• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (7 Viewers)

Nice record... Where abouts? I would'nt mind having a look
Peter, any idea when the last one was recorded in the Coolies? I recall someone saying they were present till the late 60's but don't remember any records since.
It was 900m east of Clarmontpass Bridge. I regularly see RG (or their pellets) in other areas, but despite walking in the Coolies between 10-12 hours a week, this was the first sign of their presence. I had a quick check around the day I saw it and returned the following night, but found nothing.

Peter, any idea when the last one was recorded in the Coolies? I recall someone saying they were present till the late 60's but don't remember any records since.
It was 900m east of Clarmontpass Bridge. I regularly see RG (or their pellets) in other areas, but despite walking in the Coolies between 10-12 hours a week, this was the first sign of their presence. I had a quick check around the day I saw it and returned the following night, but found nothing.

Thanks Derek. I am not sure when the last wild one was seen. If memory serves me right Breffni found one on a raod and thought it might be a bird that escaped as birds are thought to be imported for hunting.

Thanks for the information...

We bizarrely found a dead red grouse on the main drag in Blackrock a couple of years ago, desiccated and stiff but no sign of shot. The gun clubs still release british birds in the mournes and possibly the cooleys, despite the recent confirmation that the irish race, while not rising to sub-specific status, is sufficiently genetically distinct to merit conservation. There is no control of bird release either north or south.

Yesterday at Port Oriel. 4-5 Glaucous Gulls (2 adults and 2-3 first winters).
Also a 1st winter Glaucous x Great Black Backed Hybrid.

2 Velvet Scoter were off the south end of Cruisetown beach.

An adult Ring Billed Gull was present in Drogheda town, feeding with gulls between McDonalds and the park.

Owen

A few more shots of the Clogher Head Glaucous Gulls

Attachments

• glaucous gull adult 2 (1024x683).jpg
    glaucous gull adult 2 (1024x683).jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 51
  • glaucous adult1 (1024x683).jpg
    glaucous adult1 (1024x683).jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 63
  • glaucous gull adult 3 (1024x683).jpg
    glaucous gull adult 3 (1024x683).jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 43
  • glaucous gull adult 4 (1024x683).jpg
    glaucous gull adult 4 (1024x683).jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 57
Lurgangreen Patchwork Challenge

I have had a slow start to February with the patchwork challenge. No new birds in the first two weeks of the month. Last week was fairly good with seven species added for the year. Gadwall, Med Gull, Ruff, Red-throated and Great Northen Diver and Mistle Thrush. Strange enough the best bird a fly by Black Guillemot apparently a new species for the Lurgangreen list..
Still nothing rare despite the fairly intensive effort. But its early days yet.

82 species; 97 points

Last edited:
black guillemot a good record - what plumage? i had one in almost full summer plumage yesterday in carlingford lough. Also had 167 rb mergs flocking together at same location. Not seen a scaup on carlingford lough this winter so far - has anyone else?

black guillemot a good record - what plumage? i had one in almost full summer plumage yesterday in carlingford lough. Also had 167 rb mergs flocking together at same location. Not seen a scaup on carlingford lough this winter so far - has anyone else?

The Black Guillemot was still in winter plumage. I saw a female Scaup. I think it was at Cruisetown with the Scoter flock sometime in January.

Yesterday baltray to dundalk.

Short eared owl at cruisetown.
In the morning a first year glaucous was at port oriel but not much else.
A chiffchaff was on the lane at hermitage.
Two Twite were at lurgangreen.
A ruff was at dundalk docks.

In the evening back at cruisetown strand two first winter glaucous, a first winter ring billed and star of the show, a first winter American herring gull were present at the south end of the beach as the tide dropped.
These birds dispersed widely, right up as far as Dunany when the tide was low.

Owen

Niall Keogh will give a talk entitled Oceanic Wonders & Migration on the Edge! - seawatching & the Seatrack project" at 7:30pm at the Spirit Store this evening.

Yesterday baltray to dundalk.

Short eared owl at cruisetown.
In the morning a first year glaucous was at port oriel but not much else.
A chiffchaff was on the lane at hermitage.
Two Twite were at lurgangreen.
A ruff was at dundalk docks.

In the evening back at cruisetown strand two first winter glaucous, a first winter ring billed and star of the show, a first winter American herring gull were present at the south end of the beach as the tide dropped.
These birds dispersed widely, right up as far as Dunany when the tide was low.

Owen

A good day out by any standards! Where did you have the Twite? I need them for the Patchwork Challenge..

The best today at Lurgangreen this evening were 3 Slavonian Grebes and 5 Pink-footed Geese on the marsh. Greylag have become very scarce recently at Lurgangreen.

Oscar Merne Bird Hide News Winter 2013/2014

A newsletter attached with recent hide/bird related news from Lurgangreen County Louth. I hope to produce them quarterly ie every 3 months

Attachments

• LurgangreenNewsletter.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 185
A good day out by any standards! Where did you have the Twite? I need them for the Patchwork Challenge..

The best today at Lurgangreen this evening were 3 Slavonian Grebes and 5 Pink-footed Geese on the marsh. Greylag have become very scarce recently at Lurgangreen.

Hi Peter,

With A flock of finches down the south end of lurgangreen road.
Owen

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back