Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

No more whinging about catches in the trap.

Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 13:56   #1
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

No more whinging about catches in the trap.

Earlier this year I was bemoaning the lack of numbers of moths in my MV moth trap. After last nights catch I won't be moaning again. It took me the best part of 4 hours to sort the catch out. There wasn't anything unusual about the species, all were known from previous nights or years. What was astounding was the sheer numbers.

Large Yellow underwing 236
Lesser Broad Bordered Y/U 93
Dark Arches 167
Bird Cherry Ermine (I gave up at 700)
Numerous Plusias, Wainscots, Carpets, Brocades, Arches, Waves, Crambids, Tortices, etc.

In all well over 3000, moths, 20 Lacewings (all C.carnea agg.) 6 Beetles, 100+Caddis.

The most amazing thing was, I only ran the trap from 9.30pm until midnight. I dread to think how many would have been in it had I left it out all night. Strangely, there were hardly any Diptera, I usually get a few hundred Midges.

My garden* is 125' x 25' and there is a main road at the bottom of it, the hedges on either side are some 6' high so the light is fairly contained. I'm not considering putting it out tonight, I need an early night.

* The garden is perhaps better described as a wasteland full of weeds. lol.

Harry.
Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 14:03   #2
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry eales
* The garden is perhaps better described as a wasteland full of weeds. lol.

Harry.
Sounds an ideal garden for wildlife - don't let those makeover folk get anywhere near!!!!
Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 14:12   #3
Angus T

I given up using the MV at moment because I wsa getting too many Large Yellow Blunderwings, and they were wearing everything out. I'm just putting the actinic on for the past week or so.
It great to hear that your're getting numbers again.
Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 14:29   #4
Michael Frankis
conehead

Hi Harry,

How common is Ourapteryx sambucaria up here? - had one (or something that looked just like the pic of it in Chinery! ) came in the house couple of nights ago

Michael
Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 18:17   #5
Jasonbirder
Jason-occasional-twitcher

Not run my trap for a fortnite - because of Birding getting in the way it`ll be out tonight - i`d love a bumper catch and i`ve not even had a Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing in my trap yet
Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 21:35   #6
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Frankis
Hi Harry,

How common is Ourapteryx sambucaria up here? - had one (or something that looked just like the pic of it in Chinery! ) came in the house couple of nights ago Michael
Hi Michael,
The Swallow-tailed moth is a very common in the North east, which can often be seen at dusk if your walking around the streets of Jesmond or in Jesmond Dene. They also come to light in numbers, I had over a dozen one night last week alone. They look their best when freshly emerged, they do tend to wear quickly on the wing.

Harry
Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 21:41   #7
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Bigg
Sounds an ideal garden for wildlife - don't let those makeover folk get anywhere near!!!!
Hi Elizabeth,
Thanks for the PM. I don't think any of the groundforce teams would even consider trying to 'do up' my garden. They would take one look and run for the hills. lol.

I used to enjoy gardening but had to give it up due to a crushed vertebrate in the lower spine. In the last 6 - 7 years it has got wilder and wilder. I need a machette just to clear the way to my moth trap location. I would need a tractor and a plough to sort it out now. Fortunately I have understanding neighbours. I hasten to add, I do not enter the village garden of the year competition

Harry.
Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 21:47   #8
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus T
I given up using the MV at moment because I wsa getting too many Large Yellow Blunderwings, and they were wearing everything out. I'm just putting the actinic on for the past week or so.
It great to hear that your're getting numbers again.
Hi angus,
I know what you mean by Blunderwings, they never settle at all in the trap and they do damage a lot of other specimens. The Cherry Ermines come out at the same time. They outnumber the LYU's about 6:1 locally. The Bird Cherry trees that line the riverbank some 100 yards from my house get totally defoliated every year by the larva. A beautiful moth, but a menace in the trap.

Harry
Old Saturday 31st July 2004, 21:49   #9
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbirder
Not run my trap for a fortnite - because of Birding getting in the way it`ll be out tonight - i`d love a bumper catch and i`ve not even had a Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing in my trap yet
Hi Jason,
You should get Lesser BBYU's if you trap tonight, they have been out for a couple of weeks in the North-east so they should have been out even longer with you in the Midlands.

