• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

£500 to spend - what should I get? (1 Viewer)

scampo said:
Well she was - or seemed - new to the hobby and keen to learn (obviously I fooled her I knew something about bird watching. I seem to look brighter than I really am).

Not me I don't think, definately not new to the hobby!!!!! Been birding since I was born, but rusty as massive gap in my life when I wasn't birding at all and only getting back into it since I moved back here a few years ago, so I could have appeared to be 'new to the hobby'!!!! Was it January 1st by any chance, as I looked through someone's elses scope in fading light at Titchwell on that day? OR Maybe it was BF's HelenElizabeth, I have seen her at Titchwell???

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

postcardcv said:
I am sure that in favourable conditions the ED50 could be fine for seawatching, and I'm not knocking the scope I think it's an amazing little beast. However on an early morning seawatch I think the light gathering would become and issue. I also feel the limited zoom range could make ID'ing distant birds tricky, I like the fact that my scope delivers a useably sharp image even at 60x. Useable high mag can make the difference between ID'ing a bird or having to put it down as skua sp. for me that's an important issue.
Well, I can't disagree with that but many sea-watchers seem to stick with 30x or 40x to get a wide fov. I find at 60x that the haze often diminishes the image.

Penny Clarke said:
Not me I don't think, definately not new to the hobby!!!!! Been birding since I was born, but rusty as massive gap in my life when I wasn't birding at all and only getting back into it since I moved back here a few years ago, so I could have appeared to be 'new to the hobby'!!!! Was it January 1st by any chance, as I looked through someone's elses scope in fading light at Titchwell on that day? OR Maybe it was BF's HelenElizabeth, I have seen her at Titchwell???

Best Wishes Penny :girl:
I can't really remember, Penny. The lady was about mid fifties or more, shortish - maybe about 5'3" and, I think, blonde with wavy hair! The scope was her first, I recall that. She was with her hubby.

scampo said:
I can't really remember. The lady was about mid fifties, about 5'3" and, I think, blonde! The scope was her first, I recall that. She was with her hubby.

definitely not penny. if it was and you think she is mid fifties then frankly old boy you need better optics :gn:

pduxon said:
definitely not penny. if it was and you think she is mid fifties then frankly old boy you need better optics :gn:

Well, thanks for not pointing out that it couldn't have been me either, Pete!

*strikes Pete off pm list* ;)

Helenelizabeth2 said:

uh? uh? uh?

thinks

right buy chocolate AND a bagguette!

Helenelizabeth2 said:

Oh Peter - now you're in trouble. Never upset a Leo!!!

(-;

scampo said:
I can't really remember, Penny. The lady was about mid fifties or more, shortish - maybe about 5'3" and, I think, blonde with wavy hair! The scope was her first, I recall that. She was with her hubby.

No Pete is right ;) :D definately not me in mid fifties!!!!, height close, 5'4'', Straight hair and NOT with husband (not with anyone :-C )

Talking of women's ages, Penny, I've just watched ITV's "Ten Years Younger" - what a terrible, terrible programme that is. I think I'm glad I'm a man!

scampo said:
Talking of women's ages, Penny, I've just watched ITV's "Ten Years Younger" - what a terrible, terrible programme that is. I think I'm glad I'm a man!
Didn't watch it this evening, I do sometimes, yes its horrific what some people go through to look younger. Should look after yourself in the first place!!!!!!

I coming back as a man in the next life!!!! you definately get it easier - men mature and look better with age I think - well up to about 60ish!! and woman (some!) just get old and wrinkly!!!!!

Penny Clarke said:
Didn't watch it this evening, I do sometimes, yes its horrific what some people go through to look younger. Should look after yourself in the first place!!!!!!

I coming back as a man in the next life!!!! you definately get it easier - men mature and look better with age I think - well up to about 60ish!! and woman (some!) just get old and wrinkly!!!!!

Helen Mirren still looks pretty good at 61.

OI HE2 your surname wouldn't by coincidence be Mirren?

Penny Clarke said:
No Pete is right ;) :D definately not me in mid fifties!!!!, height close, 5'4'', Straight hair and NOT with husband (not with anyone :-C )

for all single blokes.....

Penny was strolling down the path from Titchwell Car park. I was coming the other way with reader.

Now us BF200 twitchers brush up on our id skills. Female, blonde hair. Nikon ED50 scope um so I introduced myself.

The event was witness by Cheryl who was birding with us and she reported to the group. "Pete accosted the best looking female birder we saw all day".

Penny seems to have forgotten this. :-C :-C :-C

getting thread back on track.

IF it was my only scope and weight wasn't important to you I'd go for the Opticron ES80 ED with HDF zoom.

However if you want something lightweight to stick in rucksack etc then I'd go for the ED50.

pduxon said:

OI HE2 your surname wouldn't by coincidence be Mirren?

First, he fails to point out that I couldn't possibly be taken for mid-fifties.

Then, he implies that I might be 61.

No amount of chocolate and baguettes is going to compensate for this. ;)

pduxon said:
Yes she did. Let's hope nature has been kind to her but I suspect she had a little help from pixel-smoothing video software, make-up and lighting techniques, at least.

Helenelizabeth2 said:
First, he fails to point out that I couldn't possibly be taken for mid-fifties.

Then, he implies that I might be 61.

No amount of chocolate and baguettes is going to compensate for this. ;)

THINKS

right steal nice drake Smew from Barnes tomorrow and release near HE2.....

Penny Clarke said:
Yeah, but women have the advantage after... a certain age, after we've gone through the whole George Clooney bit. Men, we just begin to disintegrate and get that glazed vacant expression. Lots of women (at least here) still seem pretty active later in life, poodling around shopping and going to bingo and on hols. (I think it's after they've collected the insurance on us men, and sold all our scopes on e-bay...)

Sancho said:
Yeah, but women have the advantage after... a certain age, after we've gone through the whole George Clooney bit. Men, we just begin to disintegrate and get that glazed vacant expression. Lots of women (at least here) still seem pretty active later in life, poodling around shopping and going to bingo and on hols. (I think it's after they've collected the insurance on us men, and sold all our scopes on e-bay...)
:clap: :clap: :-O :-O

Don't do bingo though. Men that get a 'glazed vacant expression' need a new bird ;) to lift their spirits!!!!! :bounce: :-O

Anyway, we really must get back on thread!!!!!

Nikon ED50 with 13-40 Zoom - :clap: :clap: :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back