• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I want to buy a spotting scope for target shooting (1 Viewer)

The tone seems a little uncharitable.

The OP is looking for help, not a lecture. A friendly answer is never inappropriate.
Surely it is not unreasonable to share any thoughts or opinions we have on scopes in a civil manner, without getting legalistic.

IMO, hunters and birders share a common interest in nature and wildlife and hunters here in the US are much more action oriented for habitat conservation than the birding community. Shooters are hobbyists, not hostiles.

Let's hope, eh?

NO I don't hope. Up until this thread I had thought I had joined a forum of sensible intelligent people with a lot of expertise they were glad to share.

To me there are a lot of people here who could give him/her a lot of good advice about a spotting scope. Just because he/she is a target shooter there is no reason to deny him that information.

After all it is better that they shoots pieces of paper than living things.

Sadly I don't know enough to advise him but I certainly don't think they deserve the type of reply which many here have made.

John,

the original post is entirely counter to what Birdforum's about: it's Birdforum, not Shootingforum - the clue is in the name.

There's nothing pedantic about that.

This is also not Binnocularforum or Insectforum or Mammalforum or Cameraforum etc etc...... you get the picture, but I dont see anyone objecting to any of those because its not bird related but then again of course not because none of those contain the word shooting do they.

The only one I've used is the Yukon 100mm. Very light for it's size but had a plastic feel to it. I didn't like the focus knobs very well because the where a bit hard to turn making it hard to get a good sharp image. I didn't use it much but I wasn't greatly impressed with it for the short time I used it. It still worked good and should be fine for target shooting but at that price range there are better options out there.

Out of the other two you probably don't want the 20x-50mm just because 20x just isn't enough mag to see bullet holes very well at least for my eyes unless you are shooting at close distances. I had a scope with a fixed 25x and I hated it for target shooting. The 15-45x-60mm would be better then the 20x-50mm so I'd say it would be between the 100mm and 60mm.

If you don't mind can I make a sugestion. You might want to consider this scope http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexskyline . It's on sale right now and its a great scope for a great price. I liked it better then the Yukon 100mm especially if your going to use it for anything other then target shooting.

Well, I for one joined this forum thinking it seemed a place populated with friendly knowledgable folks with whom one could enter into discussions with. I guess it seemed civilized.

While I still think that, this thread has proved, that like all internet forums, there are a lot of overly opinioniated souls who value highly the sound of their own opinion. I wonder if some of the folks blasting the OP here have ever bashed anybody for being judgemental?

Personally count me in with John Russel, AdamW, etudiant and others. I bet the OP is thinking "boy this place isn't as civilized as it seemed".

The OP can feel free to PM me for some advice if he wishes. I'm venturing no further into this.

Last edited:
This is also not Binnocularforum or Insectforum or Mammalforum or Cameraforum etc etc...... you get the picture, but I dont see anyone objecting to any of those because its not bird related but then again of course not because none of those contain the word shooting do they.

Read the forum's policy - it is a forum for the enjoyment of wild birds and other wildlife. In neither of his two posts did he state any interest in wildlife, or actually even refer to wildlife. All the above examples you post are related to wildlie or the enjoyment of. Shooting is not related to the enjoyment of wildlife, except when it is killing it.

While I still think that, this thread has proved, that like all internet forums, there are a lot of overly opinioniated souls who value highly the sound of their own opinion.

Opinion has been cast both ways, Adam and John equally 'opinionated' as I and Keith, etc. And that is what forums are for, to express opinions and probably disagree with those of the others. Doesn't mean any of us believe us better or more worthy than others, and nor does it mean any of us 'value highly the sound of our own opinion'.

I want to buy a spotting scope for target shooting. I would like info and thoughts on three scopes that I am considering. First is Yukon 6-100x100 http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/6100x100ae_kit_spotting_scope-15-1571/
Second is Firefall 15-45x60SE Spotting Scope http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/1545x60se_kit_spotting_scope-15-1570/ and third Firefall 20x50 Spotting Scope http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/20x50_spotting_scope-15-1568/
I need opinions because I don't live where I can handle and compare scopes so suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
PR

Of course Paul you could always try out / handle a scope from the same place that you buy your targets from..... I would have thought that they would cater for shooters with shooting accessories such as bullets and scopes ;)

of course that may be me being just a little too pedantic :-C

......... and back to my question from post #8 that still asks "when you have been studying other forums why on earth do you see this bird forum as the ideal place to ask a question for a shooting aid".... the countless shooting forums will have ready made anwsers from like minded people.

but of course this was a wind up and got you the reaction you were expecting!

Last edited:
Read the forum's policy - it is a forum for the enjoyment of wild birds and other wildlife. In neither of his two posts did he state any interest in wildlife, or actually even refer to wildlife. All the above examples you post are related to wildlie or the enjoyment of. Shooting is not related to the enjoyment of wildlife, except when it is killing it.

Maybe you are right but i just cannot see the need for such an attitude towards a perfectly reasonable question it might not be strictly bird related but its obviously closely linked to something that is.

If he had asked about a hunting scope i could understand the objection but i just simply cant see the need for it in this situation.

I've seen a number of post asking for info on optics for non bird related uses such as camera lenses not for wildlife use bins for sporting events etc.. care to explain why you havent strongly objected to those other than the fact they dont contain the word shooting?

BF is primarily a birding and wildlife forum,however it has evolved over the years to a place where you are able to discuss the different spinoffs from the main subjects.

Whilst we would prefer shooting to stay off the forums we are all sensible enough to know that it will occasionally crop up in any subject involving equipment and at any part of the discussion.

Common sense is required if we are to keep some sort of order and FWIW I think we all have to give and take a bit in these situations.

BF has become a well known place to discuss optics on the internet, which is due entirely to the members who post about them, and it covers the spectrum from hunting to star watching. However, we do draw the line at telescopic rifle sights.

We are never ever going to satisfy everyone but experience tells me most of the members on here will try and be as helpful and friendly as they can to people who have asked a question.

So what I am trying to say in a roundabout way is please cut a little slack if the post does not dwell upon shooting a live animal be it feather or fur.

eyethangewe

Steve

Hi Steve, I see you have some excellent bird photos with the camera. I esp. like the Kestrel and Osprey.:t:

Last edited:
Hi Paul.

I hope you're still around but if that's the case, maybe this might be a scope you like:

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/scopes/xl/index.htm

I have owned the predecessor Spotter XL I , and found it had excellent sharpness, even at the higher magnifications. It is a sturdy little scope, lightweight but with a solid feel to it. Unfortunately, for me as a spectacle wearer, the field of view wasn't wide enough for birding. For non-moving targets or if you don't wear specs, it's an excellent little scope, I can recommend it to you.

Please ignore the white noise on this thread coming from the more zelotic members, who find that making their point is far more important than helping out a stranger in need of information.

Best regards,

Ronald

I too am surprised and disappointed with the tone of the replies.To attempt to answer Paul's question'
Many years ago when I was looking for a "birding"telescope I had various literature from "Metwood Optics" and Ross optics were still available and they advertised a 20x60 spotting scope which was suitable for target use. I eventually bought a Nickel Supra.
My advice therefore is to choose a 20 to 30x single magnification telescope. I had not come across Yukon as a manufacturer before so I would tend to choose a model from a well known optical manufacturer depending on your budget.
I suspect fancy ED lenses not necessary which gives you opprtunity to save money.
Look at Opticron for value for money or Swarvoski if you're loaded (no pun intended honest).

Cameraland NY (USA)offers a pretty decent scope..brand Kruger Optics,made for columbia corporation ,model malheur 60MM...ED glass,angled scope,full featured with a zoom and field case..for 179 US dollars...thats 112 UK pounds...even with shipping and Custom Duties,if applies,You get a great deal....maybe not a great birding scope,but good enough to shoot cans at a landfill with an M-16..(oh those were the days, back in New Mexico!!!)

Just discovered this post- wow! Poor guys probably run a mile. He was treated shamefully. He probably felt like he'd just shot the last panda not a paper target.

I have asked questions about optics on astro forums and hunting ones and made it plain that I'm a birder with no interest in things astro or hunting and have been welcomed and given excellent advice. Not a hint of being given a hard time.

Perhaps if the OP had been welcomed to BF instead of hounded, he may have given up shooting and taken up birding and talking about optics instead.

Who knows perhaps it will be a hunter (or maybe a target shooter) that becomes the next conservation champion in the same way that Peter Scott turned away from shooting wildfowl to set up the Wildfowl Trust to try to save them and their habitats.

Interesting thread.

I think the underlying problem here is that this IS a bird forum, hence the name. MOST people on here, myself included, see this forum as a place to discuss all things birding. After all, you'd think we all share a common interest - that of WATCHING and PHOTOGRAPHING birds.

The optics threads are, by design, setup to discuss optics for the viewing of birds.

When a new post is started that implies that the poster finds amusement and some sort of sadistic pleasure from shooting birds, it is not too much of a surprise that the reactions start to roll in.

If I live to be 150, I will never understand the mindset of someone that gets their kicks by killing the fauna we share this earth with. Totally mind-boggling. I understand though, that these things do go on. But I don't expect it to be discussed on a birding forum.

Interesting thread.

I think the underlying problem here is that this IS a bird forum, hence the name. MOST people on here, myself included, see this forum as a place to discuss all things birding. After all, you'd think we all share a common interest - that of WATCHING and PHOTOGRAPHING birds.

The optics threads are, by design, setup to discuss optics for the viewing of birds.

When a new post is started that implies that the poster finds amusement and some sort of sadistic pleasure from shooting birds, it is not too much of a surprise that the reactions start to roll in.

If I live to be 150, I will never understand the mindset of someone that gets their kicks by killing the fauna we share this earth with. Totally mind-boggling. I understand though, that these things do go on. But I don't expect it to be discussed on a birding forum.

Go back to sleep.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back