• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

This is a bit more like it

The male Ring Ouzel remains in the ‘tank field’, at the Muckleburgh Collection. It was accompanied by a Fieldfare, Redwings and other thrushy folk.

A new male Stonechat has appeared at Gramboro’. No doubt, Noel and/or Dave&Pat will let us know of its local origins. I seem to recall talk of a double-blue, but don’t save the monthly emails.

There, I heard, then saw, my first Whimbrel- before a Swallow (my first hirundine) flew thru W.

Attachments

• 070pse.jpg
    070pse.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 019pse.jpg
    019pse.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 043pse.jpg
    043pse.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 157
Wouldn't say that the flood gates opened today, but some pleasant patch birding was had! My first Willow Warbler sung away accompanied by more Chiffchaffs. My first swallow seemed very much at home perched on overhead wirespresumably near its breeding home. It was soon followed by 6 more, with similar numbers of Sand Martin.

A single Crossbill flew over calling and Brambling were encountered, as were good numbers of Redwing, still.

Waders seemed to be moving through with the rain showers. Numerous visits throughout the day had 2 Green Sandpiper, then Redhanm and then best of all Greenshank.

The viz mig tweeting is a great idea. Here in Lowestoft we were one of the pioneers of tweet birding and its a phenominal tool. Trick is to set up your tweet contacts to make you receive mobile notification (each new tweeter added has to be activated to your mobile..easy through the twitter website). I follow many of the useful people, by doing so you get instant news, often before the pagers etc. (in example i knew of the WTE passing over Winterton by following him and getting the tweet direct to my mobile). Birds are tweeted out in the field as they are being watched which gives invaluable help in catching up with things ie overflying raptors or viz mig. There have been many days eg today where i have received 200 tweets to my mobile and in fact thats its limit daily. I always tweet my stuff out in the field as im watching and if all birders did the same and were followed we would all see far more..i highly recommend it.
All of our birds are put out on @LowestoftLizard and also ill try put on any viz mig on my own @cortonbirds (living in Hopton my viz mig stuff will actually be in "your" Norfolk as I usually watch from the clifftop pilbox at Corton MoD of Pine Bunting fame and on the county boundary (in your eyes not mine../taunt)

Last edited:
The viz mig tweeting is a great idea. Here in Lowestoft we were one of the pioneers of tweet birding and its a phenominal tool. Trick is to set up your tweet contacts to make you receive mobile notification (each new tweeter added has to be activated to your mobile..easy through the twitter website). I follow many of the useful people, by doing so you get instant news, often before the pagers etc. (in example i knew of the WTE passing over Winterton by following him and getting the tweet direct to my mobile). Birds are tweeted out in the field as they are being watched which gives invaluable help in catching up with things ie overflying raptors or viz mig. There have been many days eg today where i have received 200 tweets to my mobile and in fact thats its limit daily. I always tweet my stuff out in the field as im watching and if all birders did the same and were followed we would all see far more..i highly recommend it.
All of our birds are put out on @LowestoftLizard and also ill try put on any viz mig on my own @cortonbirds (living in Hopton my viz mig stuff will actually be in "your" Norfolk as I usually watch from the clifftop pilbox at Corton MoD of Pine Bunting fame and on the county boundary (in your eyes not mine../taunt)

I'd disagree with some of that. Although Twitter is a good way to disseminate concise real-time information, using it as as your way of putting out bird news just adds to the disjunct distribution of bird information. It relies on other observers knowing who to follow (and who not to follow |:mad:|) and that is presuming that they have a smartphone and use Twitter in the first place. I know for a fact that RBA have to spend more and more time looking for bird information on websites and other distributed locations and then have to vet the sightings before putting out the news (although they do accept new by Twitter - @RareBirdAlertUK).
What I would say is that Twitter is a very good medium for passing on lesser bird news that RBA wouldn't normally handle, vis-mig or counts of common migrants being perfect examples. I'd encourage everyone to continue to put out news to RBA first and foremost (and of course via Twitter afterwards if they so wished).
On the subject of vis-mig, there's a Yahoo group for those interested in it from a nationwide perspective.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/vismig/

Thanks for that information. I have had a look at the Twitter web site but can't see how to set up the mobile tweets. if you could help with further info then it would be much appreciated. I was out birding in Somerset yesterday and most of the time I had no internet signal so tweets direct to phone would have been most usefull. Thanks. Roger

Just got back from Whitlingham, had a adult Kittiwake in with the gulls at around 09:30. Unfortunately a motorboat then did a lap of the broad, putting up all 400-odd gulls, some of which re-landed and some didn't. I think there will be trips on the solar boat today so not sure the gulls will re-settle, but worth keeping an eye out if you are that way.

