Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Traveller BGA ED Finish Quality

Old Saturday 8th December 2018, 19:49   #1
mharris1984

Traveller BGA ED Finish Quality

Hi all, my first post here. Just looking for a bit of advice from fellow Opticron owners.

I bought a pair of Traveller BGA ED 8x32 today. While I am very pleased with the optical performance, the finish has left me a little disappointed. In particular the rubber coating does not sit flush with the eye pieces. It is clear where the rubber has been stretched up around the strap attachment points, and glue is clearly visible in the gaps. It is the same around the circumference of both barrels.

It is a minor cosmetic flaw, and if they're all like this then I can easily live with that. However, if I've received a particularly bad one then I'd prefer to get it exchanged.

For people who own these, do yours look any better?

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	682045
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 03:33   #2
Upland

i bought two pairs. Both had faulty diopters. The finish quality was horrible. Tried a pair at a recent bird fair. The finish was still bad. The focusing wheel was so stiff i could hardly turn it. Evidently Opticron has no pride in their binos.
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 07:36   #3
Troubador

My pair live on my workstation so were easy to go and check out. Can't find any finish flaws on this pair, everything fits together nicely.

Lee
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 08:14   #4
dalat

I recently bought one in Switzerland. Very nice bin, no issues with the finish. But I also think the issues shown in the OP would not bother me.
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 08:52   #5
PYRTLE

If you can live with it fine, otherwise return it and either try a different brand or request another pair.
Old Sunday 9th December 2018, 10:24   #6
capitoul

Here is mine if you want to make a comparison. The annoying part seems better-finished on my unit.
I'm very glad with this binocular and I can't fault it. Focus is smooth and ease of view perfect. It is my travel binocular, otherwise it lives on a bookshelf. I use it intensively on holidays (including sea trips) and just forget about it, wether it is in my bag or around my neck or when I use it. I think it is a no-hassle binocular. I bought it directly from Opticron UK one year ago.

https://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/16/96/96/90/dsc_1610.jpg
Old Monday 10th December 2018, 00:58   #7
lgguy

Mine looks very similar to that after 6 months of use, but there's no glue residue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	opticron.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	682132  
Old Thursday 13th December 2018, 14:07   #8
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharris1984 View Post
It is a minor cosmetic flaw, and if they're all like this then I can easily live with that. However, if I've received a particularly bad one then I'd prefer to get it exchanged.
Sorry to come to this rather late. If you haven't already requested an exchange via the dealer you purchased from, then I'd suggest you do so because that is not representative of the finish of the Traveller BGA ED.

If you have any problems, please email me at [email protected] and we'll get things resolved for you.

Cheers, Pete
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: