Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

September Moths

Old Sunday 6th September 2020, 23:38   #26
Rubia

Just had my problem moth from 03/09 confirmed. It was what I thought, but seemed too good to be true at the time. Heath Rustic. 2nd Herts record I think.
Old Monday 7th September 2020, 01:10   #27
Rubia

06/09. 64 moths of 20 species. Stopped at 00:20 as the temp dropping and moths not coming in any more. New for garden a Frosted Orange, lovely moth. nfy Old Lady. Other than them everything was very much as the last post in terms of the big number types and the nicer looking.
Old Monday 7th September 2020, 20:14   #28
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia View Post
Just had my problem moth from 03/09 confirmed. It was what I thought, but seemed too good to be true at the time. Heath Rustic. 2nd Herts record I think.
Nice one! Got a pic?
Old Monday 7th September 2020, 20:43   #29
Rubia

Click image for larger version

Name:	EJXQ4308[1].JPG
Views:	17
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	736523
Heath Rustic. Hi Dantheman, here it is. Probably not the most inspiring moth you've ever seen for all it's rarity here.
Old Monday 7th September 2020, 20:54   #30
dantheman
Bah humbug

Can see it though. Nice, and a good challenge I guess.

(Unlikely to get anything like a county rare here ... what with Cornwall including the Isles of Scilly and plenty of regular trappers in great locations)

Last edited by dantheman : Monday 7th September 2020 at 21:07.
Old Monday 7th September 2020, 21:03   #31
dantheman
Bah humbug

Last night (6th) - 53 of 10

22 Large Yellow Underwing just beating 19 Flounced Rustic, with 2nd Snout, a fresh Common Carpet and a Large Ranunculus NFG (possibly a lifer too).

Micros - LBAM, Elbow-streaked Grass Veneer and 1 to id (Edit; I'm thinking Celypha striana?)

Stats for the last 4 nights - 53, 52, 53, 53 macros; 19, 31, 31 and then 19 Flounced Rustic (Large Yellow Underwings were 22, 10, 12, 22). Species diversity: 9, 11, 8 and then 10. But 19 species overall, with only Large Yellow Underwing, Set Heb Character, Small Square Spot and Flounced Rustic every night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	large r.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	736538  Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	736539  

Last edited by dantheman : Monday 7th September 2020 at 22:56.
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 00:10   #32
Rubia

07/09. 46 moths of 16 species. Consisting of the same things that turn up most nights now, with the exception of a Tree-lichen Beauty (first this month).
I'm awaiting the Sallows for a bit of colour and newness.
Garden list now 392 (started at 52 pre-trap in April); 4 micros added from gen dets; so heading towards 400.
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 09:32   #33
Allen

Weekend trapping in Surrey produced couple of Centre barred Sallows, Brindled Green, Dusky Thorn, a nice dopey Hornet and LBBYU and LYU.

Back in Hants and a Silver Y, Box Moth, Willow Beauty and lots of LYU.

"You should have been here 5 minutes ago"
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 09:39   #34
dantheman
Bah humbug

Guess how many moths in the trap last night?
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 09:48   #35
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Guess how many moths in the trap last night?
This question is akin to one that I once saw when I used to do quizzes....'how many footmen were there at the West door of Westmister Abbey for the marriage of Charles and Diana'......answer 'how the f *** do I know!
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 16:38   #36
Farnboro John

Couple of days catch-up:

7 Sep: Just six species produced nothing exciting, and were dominated by 15 Square-spot Rustics with 6 Large Yellow Underwings second. Temperature was nothing to write home about though.

8 Sep: A warmer night and a bigger catch with 71 individuals of 13 species. 34 were Square-spot Rustics and 17 Large Yellow Underwings. Dusky Thorn, Angle Shades, 3 Oak Hook-tips and a Rosy Rustic added to the fun: ten wasps rather detracted from it!

John
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 18:51   #37
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
This question is akin to one that I once saw when I used to do quizzes....'how many footmen were there at the West door of Westmister Abbey for the marriage of Charles and Diana'......answer 'how the f *** do I know!
Context is important - see post #31 above. (Maybe it needed an emoticon an exclamation mark or something ... or maybe no-one reads my posts )

Anyway ... 53 macro species again, for almost the fifth night in a row.

Garden Carpet, a fresh Snout and a different Mullein Wave. Ten species in all, with 21 Large YU, 16 Flounced Rustic and a single rather long-winged Flame Shoulder.
Old Wednesday 9th September 2020, 07:48   #38
andyadcock

The first taste of autumn for me here with a pristine, cryptically lovely, Black Rustic, one of my faourite moths.

Conditions remain chilly overnight here and the wind is a nuisance at the moment too so my catch remains in single figures, nightly, mostly S-s Rustic a Lge Y-U.

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 9th September 2020 at 07:50.
Old Wednesday 9th September 2020, 16:28   #39
Farnboro John

Today's moths (morning of 9/9) after a warm night: 85 of 15 species. Large Yellow Underwings dominated with 33, followed by Square-spot Rustics with 23. Also-rans included 4 Flounced Rustics, Oak Hook-tips and Vines Rustics; three each of Lesser Yellow Underwing, Light Emerald and Box Tree Moth. Interest came from a Dusky Thorn, Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (what a stunner that is) and a sudden species reappearance from a single Shuttle-shaped Dart.

John
Old Wednesday 9th September 2020, 17:00   #40
Rubia

Last night I trapped till 11:30 then stopped as little was happening; and I’d done a 9 hour shift as a plumbers mate (my hot water cylinder leaked two nights ago and needed replacing so I assisted the plumber). I now know more about plumbing than 24 hours ago, but will no doubt have forgotten it in another 48. Again it was moderately repetitive with the same stuff as previous nights. I’ve seen enough Square-spot Rustics and Common Wainscots to last a decade. I did, nevertheless, get my first of the desired Sallows, a Centre-barred Sallow. A Brindled Green and Dusky Thorn (all three outside the trap) were the more interesting moths. I had a reappearance Shuttle-shaped Dart too. Overall, 53 of 19 species. It was warm and slightly cloudy here so I was disappointed not to see more stuff flying. Tonight looks clear and cool, so I’m not expecting a lot but will give it a go.
Old Wednesday 9th September 2020, 17:09   #41
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

I thought last night looked promising, and I suppose it produced the goods with my biggest catch for a while - still only 72/16 though. Highlight was the first Lunar Underwing of the year. Yus still going strong with 24 Lesser and 20 large but still no Least.

Cool nights forecast for the rest of the week so I will leave it for a while now.

Steve
Old Wednesday 9th September 2020, 18:57   #42
dantheman
Bah humbug

Finally moved on from the statistically improbable tally of catching 53 moths per night; 66 of 10 macros.

33 were Large Yellow Underwing, followed by 16 Flounced Rustic. Singles of Copper Underwing, Pale Mottled Willow, Common Marbled Carpet and a NFG Light Emerald, plus a few micros.

Four moths outside the trap were dead however - suspect harvestman/spider damage so may move potential culprits elsewhere ...
Old Wednesday 9th September 2020, 19:07   #43
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Been a fair old cold spell up here, my session on 3rd yielded nothing more remarkable than my first Common Rustic agg for a while. Last night was a sight milder, although the wind picked up more than I'd have liked. In the end though not too shabby, with Dusky Thorn, Yellow-barred Brindle, Double-striped Pug some of the notables out of 50 moths of 16 species. Top billing goes to two new species though, a trio of Centre-barred Sallows and a Rosy Rustic, the latter a lot more attractive than its field guide illustration, really pretty. Also, first time in a long time that Large Yellow Underwing was not the most numerous species, outstripped by Common Marbled Carpet by 11 to 7.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5647.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	331.8 KB
ID:	736789  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5632.JPG
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	736790  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5600.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	357.0 KB
ID:	736791  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5614.JPG
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	736792  
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
Old Thursday 10th September 2020, 20:01   #44
dantheman
Bah humbug

Nice, not really had any 'autumn' moths here yet apart from Frosted Orange I think.

Last night, 9th, checked around 6:30am, 48 of 6 macro species.

Large Yellow Underwing 32 (9 were in the vegetation outside the trap)
Flounced Rustic 12 (2 out, and some getting quite worn now)
Snout 1 (Out)
Square Spot Rustic 1
Pinion-streaked Snout 1
Knotgrass 1

No Setaceous Hebrew Character or Small Square Spot, but excitement just about maintained by the P-sSnout and Knotgrass being the first for over 3 weeks. 1 micro.

