• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it worth 7X? (1 Viewer)

That is what I thought too! I was a little hesitant to try the Habicht 7x42 because of the narrow FOV but even with the narrower FOV it is an amazing binocular! I really like using it because it is so bright and sharp and it has such easy eye placement plus it is so LIGHT for a 42mm. Less than 23 oz.! I had the EDG 7x42 and I will tell you I would take the Habicht any day over it.

Do you use the black or the green armor? Is there any significant difference between those housings? It looks like the GA still has some exposed metal pieces painted green.

Marc

In terms of selecting from 7x42 models, a quick overview of the quality choices for birding would include:

A) CURRENT PRODUCTION
Leica Ultravid HD+
Swarovski Habicht Porro

If you want the latest new/ unused, the Leica is clearly the only way to go
Notwithstanding the quality of the Swarovski image (both detail and transmission) and relatively low price, keep in mind my previously stated reservations for full-time birding

B) NEAR CURRENT
Nikon EDG - v2 with single bridge (2011? to 2018)
Leica Ultravid HD (2007 to 2016)
Meopta MeoStar B1 (2005? to 2017)

If you hunt around I’m sure any of these could be found as New Old Stock. However, they can also be found far more cheaply second hand
The Leica is often particularly good value compared to the HD+ version
The Meopta is generally under rated, as optically it is perhaps 95% of the quality of the Alpha choices, but it is also heavy (31.3 oz/ 890 g)
- the main problem is that the quality of it’s coatings significantly improved during the production, but I’m unaware of how to distinguish the changes by dating/ serial numbering,
so as is always best: try before you buy

C) EARLIER
Zeiss Victory FL (2004 to 2012)
Swarovski SLC (1992 to 2009)

The high quality of the Zeiss is well known, and it has the advantage of a 150 meter FOV
The Swarovski is known for a wide sweet spot, but also for being heavy (33.5 oz/ 950 g)
- and due to it’s long production I’d recommend an SLC neu (the one with forrest green body and black bridge inserts) which was made from 2005 to 2009,
it has dielectric prism coatings which were introduced on the 7x42 in late 2000, along with the then most up-to-date AR coatings

CHOOSING
All of the above are good to great choices (excepting the reservations in relation to the Swarovski Porro), so it’s a matter of trading off features, and seeing what best works for you
- so again where possible, try before you buy
And for many, the deciding factor may be the pragmatic one - the one you can get at a good price!

COMPARISONS
For comparisons of the Leica HD+, Zeiss FL and the Nikon EDG, see Tobas Mennle’s comments: http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/a...hootoutpremier7x42s/shootoutpremier7x42s.html
n.b. Tobias is a professional photographer and as such he places a far greater stress than many more casual users would, on the perceived qualities of the image produced by binoculars

I have both a Leica HD and a Zeiss FL (along with a current Swarovski Porro) and can confirm that each is a delight, though indeed the differences are as described by Tobias

John

Last edited:
Do you use the black or the green armor? Is there any significant difference between those housings? It looks like the GA still has some exposed metal pieces painted green.

Marc
Unless you really need something that will survive the holocaust or you are into the military look I would get the black leatherette version because it is much lighter and IMO better looking than the green GA version. That is another thing nice about the Habicht's. The quality. Their build quality is 2nd to none. Every one I have purchased has been perfect in every way and I can't say that about many binoculars especially MIC binoculars I have bought. They are quite durable also. Here is one from the UK from an excellent seller called Bush-Wear and I have bought from him before and had no problems. The price new is $663.57 plus $19.63 shipping. He ships fast also. Less than a week from the UK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-...603862?hash=item4b65a11996:g:Fx8AAOSwmohc6xel

Last edited:
Much cheaper 7x option (not 42mm), but still a good bino IMO is Sightmark Solitude 7x36 XD. I purchased one a few years after selling my Zen-ray 7x36. I missed the huge field of view. It's my go to for tight space birding such as in dense growth. Other than that 7x for me is not enough magnification to ID small birds at distance.

Much cheaper 7x option (not 42mm), but still a good bino IMO is Sightmark Solitude 7x36 XD. I purchased one a few years after selling my Zen-ray 7x36. I missed the huge field of view. It's my go to for tight space birding such as in dense growth. Other than that 7x for me is not enough magnification to ID small birds at distance.

I've had that Sightmark in my "save for later" cart for a while. It looked interesting and at 9* (157m/472') look pretty wide by modern standards.

They are kind of reviewed here, compared to the Viper HD 8x42, which the reviewer found brighter at dusk.

Marc

I've had that Sightmark in my "save for later" cart for a while. It looked interesting and at 9* (157m/472') look pretty wide by modern standards.

They are kind of reviewed here, compared to the Viper HD 8x42, which the reviewer found brighter at dusk.

Marc

They are practically identical to the Zen-Ray EDII 7x36, which I previously owned. However I feel the brightness and clarity of the view between Sightmark Solitude 7x36 XD and ZR EDII go to the ZR. Yet the focus wheel and durability goes to the Sightmark. The Sightmark is definitely worth a look to anyone who wants a 7x, wide field of view, non-alpha bin.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back