• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Vortex "UHD" Line (1 Viewer)

Samolot

Released today:

Vortex took the best of the best to the next level with the new Vortex Razor UHD 8x42 RZB-3101. Ultra high definition optics create unparalleled image resolution and brightness. The Vortex Razor UHD 8x42 has a magnesium alloy chassis with rubber armor making it lightweight while also being durable. Argon gas is filled in the housing to guarantee it is water and fog proof. Lenses are fully multi-coated with a proprietary XR Plus anti-reflective coating, so you can experience quality, ultra HD optics that deliver excellent color fidelity, superb resolution, and clarity. The Vortex Razor UHD 8x42 is the perfect choice whether you are looking through a densely packed hillside or observing the finest details at close distances.

SPECIFICATION
OBJECTIVE LENS DIAMETER
42 mm
EYE RELIEF
16.7 mm
EXIT PUPIL
5.25 mm
CLOSE FOCUS
3.3 ft
FIELD OF VIEW @ 1000 YARDS
420 ft
LENGTH
7"
WIDTH
5.6"
WEIGHT
32.2 oz
WEATHER RESISTANCE
Waterproof & Fogproof
EXTERIOR FINISH
Green
BRAND
Vortex
STOCK KEY

Sizes available:
8x42
10x42
12x50
18x56

The "18x" zoom is unique. I do like the body design on these binoculars - single sleak hinge. Not much different from the current razor HD line, but maybe the optics are better. I remember trying the razor's in the past - a lot of CA, but otherwise very nice.

https://www.sportoptics.com/vortex-razor-uhd-binoculars.aspx

Very Kamakura (Maven-ish) looking at specs and design...also Maven just came out with with the B5 which includes an 18x56... Maybe they're going "back" to Japan for the flagship line?

Very interesting.

Is the UHD weight really 32.2oz, up from 24.2 for the HD? On the Vortex website they have the worng FoV for the 8x42. Perhaps it's worth checking those numbers.

David

Still waiting for confirmation that the UK distributor's specs are the real ones.
http://www.newprouk.co.uk/vortex/category/vortex_razor_ultra_hd_binoculars.html

Note the mention of AK prisms.

David

P.S. Newpro were aware of the US website discrepancies and are still waiting for confirmation of the specifications too. They've been told they are made in Japan.

P.P.S. The cheapest model, the 8x42, is listed at $2099.99 on the Vortex website.

Last edited:
A $2000 Vortex? LOL....I think I'll skip that one! Consider one can purchase a Swarovski 42mm SLC for less than that, I hope others would too.

I suspect these new binoculars are just marketing because I see no specific changes or improvements really spelled out that they made in the UHD's. I have tried several Vortex Viper HD's and Razor HD's and I saw no big difference in those two models despite Vortex claiming the Razor's are superior. I would wait on these to see a few reviews from reliable sources before I jumped on these especially at the inflated prices they are asking.

Maven, Blaser now Vortex with the same body, and they cost more than Maven. I can see Vortex selling economical to high mid-range optics- Diamondback through to the Raptor, but now they have entered a market where sales are lower- the premium glass market. It is a curious move. I wonder how Sig is doing with it's sport optics, specifically binoculars? Perhaps they (Vortex) are worried about companies like Maven, Tract, who knows.

Andy W.

Now that these are on the street looks like prices on par if not slightly below mavens. I had both mavens and UHDs to compare and for me the UHDs were better.

Those UHD's are at a terrible price point for Vortex. Used/mint/excellent condition "alpha's" can be had for the same money, so who in their right mind would pay that kind of dough for a Vortex? I just looked at prices on the two binos Tahoe mentioned......not sure how he arrived at his conclusion.

Maven B1 8x42 $900
Vortex UHD 8x42 $1400

Agreed. For that kind of money I'll stick with Swaro, Zeiss, Leica. Thanks but no thanks.

P.S. bought my SV 8.5x42's previously loved in excellent condition for less than $1500.

Vortex really blew it when they decided to go cheapo and make most of their optics in China.

So, remember that when looking for a new binocular. The reports on the Viper were not very good
when the new made in China models came out last year.

I have never considered Vortex as a real optics brand, they don't make optics just hire it out.
There are many other better choices out there.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m willing to pay that much if the performance is worth it, but I think the bulk and weight will scare off the birders. The zeiss HT 8x42 was way more compact and still had AK prisms.

I don’t know how anyone can put the Maven B1 and the Vortex UHD in the same category when optically they are in different categories. The Vortex UHD is optically an alpha class binocular. It is the ergonomics, size, and weight that are not competitive. The 1500 dollar category is a touchy space as any competitor needs to best the Swarovski SLC at the price point. Putting AK prisms into that Vortex doesn’t make it clearly outperform the SLC.

I know binocular reviews are highly subjective, but this review found the ergonomics and optical performance of the UHD's to be fairly comparable to the big 3 of Zeiss, Swaro & Leica:

While true it is disappointing Vortex has outsourced most of their models to China the UHD's are made in Japan. I personally think they are worth every penny and are a very high quality instrument. While the transmission is not as high as my Leica Noctivid's they are extremely sharp and the ergonomics are so well designed that the weight is not noticeable to me at all (though I realize mileage may vary depending on the user however). I had the older 10 x 50's HDs and upgraded to the 12 x 50 UHD's (the prices have come down quite a bit from the original MSRP) and along with the Swarovski 12 x 50 they are the only 12 power binocular that I have tried that I can hold reasonably steady for a lengthy period of time (have not tried the NL's with forehead rest).
I noticed a little bit of chromatic aberrations with the HD's but none with these UHD's. For those of you that are skeptical of the entire Vortex line I suggest you try the UHD's.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back