• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thought this was interesting? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Caught this in a shutter-burst this am. Interesting that an essentially all dark bird should at a given angle show white reflection on the almost flat under-wing surfaces and tail, and not even a glint off the barrelled body.
Presume there must be a ''physics/material'' answer to this?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2230539.jpeg     A white-winged Swifty..jpeg
    P2230539.jpeg A white-winged Swifty..jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 159
Can’t help with the scientific reason but bright sunlight on the darker plumaged birds makes the wings ‘shine‘ to our eyes, I have a few silver-winged Ravens here!

Can’t help with the scientific reason but bright sunlight on the darker plumaged birds makes the wings ‘shine‘ to our eyes, I have a few silver-winged Ravens here!

Yes dark clouds and corvids often have a silver lining...and yet the “barrelled body” doesn’t appear to reflect any glare. :eek!: :t:

Yes dark clouds and corvids often have a silver lining...and yet the “barrelled body” doesn’t appear to reflect any glare. :eek!: :t:

I think that's what John was alluding to, the body is a mass whereas the wing feathers are err, light as a feather (no blood, organs etc) and at times transparent at times reflective:t:

I think that's what John was alluding to, the body is a mass whereas the wing feathers are err, light as a feather (no blood, organs etc) and at times transparent at times reflective:t:

Body feathering is a lot less structured as well. Much of it is quite loose and multi-directional fibres reflecting light in multiple directions and for that matter allowing some to pass through and be lost in inner layers.

Flight feathers are highly organised rows of barbs zipped together forming a surface that is effectively designed to reflect in only a few particular directions if hit by light at a particular angle. When that angle applies a lot of light is reflected in a fairly focused manner.

John

Yes thanks all, a very odd looking Swift, it’s the white forked tail with the black centre spine that looks to my eye at least quite unusual.

Cheers

Yes thanks all, a very odd looking Swift, it’s the white forked tail with the black centre spine that looks to my eye at least quite unusual.

Cheers

Well not an ‘odd looking Swift’ as such, but an odd looking photo of a Swift - ;) in addition to what others have said about the natural phenomena of light on black plumage, I think a certain amount of overexposure when taking a shot (ie where light strongly hits one surface more than the rest of the frame) can also burn out subtle colour and detail so can produce odd artefacts in a photo.

It is interesting (and a cautionary tale for ID purposes!)

Cheers

But it isn't that monochrome effect all the time though Ken, just certain angles and light reflection as Deb and others have explained. I would hazard a guess that other frames in your "burst" show a bird that has dark wings and tail concolorous with the body. It is a snapshot and we know how just one image can deceive, play tricks or even suggest it is something else.

Last edited:
Remiss of me, I failed to state the obvious...ie it’s the image and NOT the Swift that’s odd looking!
I was looking at it from an “impressionistic” point of view, whilst also considering the science (dynamics of light and mass) producing such an image.

Cheers

Remiss of me, I failed to state the obvious...ie it’s the image and NOT the Swift that’s odd looking!
I was looking at it from an “impressionistic” point of view, whilst also considering the science (dynamics of light and mass) producing such an image.

Cheers

Na. I understood what you meant. I agree it's interesting as an illusion. I also like John's summing up of the physics behind the snapshot. I never forget that photography essentially means 'writing with light' and how the camera was a doorway for me to become interested in the phenomenon of light in and of itself.

In addition to what others have said, the underside of the flight feathers is remarkably glossy on Common Swift (with an almost waxy feel to the feathers), while its body feathers are more matte (hence the strong contrast on your pic: part of the plumage reflects light, while other part absorbs light). See here for example: http://blascozumeta.com/wp-content/uploads/aves-aragon/no-passeriformes/277.apusapus.pdf

Thanks Rafael....if only I could read Spanish. :t: :-C

Moisturise daily ;)

John

Am currently doing just that John! due to the “soddingly high” pollen count!

He does, with 60% proof, but that’s internally ( and purely for medicinal purposes of course) ;)

Twice a week only Richard and at just 11% alcohol!....anything stronger could impede my performance “out doors”. ;)

Thanks Rafael....if only I could read Spanish. :t: :-C

Am currently doing just that John! due to the “soddingly high” pollen count!

Twice a week only Richard and at just 11% alcohol!....anything stronger could impede my performance “out doors”. ;)

Are these the days (daze) when we get the 'odd' birds by any chance? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back