• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which are your most common birds? (1 Viewer)

Really common birds

When I originally posted, I wasn't asking in terms of feeder birds or of birds in particular seasons. I really meant birds that you can virtually guaranteee seeing -- excluding at bird feeders -- in any season if you drive or walk for. say, 30 minutes anywhere from where you live.

Jeff

Really common birds

When I originally posted, I wasn't asking in terms of feeder birds or of birds in particular seasons. I really meant birds that you can virtually guaranteee seeing -- excluding at bird feeders -- in any season if you drive or walk for. say, 30 minutes anywhere from where you live.

Jeff

I guess some people are just glued to their feeders!
There are about 40 species I don't keep track of because they're "too common".
Black-headed & Common Gull; Carrion Crow; Wood Pigeon (certainly at the moment in flocks numbering 100s!); Great, Blue & Long-tailed Tit; Robin; Starling; Blackbird; Jackdaw; Magpie; Hedge Accentor (aka Dunnock); Chaffinch can be found anywhere.
In town: Collared Dove; House Sparrow
In woods (mostly coniferous here): Crested, Willow & Coal Tit; Great Spotted Woodpecker; Short-toed Tree-Creeper; Siskin
Rural areas: Tree Sparrow; Greenfinch; Buzzard; Kestrel
Water: Coot; Mallard; Moorhen; Grey Heron; Great Cormorant.
Most of these carry "Common" and "Eurasian" in their official names of course…

Differences

columbidae said:
In urban areas, northern mockingbirds, house sparrows, rock pigeons and European starlings are very common around parking lots. In yards you can almost always see American robins, Carolina wrens, and northern cardinals. In suburban areas and parks you will find those already mentioned, plus lots of Carolina chickadees, Canada geese, mourning doves, red-bellied and downy woodpeckers. In wintertime yellow-rumped warblers are everywhere in the parks, and white-throated sparrows can often be seen, and their song is everywhere.

We would normally have tons of Robins by now but I haven't yet seen a single one in our area this winter. I've only seen White-throated Sparrows once so far also. Of course, it's been 70-80 degrees F for weeks and so winter hasn't really arrived.

Canada Geese should be very common here, as should Mallards. However, I saw my first of both species here only a couple of weeks ago -- and I've been birding southeast Texas pretty constantly for three years!

Jeff

At my home near the South Jersey Shore, my daily feeder birds are dark-eyed juncos, tufted timice, black-capped chickadees, white-breasted nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, house finches and house sparrows, blue jays, cardinals, a song sparrow. Almost every day, although not necessarily all of them all day. Frequently see carolina wrens, red-bellied woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, white-throated sparrows, brown creepers, winter wrens (not at the feeder, under the shrubbery).

A Coopers hawk, always announced by the blue jays who go into alarm calls, drops by regularly, but has yet to take a bird while I was watching. Red-tailed hawks are also very common, especially from late fall through early spring.

In summer I see osprey overhead every day, great blue herons and egrets.

Laughing gulls are like starlings here. Also mallards and Canada geese.

Home Bird
www.homebirdnotes.com

Here on the fringe of Amsterdam, guaranteed every day birds include magpies, crows, jackdaws, grey herons, starlings, jays, great tits, blue tits, robins, wrens, blackbirds, dunnocks, song thrush, common buzzard, woodpigeon, collared dove, mallards, house sparrow, tree sparrow, coots, moorhen, herring gull, black-headed gull, common gull,

Not quite everyday but nearly are great spotted woodpecker, goldcrest, chaffinch, long tailed tits, redwing, pheasant, little gull, common tern, cormorant, great crested grebe

and I'm sure lots more but I'm still learning the local gulls, waterbirds - still haven't managed to see a warbler of any type and many others that the guidebooks describe as common.

JeffMoh said:
At Xmas three years ago, I spent a couple of half days birding near London and on the coast, and a few hours wandering around the Clissold Park area, plus several hours shopping in different areas of London. I saw 60+ species but not a single House Sparrow. Two summers ago, I spent several days in London, Lincoln and Carlisle and again didn't see a single House Sparrow. Did I read somewhere that their numbers have dropped alarmingly in the UK?

Jeff

Here in Amsterdam, house sparrows have become quite rare. You really have to know where a colony lives to see and hear any... Many people haven't seen a house sparrow for years!

Here the most popular birds are Collared Doves,Sparrows,Starlings and Blackbirds.Magpies are also in abundance.

At work (12 miles away),Pigeons,Pigeons and more Pigeons. :flyaway:

JeffMoh said:

Jeff

If I walk for 30 minutes in the city park in the east side of Amsterdam, I'm almost sure to see on a daily basis :
- Blackbird
- Woodpigeon
- Coot
- Carrion Crow
- Mallard
- feral pigeon
- Great Tit
- Blue Tit
- Magpie
- Jackdaw
- Grey Heron
- Black-headed Gull
- Common Moorhen

But you'd get a different list for another park only 600 meters further.