Last edited by dantheman : Thursday 10th September 2020 at 20:16.
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 09:51   #45
dantheman
Bah humbug

10th, checked early (6:20am, too early had to go back out when lighter). 31 of 9

LYU 14
Flounced Rustic 9
Set Heb Ch 2
Shuttle-shaped Dart 1
Lesser Y Underwing 1
Sq Spot Rustic 1
Pale Mottled Willow 1 (diff to previous)
Common Marbled Carpet 1 (diff to previous)
Black Rustic 1 NFG

No micros
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 10:30   #46
Farnboro John

Another three-day catch-up - life seems just headlong at the moment, not sure why!

10/9: 85 moths of 13 species. Large YUW 16 beaten by Sq-sp Rustic 44! Flounced Rustic 7, Box Tree Moth 6, Lesser YUW 4. Best moths a nice Garden Carpet, a Shuttle-shaped Dart proving the last one wasn't a total fluke, and a Snout.

11/9: 19 years ago I was at the Mount Kenya Safari Club thinking this is going to be a long drive home, as the world changed and all the airliners were grounded. Now I'm at home thinking anywhere is going to be a long drive as all the airliners are grounded.... Anyway, moths. 70 individuals of 11 species: Large YUW 16, Sq-sp Rustic 31: Lesser YUW 7, Flounced Rustic 6, Box Tree Moth 4. September Thorn, Copper Underwing, Oak Hook-tip all nice to see.

12/9 (this morning) 99 moths of 11 species. 44 Sq-sp Rustics beat 21 Large YUW, 12 Box Tree Moths trailed in third with 7 Flounced Rustics and 6 Lesser YUW limping in behind them. Moth of the day: Centre-barred Sallow (tick!) Red-green Carpet and Yellow Shell out of the ordinary.

John
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 12:07   #47
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Another three-day catch-up - life seems just headlong at the moment, not sure why!

10/9: 85 moths of 13 species. Large YUW 16 beaten by Sq-sp Rustic 44! Flounced Rustic 7, Box Tree Moth 6, Lesser YUW 4. Best moths a nice Garden Carpet, a Shuttle-shaped Dart proving the last one wasn't a total fluke, and a Snout.

11/9: 19 years ago I was at the Mount Kenya Safari Club thinking this is going to be a long drive home, as the world changed and all the airliners were grounded. Now I'm at home thinking anywhere is going to be a long drive as all the airliners are grounded.... Anyway, moths. 70 individuals of 11 species: Large YUW 16, Sq-sp Rustic 31: Lesser YUW 7, Flounced Rustic 6, Box Tree Moth 4. September Thorn, Copper Underwing, Oak Hook-tip all nice to see.

12/9 (this morning) 99 moths of 11 species. 44 Sq-sp Rustics beat 21 Large YUW, 12 Box Tree Moths trailed in third with 7 Flounced Rustics and 6 Lesser YUW limping in behind them. Moth of the day: Centre-barred Sallow (tick!) Red-green Carpet and Yellow Shell out of the ordinary.

John
Today, a year ago, I was on the way home from Uganda, blissfully unaware of the events that would unfold and literally, clip our wings.
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 18:15   #48
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Properly autumn now, moth-wise at least, as I caught my first two Black Rustics of the year. My earliest record ever to boot. Also two Lunar Underwings, but the other autumn specials have yet to put in an appearance.

Steve
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 19:13   #49
dantheman
Bah humbug

Back to summer here (well not really). Last night 11th, checked briefly at 6:10 and then properly at 7am - 46 of 7 macros (no micros)

31 Large Yellow Underwing
5 Flounced Rustic
5 Setaceous Hebrew Character
2 Brimstone
1 Large Ranunculus
1 Rosy Footman
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 07:44   #50
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Another breezy night up here, but relatively mild, the night producing 42 moths of 18 species. Leader in the "not seen one of those for a while" field was a Red-green Carpet, only my second record, the first being back at the end of May. Tawny Speckled Pug & Shuttle-shaped Dart both cropped up after a month's absence, Vapourer, Dusky Thorn, Sallow & Snout added to the variety, and a Frosted Orange was a welcome tick. Common Marbled Carpet and Lesser Yellow Underwing, each with 7, beat Large Yellow Underwing's 4 into third place on numbers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5717.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	737064  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5673.JPG
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	737065  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5678.JPG