reading reviews very little between the too,
go for the d50 you won't be disapointed..reviews at dpreviews

Got it!

Many thanks for all your input... the D50 has arrived and I'm very happy with it.

First impressions: a great solid camera with all the point-and-shoot features for the beginner and plenty of options to play with for more creative control. And all that plus two zoom lenses at a great price! |=)|

Nikon D70s

gloygum said:
I have a D70 & use it whilst wearing glasses. No real problems with this.
Hello Gloygum, I am relatively new to bird photography and as you are a fellow D70s user, I thought you might be able to help me out a bit. If you cant maybe someone will read this and get back to me? I have a Nikon D70s and Sima 70-300 lense and I feel I cant get close enough to the subject. I am not in a position to be able to get a sigmonster or something similar, so I was wondering about getting a 2X teleconverter. I would be grateful for any info. Thanks Mali.

Hi Mali,

Not sure I can help you with the teleconverter, as I have never used one. I used to have the same problem as you --- I had (still have, collecting dust) a Nikon 70-300 G & was never getting close enough. Also, this was a rubbish lens in terms of optical quality but I did learnt heaps by using it.

So, I upgraded to the Tamron 200-500. I really like this & it is exactly the right level for me at the mo. Big enough to get some okay shots, but small enough that I can handhold it. Any bigger & I can't just wander about & enjoy that-there nature. Also I live in California at the moment, where it is sunny. I shudder to think how It'd get on photographing gulls in Hastings on a February afternoon!

What I can tell you about the teleconverter, is that you'd best make sure your lens is up to it in the first place. Sticking a t/c on a slightly dodgy lens will lead to disappointing results...or so I am told. And it makes sense --- you magnify the image, you magnify the imperfections of the original lens.

For example, my old 70-300 would never have coped with the extra magnification. Your sigma might be able to.

So sorry; not much help. Just make sure you try the t/c before you buy!

The hard fact is that 300 mm is on the short side for most birding. You did not say exactly what Sigma 70-300 model you have (there are 2 current models, and a few more past models), so I cannot be precise about using a teleconverter.

Tamron teleconverters work with HSM (electronic) as well as mechanical autofocus (the "screwdriver" type), but don't work well with Sigma HSM lenses and D70s bodies (in practice it works like AF-C even if you set the body to AF-S). A further problem is that autofocus with lenses slower than f/5.6 does not work with a D70s. Your Sigma zoom is f/5.6 at 300 mm (i.e., f/8 with a 1.4 TC, or f/11 with a 2x TC). Teleconverters differ in how they report diaphragm settings to the camera body, so, depending on this, autofocus with a Tamron teleconverter will either not work at all or work poorly.

Sigma teleconverters usually work well with Sigma lenses that have HSM autofocus. Sigma teleconverters don't have mechanical autofocus couplings, and neither do Nikon teleconverters. However, even if your Sigma 70-300 has HSM, I am afraid you are out of luck. It seems Sigma teleconverters cannot be used on any of their 70-300. Sigma teleconverters are designed for bigger lenses, and their front elements protrudes from the lens mount and prevent the attachment of lenses with a back element located near the back of the lens. Same thing with the Nikon teleconverters.

In conclusion, you should try a Tamron teleconverter and make sure it works with your lens (i.e., test it and check the pictures at home) before buying it. Probably you will lose autofocus. Be also prepared to a decrease in sharpness, because teleconverters magnify the image produced by the lens, including all its defects and aberrations, which are higher in cheaper lenses. A 1.4x TC probably is all you can use on your lens, and will turn it into a manual focus 420 mm f/8. Because of this, you might instead want to look for a second hand 500 mm f/8 reflector lens, which probably will give you sharper pictures and additional reach for not much more than the price of a good teleconverter (but will have manual focus and, on a D70s, manual exposure, plus all the peculiarities of reflector optics). Whichever you choose, a good tripod and head may also be in order.

Teleconverter Compatibilty

Take a look at the Nikonians website <http://www.nikonians.org/>. Go to the Forums, then the Nikkor Lenses section -- there is a teleconverter compatibility table that may give you lots of possibilities.

Bob

mali said:
Hello Gloygum, I am relatively new to bird photography and as you are a fellow D70s user, I thought you might be able to help me out a bit. If you cant maybe someone will read this and get back to me? I have a Nikon D70s and Sima 70-300 lense and I feel I cant get close enough to the subject. I am not in a position to be able to get a sigmonster or something similar, so I was wondering about getting a 2X teleconverter. I would be grateful for any info. Thanks Mali.

I've tried the 2x converter I use on my 80-200mm f2.8 on both a sigma 30-300mm and Tamron 28-300mm - in good light they will still actually AF but slowly. Using either AF or MF the results were pretty dire!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back