Hi to everyone at BirdForum,this looks to be a friendly and informative sight. I see most birds for this area from my window or when I'm in the garden.Most of them are usual but very welcome all the same. During the last month a male great spotted woodpecker has been snacking from the peanut feeder.

Here in Missouri I have listed some of the birds you are most likely to see almost any day of the year, if you just get out a little bit and observe what birds are around.

Most Common Birds (Missouri, USA)

European Starling
House Sparrow
American Robin
Blue Jay
Northern Cardinal
Rock Pigeon (aka. Feral Pigeon)
Red-winged Blackbird
Mourning Dove
American Crow
American Goldfinch
Horned Lark
Canada Goose
Black-capped Chickadee
Carolina Wren

On a day just watching from my houses windows when I pass them can practically guarantee the following

Starling, Collared Dove, Jackdaw, Rook, Wood Pigeon, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Robin

If I was to go for an hour walk from my house I could add to that list:
Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Green Finch, Dunnock, Carrion Crow, Red Kite, Buzzard, Magpie, Long Tailed Tit, Black Headed Gull
In the summer add to that swallow, swift and house martin

Depending on which specific direction I went on said walk, I could also add:
Treecreeper, Pheasant and Yellowhammer,and usually Nuthatch, Red Legged Partridge, Coal Tit and Goldcrest. A decent chance of marsh/willow tits too (if I went towards the woods)
Green Woodpecker, feral pigeon, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Mallard, Moorhen if I went towards the park and river.

Last edited:
Commonest here I can think of:
Spotless Starling, House Sparrow, Black Redstart, Corn Bunting, Crested Lark, Linnet, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Stonechat, Common Buzzard, Black Kite, Booted Eagle, Griffon Vulture, White Stork, Magpie, Carrion Crow.

Here in Costa Rica, it kind of depends on the elevation but species that are hard to miss in the central valley are:

Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Red-billed Pigeon
White-winged Dove
Crimson-fronted Parakeet
Rufous-tailed Hummingbird
Tropical Kingbird
Great Kiskadee
Blue-gray Tanager
Rufous-collared Sparrow
Great-tailed Grackle

Here in Tokyo its Rock Pigeon, Large-billed Crow, and Eurasian Tree Sparrow.

Back in Laramie it varies by season. Generally House Sparrow, American Robin, Rock Pigeon, Eurasian Collared Dove, American Crow, and Mountain Chickadee.

I can usually guarantee seeing Collared Dove, Woodpigeon, Starling, Moorhen, Mallard, Carrion Crow and Magpie here, the Carrion Crows and Woodpigeons especially so when I walk on my local patch. Depending on the season I would usually find Robins, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Greenfinches, Wrens, Blackbirds, Green Woodpeckers, Lesser black-back gull, black-headed gull or herring gull here but none of those are guaranteed sightings and can be very localised. In my garden I'd see House Sparrows every day but walking around my local area I've just realised that I don't actually see them 'that' much elsewhere.

It's a difficult time of year to answer that question really as I've just been through the August silence, when there are very few birds showing themselves and that colours somewhat my response - much depends on the season as in the summer I might be pretty sure of seeing Whitethroat or Blackcap, in the winter Redwing or Fieldfare. For a period of the winter I might be almost guaranteed to see Goosander or Tufted Duck if I go to specific places here but that doesn't mean they're common (far from it!). Probably reading too much into the question really though!

Great thread idea. I'm on the outskirts of Brisbane and heading out the door I can be sure that I'll see rainbow lorikeets, sulphur-crested cockatoos, kookaburras, currawongs, magpies, noisy miners, butcherbirds and masked lapwings to name a few. I've seen pelicans near the reservoir up the road, even though we're miles from the coast.

Ben

NW Crow, House Sparrow, Rock Pigeon, Glaucous-winged Gull, House Finch, Great Blue Heron, Mallards, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Bewick's Wren, and Bushtit.

When I'm out walking, grey fantail, striated pardalote, rainbow and musk lorikeet, galah, magpie, new holland honeyeater, crescent honeyeater, white-plumed honeyeater, at least one of the tree creepers (often brown), crimson rosella, superb fairy-wren often see scarlet robin, raven, grey currawong, white-winged chough, red-rumped parrot, nankeen kestrel and then several of the thornbill species yellow-rumped, striated or buff-rumped thornbills being the most common. I love my 'common' birds, it's good to get to know them :)

Here in NW Arkansas, I think Northern Cardinal usually tops the CBC lists. Some other of the commonest species:

House Sparrow
Mourning Dove
European Starling
Northern Mockingbird
American Robin
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Common Grackle
White-throated Sparrow (Oct-May)
Dark-eyed Junco (~Nov-Mar)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back