Also my first Sedge Warbler of the year and six Chiffchaffs, but no hirundines.

RBA follow me. I know this and hence dont call them directly anymore. If the Olive-backed Pipit I found at Corton hadnt been on the pager within 1 minute of me tweeting it out in the field sure I would have rung them. But I kind of see your point. To be honest very few actually call in their bird news nowadays as they should..and certainly not in real time. The fact that around 50% of RBAs East Anglian news today has come from my groups tweets has got to tell you something.....However I am not trying to bash the pager system here..I still use an RBA pager..they do a fantastic job..a great amount of news i hear first via my RBA pager...imo twitter has in fact increased the number of messages making it on to my pager, which is a good thing.

To set up messages direct to your mobile from someone you follow go to the twiiter webpage and sign in. Then click on the name of someone you follow then click the icon next to the follow/unfollow button, it will have a list of options one of which is turn on mobile notification. Do this for each person you follow that you wish to receive tweets from in the field. I follow very many valuable people this way, maybe check who i follow via my twitter page and select those you wish to follow too. However I am now having to become more selective and now generally only follow those who put out bird info rather than inane chat and the latter quickly fills your 200 tweet limit a day.

Hope this helps

WRunton produced flushed then flight views of the Jack Snipe (thank you, Ian) below (honest! zoom up&back very slowly), with unco-operative male Stonechat, Fieldfare and 4 Wheatears.

The ‘tank field’ held the male White Wagtail below- but no sign of the ROuzel.

Gramboro’ saw my first Sand Martin, 2 flava Wagtails W and BB.

Noel has, promptly, furnished the following, re ‘double Blue’. Surprisingly, it hasn’t emanated from Oxbridge, for, known "more formally as BB;GM . . . brief history of this bird:- Ringed in the nest from the 2nd brood at Arnold's Marsh in 2012; last reported there on 26.8.2012; next seen at Sea Pool, Salthouse on 17.9.2012; then Weybourne Camp on 23.9.2012; 3.10.2012 at Kelling Quags and finally at the Marrams, Blakeney on 9.10.2012. No further reports until re-appearance at Cley Beach car park on 7.4.2013 since when BB has been wandering about most likely searching for a female”.

As an aside: for those of my generation, BB used to stand for Brigitte Bardot.

Attachments

• 016pse.jpg
    016pse.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 027pse.jpg
    027pse.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 065pse.jpg
    065pse.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 100pse.jpg
    100pse.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 087pse.jpg
    087pse.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 78
Accidently sent my tweet to Norfolk_viz_mig instead of Norf_viz_mig. Anyhoo to those who dont receive -

Waxham this am. Quite an ovenight arrival - 'singing' Gropper (a few warming up vocals, not proper song), 15+ singing Willow Warblers (4 ringed, 3 new, 1 retrapped (initially ringed in may last year) there were none yesterday! First tree pipit over of the year (south), 1 yellow wag north, 2 green sands west, 2 little terns north, 1 black redstart by crazy golf on campsite. 3 fieldfare (1 ringed), 50 ish redwings left at dawn

Last edited:
Took a walk around Thorpe Station Marshes today. At last Spring finally appears to have arrived. And as if celebrating the point were three Chiffchaffs singing from the tall trees on Bungalow Lane

Regards Paul

Attachments

• Chiffchaff 1.JPG
    Chiffchaff 1.JPG
    455.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Chiffchaff 3.JPG
    Chiffchaff 3.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 71
To set up messages direct to your mobile from someone you follow go to the twiiter webpage and sign in. Then click on the name of someone you follow then click the icon next to the follow/unfollow button, it will have a list of options one of which is turn on mobile notification. Do this for each person you follow that you wish to receive tweets from in the field. I follow very many valuable people this way, maybe check who i follow via my twitter page and select those you wish to follow too. However I am now having to become more selective and now generally only follow those who put out bird info rather than inane chat and the latter quickly fills your 200 tweet limit a day.

