Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Raptor killings increase

Old Friday 15th May 2020, 05:37   #1
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Raptor killings increase

As many predicted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52667502

Last edited by Mono : Friday 15th May 2020 at 09:07. Reason: Removed the last sentence as just trolling
Old Friday 15th May 2020, 05:57   #2
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Disgusting.

Interestingly enough, it’s not a problem we have much in the US where “hunting estates” are few and far between and where individual hunters (to their credit) tend to leave birds of prey alone.

Last edited by fugl : Friday 15th May 2020 at 06:00.
Old Friday 15th May 2020, 08:41   #3
Ted Nashe
On a wing and a prayer

Lockdown Raptor Shootings.

Not the nicest of stories:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...y-being-killed
Old Friday 15th May 2020, 08:52   #4
G6 UXU
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Many thanks for the link Ted, terrible news and should not be happening.

Latest lifer Bean Goose 15/01/2020

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th May 2020, 10:44   #5
PYRTLE

Inevitable I'm afraid as soon as lockdown was considered. Some elements of the human race are despicable.
Old Friday 15th May 2020, 10:55   #6
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Saw this on Twitter can't believe people are doing this.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th May 2020, 11:15   #7
Paul Longland

Another side effect of Covid 19

Saw this today
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52667502

and her is me thinking that the lockdown would help breeding birds due to there being less people about to disturb them. I suspect that were it "in season" grouse shooting would be one of the "sports" that would be allowed with social distancing.
It just goes to prove that despite all the education and pressure, the shooting lobby have no morals whatsoever and return to type as soon as they think they can get away with it.
Old Friday 15th May 2020, 11:31   #8
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan Buchan View Post
Saw this on Twitter can't believe people are doing this.
It was entirely inevitable, as soon as lockdown drastically reduced the number of potential witnesses at large, that the hunting fraternity would indulge in a massacre of raptors. Disbelief should be reserved for the day they no longer behave in this manner.
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
Old Friday 15th May 2020, 12:26   #9
temmie

Could it be that the number of reports increased because of the lockdown (more people aware of their surroundings and more eyes around because people aren't working / travelling)?

I mean: could this be an observer effect? (I hope so)

BF Supporter 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th May 2020, 12:32   #10
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmie View Post
Could it be that the number of reports increased because of the lockdown (more people aware of their surroundings and more eyes around because people aren't working / travelling)?

I mean: could this be an observer effect? (I hope so)
No. Because of lockdown there are many fewer eyes around and the gamekeepers clearly came out of the starting blocks at the speed of light. A pox on all of them!

John
Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 14:17   #11
dandsblair
David and Sarah

I feared this would happen

I feared this would happen but went we went walking from Dunsop Bridge on Friday I saw one Hen Harrier (ring-tail) not yet nesting I think but more positively was told by a volunteer I bumped into that there are seven active nests in the area a recent record. He expressed worries that as June/July comes and grouse season approaches that that will be the real test.
We also saw evidence that a least one nest area was being watched by the RSPB so hopefully Forest/trough of Bowland might buck this worrying trend and see Hen Harriers produce record number of chicks this year.
Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 14:21   #12
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsblair View Post
I feared this would happen but went we went walking from Dunsop Bridge on Friday I saw one Hen Harrier (ring-tail) not yet nesting I think but more positively was told by a volunteer I bumped into that there are seven active nests in the area a recent record. He expressed worries that as June/July comes and grouse season approaches that that will be the real test.
We also saw evidence that a least one nest area was being watched by the RSPB so hopefully Forest/trough of Bowland might buck this worrying trend and see Hen Harriers produce record number of chicks this year.
I hope your correct in regards to breeding success - a negative thought is that volunteers ( in what capacity I wonder ) are glibly broadcasting the fact.....you never know who the recipient might be, sadly egg thieves etc. There is educating and encouraging the general public but sadly an old phrase, "Loose talk costs lives." It is a war against reckless shooting estates and some individuals. Pleased you managed to see a ring tail.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Sunday 17th May 2020 at 14:24.
Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 14:36   #13
dantheman
Bah humbug

It does look like if there was a concerted effort by gamekeepers/shooting estates to do the dirty deed whilst under apparent cover of coronavirus it may have spectacularly failed and brought the issue out into the open?

Obviously there are enough eyes out there to have noticed the perceived increase in raptor persecution.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: