• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

Turning on the light certainly helps but it wasn't a spectacular night last night for numbers (in fact so slow I gave up at 12:45). However, it did produce some mothing gold for me in the form of an Oak Eggar that arrived around 5 minutes after I started. What a moth! Like a Jumbo jet had arrived and very beautiful. 2 other garden ticks - Cream Wave and Beautiful Golden Y. 2 Brown-tails, 1 Elephant HM and 2 Swallow-tails. Chrysoteuchia culmella the big one at 12 and 7 Common Footman.

Any ideas on this one please?

Possibly a male Heart & Club, Agrotis clavis. A bit difficult to be certain as it's blurred from the moth's vibration (the other option would be a Turnip, Agrotis segetum).

Last edited:
I'm not as active as most on this forum but I've found a couple of nice moths in daylight during the last couple of days. If my ID of Dasycera oliviella is correct (I'm waiting to hear back from my country recorder), it will be a new one for me and quite possibly for South-East Surrey.

Post Script - CR confirms ID and says it's only the second modern Surrey record. The larva feeds on rotting oak (and a few other trees). I wonder whether having a log-pile in our garden, which we've had for several years, attracted it?

Attachments

• Dasycera oliviella ex IMG_2330.JPG
    Dasycera oliviella ex IMG_2330.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 41
  • swallowtail moth ex IMG_2257 (800).JPG
    swallowtail moth ex IMG_2257 (800).JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'm not as active as most on this forum but I've found a couple of nice moths in daylight during the last couple of days. If my ID of Dasycera oliviella is correct (I'm waiting to hear back from my country recorder), it will be a new one for me and quite possibly for South-East Surrey.

Post Script - CR confirms ID and says it's only the second modern Surrey record. The larva feeds on rotting oak (and a few other trees). I wonder whether having a log-pile in our garden, which we've had for several years, attracted it?

Very nice, I rarely look at Micros twice unless they look like this!

Possibly a male Heart & Club, Agrotis clavis. A bit difficult to be certain as it's blurred from the moth's vibration (the other option would be a Turnip, Agrotis segetum).

Martin

I went Heart and Club on the other thread but I'm confusing myself on Heart and Club/Turnip currently. The five attached I identified as Heart and Club with the same five in the same order head on in the next post. Am I getting all of these right?

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Heart and Club AA 003.JPG
    Heart and Club AA 003.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Heart and Club AB 002.JPG
    Heart and Club AB 002.JPG
    655.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Heart and Club AC 003.JPG
    Heart and Club AC 003.JPG
    565.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Heart and Club AD 002.JPG
    Heart and Club AD 002.JPG
    522.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Heart and Club AE 002.JPG
    Heart and Club AE 002.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 11
Same moths head on.

Attachments

• Heart and Club AA 001.JPG
    Heart and Club AA 001.JPG
    459 KB · Views: 12
  • Heart and Club AB 001.JPG
    Heart and Club AB 001.JPG
    451.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Heart and Club AC 001.JPG
    Heart and Club AC 001.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Heart and Club AD 001.JPG
    Heart and Club AD 001.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Heart and Club AE 001.JPG
    Heart and Club AE 001.JPG
    416.6 KB · Views: 11
I have only trapped twice this week as the other nights did not look promising.

The first I have covered already, and the other was last night: a Clepsis consimilana (my English-name-only friend tells me it is a Privet Tortrix) was NFY otherwise a rather uninspiring 50 moths of 15 species.

Steve

Cloudy, warm but rather ruined by being very windy.
I did find a Phoenix on the wall behind my magic flower pot, which was new for the garden. Rather pleased with that one.
53 moths of 16 species identified.
First Mother of Pearl this year too. 3 Elephants and 1 Small Elephant Hawks. 1 Spectacle, 3 Flame, 1 Light Emerald, 2 Swallow-tails. 28 Garden Grass-veneer. Paraswammerdamia nebulella an attractive little micro. Plus a few LBJs etc.

I live on a hill, looking down on to a valley, it's very exposed and the wind last night meant that mothing would have been pointless.

Last edited:
Windy here, too. I did get a few moths - all NFY: dark arches; buff ermine; smoky wainscot; green pug; flame; heart and dart. A few micros still to ID.

Attachments

• green pug ex IMG_2379.JPG
    green pug ex IMG_2379.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 15
  • smoky wainscot ex IMG_2354.JPG
    smoky wainscot ex IMG_2354.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 14
Breezy with added drizzle up here, but in spite of unspectacular numbers (27 of 14 species), some treats were contained therein in the form of three new garden moths; Grey Arches, Dun-bar, and a cracking female Ghost Moth. There are a couple of likely looking meadows nearby that I shall have to check out for leks at some point.