Harry
Old Sunday 1st August 2004, 15:06   #10
scampo
Steve Campsall

[quote=harry eales]Earlier this year I was bemoaning the lack of numbers of moths in my MV moth trap. After last night's catch I won't be moaning again. It took me the best part of 4 hours to sort the catch out. There wasn't anything unusual about the species, all were known from previous nights or years. What was astounding was the sheer numbers... [quote]

Nick put his trap out in the week, Harry. We had about 80 yellow underwings and not much more, except a nice swallowtail.

By the way, on our holiday in Alnham, we met a ranger for the Ingram Valley nature reserve who knew of you - his name was Shaun. He was seriously into mothing and held you in high regard - said you were quite a character!

He kindly led us to a super sleepy adder on the reserve campsite and after an hour's further looking we found four more and a couple of slow worms.

Hope you're well.
Old Sunday 1st August 2004, 19:59   #11
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

[quote=scampo][quote=harry eales]Earlier this year I was bemoaning the lack of numbers of moths in my MV moth trap. After last night's catch I won't be moaning again. It took me the best part of 4 hours to sort the catch out. There wasn't anything unusual about the species, all were known from previous nights or years. What was astounding was the sheer numbers...
Quote:

Nick put his trap out in the week, Harry. We had about 80 yellow underwings and not much more, except a nice swallowtail.

By the way, on our holiday in Alnham, we met a ranger for the Ingram Valley nature reserve who knew of you - his name was Shaun. He was seriously into mothing and held you in high regard - said you were quite a character!

He kindly led us to a super sleepy adder on the reserve campsite and after an hour's further looking we found four more and a couple of slow worms.

Hope you're well.
Hi Scampo,
Yes, I know Shaun well, and yes, he is a keen moth enthusiast. As National Park Wardens go, he is amongst the best that I know. I envy him though, he seems to be able to leap up the local mountains like a Kangaroo, whilst I puff and pant a long way behind him. My only excuse is I'm nearly 40 years older than him. lol. I hope you enjoyed our wonderful Northumberland countryside.
Harry.
Old Sunday 1st August 2004, 21:44   #12
scampo
Steve Campsall

Enjoyed it? You can say that again. We had two weeks of glorious weather, with rain only during the night except on two mornings. It was warm throughout and we had an absolutely first-class cottage on a farm. Even the drive up was easy and quick. In fact it was probably the best holiday we've ever had in the UK; we've already booked for next year. What a glorious county you have - few tourists, very friendly locals, few cars, empty roads and lots of space. We thought we'd found heaven in Wales, but now we know there's somewhere better!

There were two wardens at Ingram nature reserve, by the way, but I forget the name of the other one. He was tall, and in his late fifties. You maybe know him. He was exceptionally helpful, even phoning Shaun to tell him about our interest in moths. In fact I had forgotten, it was he who showed us where the adders were.
Old Sunday 1st August 2004, 22:05   #13
harry eales
Ancient Entomologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo
Enjoyed it? You can say that again. We had two weeks of glorious weather, with rain only during the night except on two mornings. It was warm throughout and we had an absolutely first-class cottage on a farm. Even the drive up was easy and quick. In fact it was probably the best holiday we've ever had in the UK; we've already booked for next year. What a glorious county you have - few tourists, very friendly locals, few cars, empty roads and lots of space. We thought we'd found heaven in Wales, but now we know there's somewhere better!

There were two wardens at Ingram nature reserve, by the way, but I forget the name of the other one. He was tall, and in his late fifties. You maybe know him. He was exceptionally helpful, even phoning Shaun to tell him about our interest in moths. In fact I had forgotten, it was he who showed us where the adders were.
EEEK, Scampo,
I shouldn't have asked, now everyone will want to come. Perhaps you can now understand why I love Northumberland so much. Next time your coming up this way let me know by PM and I will give you a list of places to go and what insects you should find there.

The NNP wardens tend to get swapped around every so often to cover different areas of the Park, it's quite possible I may know him, but quite a lot fit your rather brief description. Each warden seems to have a different natural history interest, although not many are as keen on butterflies and moths as Shaun is. No one needs a foreign holiday when they haven't been to Northumberland.

Harry
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: