• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lost Land of the Dodo (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
Avian paleontologist Anthony Cheke and world class bird artist Julian Hume are telling the story of the lost Mascarene bird fauna in this richly illustrated book.

Scheduled for a release in mid October (if there is no new delaying).

It seems to have been available from the US amazon since march of this year for $91.13(!), but it is in hardcover and is over 500 pages long. I will try to interlibrary loan it.

Lost Land of the Dodo - this superb book will finally be published next week!

I look forward to hearing people's thoughts on this title. Any queries please drop me an email,

Cheers,
Jim

Yesterday, i got my copy of this book and i must say it is really worth buying. The accounts about the extinct species are very comprehensive and to every described species there are translated quotes from well-known travellers on the Mascarenes like Leguat or Dubois. You'll learn little known and interesting facts about the Dodo, e.g. that it occurred in caves. There are top notch paintings of extinct birds of which several can be seen in the collection of the Natural History Museum and there are interesting old sketches. There is also a chapter about conservation on Mauritius by Dr. Carl Jones. If there is an award for bird books in 2008 this one will deserve one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back