• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual birds on feeder ? (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
I live 2 floors up and have a feeder outside my balcony

Caught these 2 on the feeder - a Magpie and a Blackbird. I have never seen these 2 birds on my friends feeder and she has a proper garden with 5 more feeders than me. Is this weird to see these birds, which are normally ground feeders, behaving in this way ?

Attachments

• Magpie feeder.jpg
    Magpie feeder.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Blackbird  feeder.jpg
    Blackbird feeder.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I can't speak for Magpies Pete, as I've no experience of them believe it or not; they are virtually absent from my part of Scotland. I do know, though, that they are opportunistic feeders.

My flat is on the first floor, and I've feeders suckered to the window and I also lay a little food on the window ledge (a very narrow one). I've had Blackbirds feeding in both areas. Strangely the Blackie could maintain his balance on the window ledge but not Starlings, who flutter and struggle and usually manage to just blow all the seed to the ground LOL .

Starlings - now that is a bird she gets on her garden feeders. Loads of them , parents and young, every day

I get a few on my 2nd floor feeder but she gets a flock :)

Yeah the vandals I call them.... they always come mob-handed LOL

Hi both

I take a bird feeder away with me when I am caravanning and often get magpies raiding it! They especially go for the fat based food, high in calories I suppose. This most often happens in the middle of the country, The Malverns, Shropshire etc. Never seen a blackbird though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back