• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (29 Viewers)

My eyes were like stalks (?)

Travelling S, along the A149, past Bure Park in Great Yarmouth this morning, I spotted a White Stork in the air, way ahead. Many other birds were in the air close to it, in apparent mobbing mode.

It was soon joined by its companion, when they both circled a few times, before being lost to view, as they dropped behind the houses, towards the River Bure.

I was unable to do more than this, as the traffic was bumper-to-bumper.

A nice start to the day.

Monty's Harrier reported at Strumpshaw for the past three days- unconfirmed reports so far, hence no reports on here, RBA etc. I must admit I am sceptical, based on descriptions it sounds like Marsh Harrier, but would love to be proved wrong!

PS I thought the two White Storks were as plastic as they come John? One is ringed and they are free flying from Thrigby. Again I'd love to be corrected if wrong

PPS I'm not always this sceptical but my scepticism is getting worse by the day having listened to quite a few people over the past week make outrageous suggestions as to the identity of some of our commoner species- (Long lenses were attached!)
(Disclaimer- I know not all long lens photographers are poor at id'ing birds)

Last edited:
Evening all,

struck patch gold at Surlingham this evening: a superb male Common Redstart has graced the reserve with his presence! I first encountered him singing atop a hedgerow, and enjoyed decent views for around 45 minutes early evening. Wow! And there I was complaining to myself how quiet Spring had been thus far on the patch. A timely reminder of the joys of patch birding. My best 'find' on the patch since I started birding here. Might just treat myself to a beer tonight.

Cheers,
Jim.

Congratulations Jim- Proper patch gold, I bet your well chuffed with that one!
I'm heading over to church marsh tomorrow- hope it stays

Hi Ben.

Is one of the Storks definitely ringed? I'm not on twitter, but I do browse it and Peter Allard checked with the Thrigby keeper who said that all of their birds are ringed, and they were at Thrigby at the time of one of the sightings: See here the entries for 19th April: https://twitter.com/Yarmouthbirder

Monty's Harrier reported at Strumpshaw for the past three days- unconfirmed reports so far, hence no reports on here, RBA etc. I must admit I am sceptical, based on descriptions it sounds like Marsh Harrier, but would love to be proved wrong!

PS I thought the two White Storks were as plastic as they come John? One is ringed and they are free flying from Thrigby. Again I'd love to be corrected if wrong

PPS I'm not always this sceptical but my scepticism is getting worse by the day having listened to quite a few people over the past week make outrageous suggestions as to the identity of some of our commoner species- (Long lenses were attached!)

[Edit] Nice one Jim, a cracking bird for the patch!

Just had a pair of Hobby hunting over far east of Whitlingham Great Broad. One then flew east down the river towards Thorpe Marshes.

First, cuckoo (male) of the year as well, first heard calling then seen in flight east over the broad near the watersports center.

Welcome to BirdForum.

One Hobby was seen hunting in the area you describe about a week ago along the area of Poplars, but that's the first Cuckoo I've heard of at Whitlingham/Thorpe this year.

Just had a pair of Hobby hunting over far east of Whitlingham Great Broad. One then flew east down the river towards Thorpe Marshes.

First, cuckoo (male) of the year as well, first heard calling then seen in flight east over the broad near the watersports center.

Storks?
I too, thought these were as plastic as Orville.

How do I know if they are tickable? Go and find one, check for rings and contact the keeper to find out if any are AWOL at that time?

Is the Alysham one the more likely real one?

PS I thought the two White Storks were as plastic as they come John?

Ben: I know my enthusiasm was as inflated as the one below (and it’s likely that they are almost as ‘plastic’), but it’s not all that frequently that one sees a stork (then two) in the air (rather than aerated) from the car in the UK.

They were so distant (and optically unaided) that I was unable to distinguish the material from which they were made- but I don’t want to blow up the record out of all proportions.

Presumably, they visit the Pumphouse to maintain their pressure (?).

Attachments

• What a blow!.jpg
    What a blow!.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 81
Nice male Goodander feeding in the shallow stream under the Wiveton bridge this morning. A surprise find as I was driving past! Also today LRP, Whimbrel, Little Terns and a few Swallows and S Martins at Cley and up to Watchhouse.
A few new Whitethroats and other Warblers in today

Yes, I too was sceptical of the Monty's report when at Strumpshaw on Sunday! Having witnessed a birder ID'ing a female Marsh Harrier as a Hen Harrier from reception hide through his scope before (two with long-lenses also agreeing on the ID with him) I suspect this to be no Monty's and a case of poor ID skills...

There are both photographers and birders with scopes or bins who have poor ID skills!!

Two Swifts over North Burlingham this morning and a Red Kite drifting towards Burlingham Woods on Monday have been my highlights so far from work this week :t:

RE White Storks- I was told that one bird was ringed with a thin metal ring. I forget the wording but my informant was positive they were from captive origin.... another case of a decent bird being put into a case of near impossible to prove its providence.
Hopefully they are wrong, its interesting to hear that PA checked with the keepers and they got the all clear, so maybe it is not so clear cut.
John- I understand your excitement of seeing the Storks, difficult not to get a buzz from that as your driving along!

Bird free zone?
Not quite but hard going past couple of days. Turtle Dove plus a few Yellow Wags at Waxham yesterday and two Hobbies and Cuckoo Hickling today. Rush Hills looks absolutely perfect for a decent wader but just a lone Spotted Red this afternoon.
Mick

Calves have appeared in Field #2 (see map, below), at West Runton. With any luck, wagtails will soon join them.

Gramboro’ and the field S of the fence gave probably the same Whinchat and around 10 Wheatears.

Attachments

• West Runton fields & clifftop map.jpg
    West Runton fields & clifftop map.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 046pse.jpg
    046pse.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Just wondering how unlikely it was I saw a Black-winged Stilt at Holme 2 days ago?

It was in the first lagoon you come to, after leaving the East car park and walking along the beach. Clocked the ridiculously long, red legs, black body and white underneath. Frustratingly, as I moved along the path to get a closer look, a raptor dipped over and everything flew off.

Have there been any other reports of them recently?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back