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Many thanks. Easy when you know how. Regards Roger

Norwich: Woodcock

Sat 13th April 2013:
Norwich: Woodcock flew SW past our house 7.10am and another flew WSW over south end Sloughbottom Park & into adjoining Sweetbriar Marsh 3.20pm . Second seen from garden in last three years.

Last edited:
2 Willow Warbler singing at Surlingham Church Marsh today. 2 Swallow here, and 2 more at Rockland. Plenty of common Raptors on the wing. Somehow missed the pair of Garganey reported from rockland marshes. I did grill the marshes, but not the right bit evidently! 4 Green sandpiper at Wood's End were a small consolation.
Cheers,
Jim.

I have often been tempted to join the raptor watchers on the coast, intrigued about the feeling of picking up a bird far in the distant and following it drifting across the horizon. I have been fortunate enough to have seen many Red Kites inland (and the occasional bird on the coast) but never really felt that these birds had travelled from one extremity to the other. Even last year when I was lucky to encounter 4 or 5 in a breeding area, with one that travelled up through the valley, it still didn't feel anything more than a loafing bird.

This theme continues on my 'new' local patch. As DA put it for our first, 'I suppose a Red Kite (our first on the patch) might have been a spring migrant but I doubt it.' Even more recent sightings (4 in two days of (a) pristine adult), coinciding with the recent movement mentioned by Mick, had better credentials, but still not the migration 'buzz'.

Today that feeling change: I was out on my local patch and was very happy to pick up two birds interacting together, 'Last week's bird has found a mate', I thought. Moving further west, another bird was picked up distantly. I presumed it to be one of the pair I had just seen. It soon disappeared off east. Then things changes: one, then two and finally three birds were picked up way out to the west. They slowly but steadily cruised east, occasionally circling and banking, but always making distinct progress: migration in action, definitely a different feeling to 'loitering' birds!

Enjoying the tales of your new patch David, keep it coming.

Tomorrow looks to have potential for an arrival. What are your target birds folks, for tomorrow and the coming weeks?
Personally, Im desperate to catch up with the Rockland Garganey but Osprey and Red-footed Falcon very much on my mind.

Cheers,
Jim.

Cetti's display

My highlight today on the North Norfolk coast was a pair of Cetti's in a bramble displaying to each other no more than five feet away from me! Something I have never witnesed before :t: Both birds were very vocal (but one bird more than the other) with tails in full spread and continuous opposing wingbeats (left wing up, right down etc.). I've attached a few photos to try and illustrate my description above which probably makes little or no sense!

Anyway it was great to watch and the sound was incredible!!

Keith

Attachments

• Cetti's, 13-04-13_1.jpg
    Cetti's, 13-04-13_1.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Cetti's, 13-04-13_2.jpg
    Cetti's, 13-04-13_2.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Cetti's, 13-04-13_3.jpg
    Cetti's, 13-04-13_3.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Cetti's, 13-04-13_4.jpg
    Cetti's, 13-04-13_4.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Cetti's, 13-04-13_5.jpg
    Cetti's, 13-04-13_5.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 132
Enjoying the tales of your new patch David, keep it coming.

Tomorrow looks to have potential for an arrival. What are your target birds folks, for tomorrow and the coming weeks?
Personally, Im desperate to catch up with the Rockland Garganey but Osprey and Red-footed Falcon very much on my mind.

Cheers,
Jim.

Thanks, Jim,
I'm just hoping for a Ring Ouzel or Wheatear, or the 'pinnacle' Black Redstart

My highlight today on the North Norfolk coast was a pair of Cetti's in a bramble displaying to each other no more than five feet away from me! Something I have never witnesed before :t: Both birds were very vocal (but one bird more than the other) with tails in full spread and continuous opposing wingbeats (left wing up, right down etc.). I've attached a few photos to try and illustrate my description above which probably makes little or no sense!

Anyway it was great to watch and the sound was incredible!!

Keith

Stunning examlpes of a rarely seen behaviour, thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back