Grey Arches
Dun-bar
Ghost Moth x2

Attachments

• IMG_9064.JPG
    IMG_9064.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9111.JPG
    IMG_9111.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9149.JPG
    IMG_9149.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9147.JPG
    IMG_9147.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 24
Nice pics. A quiet start to July for me with:-
1st July - 92 moths 27 species - Engrailed, Tawny-barred Angle & Bryotropha terrella new for the year
2nd July - 66 moths 21 species - Shark new for year
3rd July - I did not run
4th July - 79 moths 25 species - July Highflyer, Peach Blossom & Swallow-tailed Moth (in addition Leopard & Herald having good years)

Elsewhere on patch, a friend had our third patch Crescent Dart.

Pics - Crescent Dart, Shark, Scalloped Oak, Peach Blossom & Buff Arches.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 01 Crescent Dart.JPG
    01 Crescent Dart.JPG
    529.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 02 Shark.JPG
    02 Shark.JPG
    519.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 03 Scalloped Oak.JPG
    03 Scalloped Oak.JPG
    625.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 04 Peach Blossom.JPG
    04 Peach Blossom.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 12
  • 05 Buff Arches.jpg
    05 Buff Arches.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 11
A few more pics - Leopard, Herald, July Highflyer, Engrailed & Bryotropha terrella

Attachments

• 06 Leopard Moth.JPG
    06 Leopard Moth.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 07 Herald.JPG
    07 Herald.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 10
  • 08 July Highflyer.JPG
    08 July Highflyer.JPG
    815.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 09 Engrailed.JPG
    09 Engrailed.JPG
    872 KB · Views: 18
  • 10 Bryotropha terrella.JPG
    10 Bryotropha terrella.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 13
You seem to have a never ending variety there Paul, and it is nice to see all the pics. As a newbie to all this it is excellent encouragement, there seems to be so much out there.

Managed to add a couple more to the overnight tally, with both Short-cloaked and Beautiful Golden Y coming to light during the course of the day.

Attachments

• IMG_9175.JPG
    IMG_9175.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 26
Finally some success with numbers having upgraded my 15W to 2 x 30W Acinitic bulbs. 5 Buff Ermine, 6 Common Footman, 2 Scalloped Oak and singles of Elephant Hawkmoth, Clouded Border, H & D, Willow Beauty and a couple of yet to be identified 'waves'.

At last a decent catch for me to look through.

Finally some success with numbers having upgraded my 15W to 2 x 30W Acinitic bulbs. 5 Buff Ermine, 6 Common Footman, 2 Scalloped Oak and singles of Elephant Hawkmoth, Clouded Border, H & D, Willow Beauty and a couple of yet to be identified 'waves'.

At last a decent catch for me to look through.

I think you mean 'actinic' Allen.

Glad your numbers are up, wish mine were.

I'm thinking of experimenting with light source, I may even try sugaring the big Maple, outside, I've got a recipe from an old mate, just don't like wasting the beer!

My most productive session to date last night, 72 individuals of 38 species, with new ones still coming, three Yellow Shells, Coronet (a green one), Common Rustic agg, Common Wainscot and a darling little True Lover's Knot moving the list along. Other goodies included Peach Blossom, V-Pug, a couple of Dingy Shears, four Dark and one Grey Arches, Elephant Hawk, and at one point last night three Plain Golden Ys on the wall of the house, wings all aquiver. Weather looks pants the next few days, but that little lot will tide me over very nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_9340.JPG
    IMG_9340.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9402.JPG
    IMG_9402.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9219.JPG
    IMG_9219.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9392.JPG
    IMG_9392.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9251.JPG
    IMG_9251.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 17
Quiet night last night for me despite promising conditions, probably because I only found out I hadn't put the covers on the trap as I was heading for bed at 0030! Better late than never....

The meagre catch (17 individuals of 9 species, one as yet unidentified) included an Elephant Hawk, 7 Heart and Darts (whoopee....) and a Buff Ermine. The baffling one will most likely be in the ID sub-forum later.

Heavy rain forecast so no trapping tonight. End of the week into next week looks more interesting though.

John

Trap back out last night but only 27 moths of 10 species - nothing exciting apart from 3 Elephants (always nice.)
Seven Heart and Darts continued their domination of the numbers game, two Dark Arches and a Common Footman best of the rest.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back