Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden/Yard List 2020

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 4th August 2020, 06:09   #876
RyanI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
Wow, any shearwater species would be ‘great’ for the rest of us Ryan, good stuff.
Just wondered, does your attention ever wander to actual gardening?
Apart from trimming the hedge (can’t have it blocking my seawatching!) and grass not really no, I use the sandy soil as an excuse for my inability in the gardening front ;-)

DDL Groupie - Curlew Night Heron
http://patchworkchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Thursday 6th August 2020, 09:19   #877
KenM

Certainly one I was hoping for Reed Warbler, on a very grey and drizzly morning no.84.

PS Interestingly this immature bird hung around for an hour plus (feeding in the Sallow) enabling me to get some images (I've lightened them as it was so grey and dismal this am), I probably average about one every two years, but they are generally gone within moments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2280698.jpeg   Reed 2..jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	733861  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2280695.jpeg   Reed 1.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	733862  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2280708.jpeg    Reed 4..jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	733863  Click image for larger version

Name:	P2280712.jpeg   Reed 5..jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	733864  

Last edited by KenM : Thursday 6th August 2020 at 15:46. Reason: Added images
Old Friday 7th August 2020, 19:40   #878
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Nice.
I was happy enough with 3 Willow Warblers this am.
Old Sunday 9th August 2020, 18:18   #879
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

This year was the first in our four years here that I failed to see/hear this species which nevertheless bred successfully between us and the village. Thankfully it's commoner in autumn with dates in previous years of 4,8 and 14 August, so a nice adult male this evening was welcome but not unexpected!

82 Common Redstart

Hopefully the other glaring miss so far - Tree Pipit, that also breeds within 1km, won't be long in appearing
Old Sunday 9th August 2020, 21:30   #880
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Had The Stock Dove back in the garden today and at the feeders there were lots of Blue, Great & Coal Tits a few Starlings, Jackdaws & Magpie.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th August 2020, 18:21   #881
KenM

Better late than never! (4days) imm.Common Whitethroat this am. no.85.
Old Sunday 16th August 2020, 19:09   #882
KenM

Certainly less than annual and on a totally unprecedented date, albeit breeding might be a possibility perhaps c5 miles away in suitable habitat. Prior to this total surprise, a fairly quiet grey day ensued with heavy rain at times, being pleasantly punctuated by a fourth day appearance of a particularly sandy backed Reed Warbler early am (several images taken of the same bird over the last four days), then a single taking no prisoners South Easterly bound Swift became a fillip for the day, followed by nowt till 7.05pm when a hunting Hobby broke the skyline, perhaps twenty seconds later a....Southbound flight “jerking” Woodcock appeared no.86.
Old Monday 17th August 2020, 11:52   #883
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

August 17th.

First addition for ages..............

74. Green Sandpiper - called nicely twice as it went over on a very murky morning

#97 on my garden life-list.

Steve
Old Tuesday 18th August 2020, 18:33   #884
RyanI

The first half of August has been pretty busy with wader passage and a few decent seawatches. Added to that one of the many Pied Flycatchers on the patch ventured into the garden briefly. Hopefully this is the sign of a good autumn...

160 Pied Flycatcher
161 Curlew Sandpiper
162 Ruff
163 Sooty Shearwater

DDL Groupie - Curlew Night Heron
http://patchworkchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/
Old Thursday 20th August 2020, 12:55   #885
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

An August regular this morning:

83 Pied Flycatcher
Old Thursday 20th August 2020, 15:01   #886
KenM

Quote:
An August regular this morning:

83 Pied Flycatcher
Still wishing and hoping.
Old Friday 21st August 2020, 07:34   #887
Euan Buchan
BF Supporter 2020

Had a juvenile Goldfinch at one of my feeders yesterday. Also yesterday I had Great Spotted Woodpecker, Starling & Robin.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 21st August 2020, 11:26   #888
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Still wishing and hoping.
Had just finished some judicial trimming to the garden hedges, when my wife called me up to the crows nest for tea. Arriving at my “perch” noted yet another “Goldfinch” alighting atop the tallest Ash tree at garden end when for some inexplicable reason I raised my bins, must have been divine intervention by the great Bird Gods!, as the “Goldfinch” morphed into a superb Male Pied Flycatcher before flying off East over the house as I grabbed my camera...too late! no.87.
Old Friday 21st August 2020, 12:27   #889
Euan Buchan
BF Supporter 2020

Can add Goldfinch & Greenfinch to the list there has been lots at the feeder today.

Old Sunday 23rd August 2020, 16:29   #890
KenM

Things certainly starting to move at this end with a putative Hippo. seen at the end of neighbour’s garden last night at 7pm, (in view for perhaps a long second) tea coloured uppers and cream yellow unders, a total flesh coloured bill, bland faced with no hint of super or eye-stripe!!
This morning started with 3 Willow Warblers, a second Common Whitethroat and my second Pied Flycatcher of the Autumn! Certainly looking promising for this last August week...fingers x’d.
Old Sunday 23rd August 2020, 17:53   #891
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Things certainly starting to move at this end with a putative Hippo. seen at the end of neighbour’s garden last night at 7pm, (in view for perhaps a long second) tea coloured uppers and cream yellow unders, a total flesh coloured bill, bland faced with no hint of super or eye-stripe!!
This morning started with 3 Willow Warblers, a second Common Whitethroat and my second Pied Flycatcher of the Autumn! Certainly looking promising for this last August week...fingers x’d.
I’ve heard of people seeing (pink) elephants on a Saturday night Ken, but - hippos?
Anyway, like all of us I imagine, I also have high hopes for the next few weeks, I’ve let the raspberry patch grow for the Grasshopper Warblers and planted a couple of posts for Whinchats (well a man can dream n’est-ce pas?).
No additions again today but the sky went dark for a moment when an adult Lammergeier glided directly over the house at only about 20m up, this was a few minutes after a Honey Buzzard and then a Golden Eagle also wandered overhead so can’t complain
Old Sunday 23rd August 2020, 18:25   #892
KenM

You’re reaching dizzy heights with the Bops Richard! Thankfully I can claim one of those, however what miffs, is (as this early am) when a “stream” of warblers and tits all fly through the garden at a dizzying speed and you’re lucky to ID 50% of them knowing that some of the “blurred tones” looked interesting...alas ne’er to be seen again, bright lime greens and warm browns in particular!
Old Sunday 23rd August 2020, 18:25   #893
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Anyway, like all of us I imagine, I also have high hopes for the next few weeks, I’ve let the raspberry patch grow for the Grasshopper Warblers.
You need to think higher. I've got a small cabbage patch coming along nicely for the Lanceolated Warbler that will be dropping in at some point ... (imagine it will be a county first too )
Old Monday 24th August 2020, 12:12   #894
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Yellow Wagtail over
Old Tuesday 25th August 2020, 08:29   #895
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Not new, but my second Osprey of the year was a lot closer than the first, or at least it was until it circled up and up.

Two Pied Flycatchers (inc a pristine male in August!!) and a putative Hippolais is going some for a London garden Ken - fantastic. I am still waiting for a Spotted Flycatcher or any warbler other than Willow, Chiffy and Blackcap.

'Hippo' always makes me recall one August lunchtime in the carpark at Porthgwarra when a usually dour Scotsman came running down shouting 'There's a hippo in the bushes just up there'. The many non-birders round the cars probably got the wrong idea.

Steve
Old Tuesday 25th August 2020, 08:45   #896
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Saw my third Pied Fly in less than a week here this morning (pristine males must indeed be very unusual by now, hope you’ve eliminated Pied Bushchat as a possibility Ken ) but like Steve there’s nothing else apparently on the move yet, I hope the Tree Pipits haven’t slipped away already, it’s an embarrassing omission on the Garden Year list
An Osprey is as likely as a real Hippo here!
Old Tuesday 25th August 2020, 15:08   #897
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Not new, but my second Osprey of the year was a lot closer than the first, or at least it was until it circled up and up.

Two Pied Flycatchers (inc a pristine male in August!!) and a putative Hippolais is going some for a London garden Ken - fantastic. I am still waiting for a Spotted Flycatcher or any warbler other than Willow, Chiffy and Blackcap.
Last year Steve Aug.30th I imaged 2m away, an imm.(believed female) Common Redstart from the bedroom window, then on the 2nd of September, from the same window a Pied and Spot Fly.

Yes exceptional to get all three within a couple of days, but then Yellow-browed Warblers again imaged in consecutive October’s ‘15 and ‘16 from the same window does say something about the amount of time that’s employed and not forgetting the location!

Regarding my first “pristine” Male Pied fly of the year, the uppers looked quite cold grey hence it was referenced as a male.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by KenM : Tuesday 25th August 2020 at 15:22. Reason: edit
Old Tuesday 25th August 2020, 16:34   #898
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

[quote=KenM;4050363

Happy hunting.[/QUOTE]

Don’t mention the ‘h’ word Ken, it all gets dangerous out and about here next week, only five hunting days per week, no doubt the handsome Roe Deer stag I saw this am. is on borrowed time now
Old Tuesday 25th August 2020, 17:21   #899
KenM

Quote:
Don’t mention the ‘h’ word Ken, it all gets dangerous out and about here next week, only five hunting days per week, no doubt the handsome Roe Deer stag I saw this am. is on borrowed time now
He’s a cull-ectable then, as far as the hunters are concerned, all rather sad Richard.
Old Tuesday 25th August 2020, 17:47   #900
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
He’s a cull-ectable then, as far as the hunters are concerned, all rather sad Richard.
Too true, sad for the Roe Deer, and dangerous for the rest of us, I wonder how many joggers, mushroom pickers and mountain bikers will be accidentally culled this year.......
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: