Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sydney 2014 September Possibly.

Old Tuesday 10th September 2013, 21:34   #1
simondix

Sydney 2014 September Possibly.

I am hoping to go to Australia for a month next year in September. I will be basing myself in the Sydney area. I am interested in all wildlife and would like to do a few trips, Ayers Rock etc. However my wife is wheelchair bound and am therefore careful as to where and what we can do. I have noticed Whale watching trips and would like to know if anybody has been in the same situation and what they managed to do.
Old Thursday 12th September 2013, 14:39   #2
Joshua-B
Forum Member

I would not recommend the birding pelagics for anyone in a wheelchair at all (ie: Sydney Halicat or Wollongong SandraK). Possibly one of the more commercial ones will have wheelchair facilities?
Old Thursday 12th September 2013, 19:38   #3
simondix

Thanks for the info. She can sit in a chair, bench and walk a short distances it is the access on and off the boat that is the worry. I will have a look around. Thanks again.
Old Friday 13th September 2013, 01:01   #4
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondix View Post
I am hoping to go to Australia for a month next year in September. I will be basing myself in the Sydney area. I am interested in all wildlife and would like to do a few trips, Ayers Rock etc. However my wife is wheelchair bound and am therefore careful as to where and what we can do. I have noticed Whale watching trips and would like to know if anybody has been in the same situation and what they managed to do.
Simon,
You can watch whales from the cliffs along the Northern Beaches of Sydney ( eg Whale Beach), even from the car in some places. Not up close of course.
The Royal National Park in the south of the City is "wheelchair friendly"as is Centennial Park in the City.
Worth visiting Capertee Valley in September. They have some nice little B and Bs there
http://www.bmbirding.com.au/valley.html
The boardwalks around the Warriewood Wetlands (Northern Beaches) are easy to get around in a wheel chair.
You should have a good time.
Neil.
Old Friday 13th September 2013, 08:18   #5
Si Clayton

This outfit has wheelchair access mentioned, scroll down http://www.ozwhalewatching.com.au/faq

Habitat: Eucalypt/Subtropical Rainforest, Migrant from U.K.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: