• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Lynx HD 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Chris 37

Some are interested in the new Kite Lynx 8x30. I received mine today and just want to give a quick first impression. Once I receive the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 I´d like to compare both thoroughly and keep one of them.
The Kite feel very good in my medium sized hands, it´s small and light, but there is still some heft to it. It is not as light as it looks and has a quality feel to it.
The eyecups are very nice, very comfortable! The focus is clockwise and very quick, a little more than one full turn from stop to stop. It turns evenly and has no slack, but just a little too hard to turn. Although that might change with some use.
The view is sharp, at least as sharp as my Conquest HD, seems even a little bit better. But, there is definately something wrong here. The blurring towards the edges starts much earlier towards the left side of the view than towards the right side. It is very apparent.

Something that is surprising me is the brightness. It is a least as good as the Conquest HD 8x32, during the day and even now in low light, as I looked down the almost dark street (with some street lights).
There is a little colour bias towards red or magenta. I noticed it by just looking at a house on the other side of the road during daylight. A test against a white sheet of paper confirmed it.
The eyecups, the main hinge and the diopter ring turn too easily. Really all three of them. That is a pity.

Of course more time is needed the test and compare.

Chris,

Thanks for the comments. Encouraging to me that you found it sharp but more worrying about the eccentric blur and tension problems. Really looking forward to the comparison with the Nikon. Appreciate you taking the plunge. :t:

David

Last edited:
Hi David,

yes, it looks very promising!
What I also find real good is the ease of view, with very big ocular lenses and really good eyecups.

One thing surprises me though. The 151m FOV doesn´t make the huge difference I was expecting, compared to the 140m of the Conquest HD.

Chris,

If it's like the Nikon, the last few meters of the FOV is marginal advantage due to higher distortion but it somehow seemed more engrossing than the Conquest HD to my eyes. It might have had something to do with the shorter ERs which I've noted before. How does the relative magnification look to you?

David

David,

I just checked it indoors on a few objects. I seems to me like in the Zeiss objects look a little bit bigger. Not sure wether it is an illusion because of the smaller FOV or an actual difference in magnification.

Chris,

I wasn't sure if my eyes were playing tricks with me either, but I got the same impression.

David

Dear Chris and David,
We have investigated the Lynx 8x30 and 10x30. From the 8x30 we found that 95% of 151m/1000m FOV was sharp. This amounts to 144 m/1000m, measured with a Möller FOV meter was sharp and there was not much distortion. We did not observe a difference in shape between the sweet spot of the two binocular tubes. The actual magnification of the 8x was 7,8x (measured) and exactly 10x for the 10x30. We learned that Kite Optics wanted good quality eyecups for the Lynxes and that wish came true, the Japanese company, which makes the Lynxes as well as the Conquests and the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 did a good job.
Light transmission was pleasant high : for the Lynx 8x30: 85% at 500 nm, and 88,3% at 550 nm. The Zeiss Conquest scored 89% at 500 nm and 91,5% at 550 nm. Eyerelief for the Lynx and the Conquest was almost the same: 15 mm for the Lynxes and 16 mm for the Conquest. As could be expected from the shape of the transmission spectra: the Lynxes had a slight red bias: a warm image impression, which is liked by some and disliked by others. The small red bias can also be observed by looking at a bright white surface.
As far as weight is concerned: the 8x30 Lynx weigs 463 grams, the 10x30 468 gramss. The Conquest 8x32 is heavier with a weight of 643 grams.
Close focus: 1.3 m for the 8x30 and the 10x30 Lynx and 1,6 m for the 8x32 Conquest.
Color dispersion is small for all binoculars and they all had good handling comfort.
Focussing speed: 1,1 revolution from close focus to infinity for the Lynxes and 1,4 revolutions for the Conquest 8x32.
The turning resistance of the Lynxes was somwhat high, which is a disadvantage for fast focussing, but an advantage for accurate focussing, since one does not slip out of focus so easily. We did not observe a low resistance for the hinges of the Lynxes , they worked fine.
The eyecups of the Conquest felt poor and we thought that this might be a weak point of these binoculars.
That is it for now,
Gijs

Hello Gijs, thanks for that!

The eyecups of the Lynx seem to be of very high quality! The problem with my sample is that their action is too loose. There are no in-between-stops, so if you want to use them in a slightly raised position, as I usually do, you need proper resistance which they don´t have.
Diopter ring and main hinge too loose as well, but again, hopefully only on this sample.

The other thing is, although they seem very sharp indeed, on this sample the complete sharp field of view seems to be pushed towards the right side of view. So that the sharpness on the right side is almost to the very edge of view while blurring starts very early on the Left.

Are you sure the Nikon M7 8x30/10x30 are produced in Japan? I think it was Dalat who said they were made in China, as written on the binocular.

Chris,
The Janpanese company which makes the Monarch, the Lynx and the Conquest does have a large factory in China, so it could very well be that the Monarch is made in China.
The reason that the Lynx and the Conques are more expensive might than be, that they are made in the Japanese factory, but I have to check that.
Gijs

Chris,
The Janpanese company which makes the Monarch, the Lynx and the Conquest does have a large factory in China, so it could very well be that the Monarch is made in China.
The reason that the Lynx and the Conques are more expensive might than be, that they are made in the Japanese factory, but I have to check that.
Gijs

The Nikon Monarchs are made in China, and the Zeiss Conquest is
made in Germany. The Zeiss Terra is made in China, and that may
be the one you were thinking of.

Jerry

Jerry,
The Conquest is mainly a Japanese product made by Kamakura and Zeiss did not make a secret of it. Using the conditions posed by German law, Zeiss could put the label "made in Germany"on the Conquests by performing a certain percentage of the assembly of the Conquests in Germany. I have not investigated it, but it would not surprise me if the Terra is coming from the large Chinese factory, Kamakura runs in China. There is nothing wrong with that, but the psychology of us customers rank "made in germany"higher obviously than "made in China" allthough the i-pad and other topquality products are also made in China and that is really well-made stuff.
Gijs

Jerry,
The Conquest is mainly a Japanese product made by Kamakura and Zeiss did not make a secret of it. Using the conditions posed by German law, Zeiss could put the label "made in Germany"on the Conquests by performing a certain percentage of the assembly of the Conquests in Germany. I have not investigated it, but it would not surprise me if the Terra is coming from the large Chinese factory, Kamakura runs in China. There is nothing wrong with that, but the psychology of us customers rank "made in germany"higher obviously than "made in China" allthough the i-pad and other topquality products are also made in China and that is really well-made stuff.
Gijs

Gijs I think the laws in the USA are rather more rigorous than European law when it comes to 'country of origin' and how much 'value' or work is done where.

Conquest HD, despite components being made in Japan, qualifies as made in Germany under US law.

If I have got that wrong, someone will no doubt point it out :eat:

Lee

Lee,
I agree with you, we also have laws for it in Europe and they may be different for the USA laws, but that still can mean that all parts are produced in Japan and that the assembly or (a specific part of it described by USA law) is done in Germany. As I said before, I find that no problem at all, since Kamakura produces excellent instruments, both to look at as to look through and I am certain that Zeiss took care that Kamakura received the latest Zeiss coating technology for production of the Conquest lenses and prisms, otherwise the Conquest probably would not perform as they do.
Gijs

Lee,
I agree with you, we also have laws for it in Europe and they may be different for the USA laws, but that still can mean that all parts are produced in Japan and that the assembly or (a specific part of it described by USA law) is done in Germany. As I said before, I find that no problem at all, since Kamakura produces excellent instruments, both to look at as to look through and I am certain that Zeiss took care that Kamakura received the latest Zeiss coating technology for production of the Conquest lenses and prisms, otherwise the Conquest probably would not perform as they do.
Gijs

Gijs

I have no problem with the Kamakura connection either.

Actually, I think the T* and P coatings may be applied in Germany, although I am not 100% sure of that.

Lee

Gijs

I have no problem with the Kamakura connection either.

Actually, I think the T* and P coatings may be applied in Germany, although I am not 100% sure of that.

Lee

I may have got it wrong but I thought we were told somewhere along the line that Kamakura had installed Zeiss coating technology.

David

I may have got it wrong but I thought we were told somewhere along the line that Kamakura had installed Zeiss coating technology.

David

David

Yes someone did say that but I think (not certain) a Zeiss person said the coatings are done in Germany and this contributed significantly to the value added in Germany and helped satisfy US country of origin laws.

I would be happier if I could track down this quote in case I dreamed it up.

Lee

Anyway, what's the difference between "Made in Germany" and "Made in Japan", apart from that the vague sentiment that Germany= Quality might be a little stronger than Japan = Quality to some?

The equation that usually is applied to outsourcing in China (saving in labour costs at the price of lower quality) certainly doesn't apply to Japan, where labour costs and manufucturing quality do not differ much from Germany at least at a general level.

Last edited:
Same here!
I ordered the Nikon Monarch 7's 8x30 from B&H today and I get them Tuesday so I will let you all know how they are. They finally came in. I think Adorama has them also. The light weight(15 oz.) and small size are the attraction. They are almost a compact. I don't expect them to optically compare with my Swarovision's 8x32 or my Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32.

Last edited:
Lee,
European law demands that an instrument can only be reported as being made in Europe when it is made functional in Europe. That means for the Conquests that it is made completely ready in Japan,including the application of the specific Zeiss coatings, except for the placement of the eyecups, since it is not functional without the eyecups. In Wetzlar, Germany the eycups are put in place and that allows Zeiss to sell the Conquests as being made in Germany. It is that simple.
Gijs

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back