Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ghana trip

Old Saturday 5th September 2020, 19:23   #51
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
My wife has been birding far longer than me, studied ornitholgy in college, grew up in two of the finest birding areas of the USA (SE Arizona and S Texas), and has never kept a list and never will. Yet she is just as crazed and consummed as I am about getting out to new places and seeing new birds...
Totally relate to this - I started a life list many years ago which ended up going awry because I then felt I should indicate Country and sub-species, then I just started forgetting. When I first started birding (&# yrs ago!), I obsessively kept a UK day list which was all about the numbers - loss interest in that through boredom of listing many of the same species repeatedly from week to week. Iím not averse to lists though, as I get older, I rely on them totally from preparing for holidays, shopping, domestic errands and work tasks!

Iím still hoping to do Finland next Spring which is probably a good location given the low infection rates there but everything just feels so uncertain and up in the air that Iím reticent to book anything.
http://www.osme.org
Old Saturday 5th September 2020, 19:46   #52
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Enjoying seeing new birds is a big thing for me and in birding in general but I most enjoy going places where I don't get over whelmed by new stuff. Which is why i keep returning to certain areas, especially southern Africa and SE Asia. I kept a British list until I past 500 but my heart hadn't been in it since the late 80's and most of it wasn't really new as I'd seen most it abroad. I am the only Suffolk birder I know who doesn't keep a Suffolk list. I pretty sure every Suffolk birder I know doesn't believe that I don't.

@SteveBabbs
Old Saturday 5th September 2020, 20:08   #53
YuShan

Talking

I'm keeping a life list but I'm definitely not obsessed with it. But growing it is a good excuse for new adventures! Most of my travels are a combination of walking, (wild) camping (where possible) and birding so I'm aiming at a holistic nature experience. But it is always nice to have a concrete goal like seeing new birds as well as hiking a certain route. Building memories that will be with me for the rest of my life. When I'm at home browsing through my life list in Scythebill, I'm reliving some of my adventures so it gives me joy every time. This is why I'm keeping a list.
Old Saturday 5th September 2020, 20:54   #54
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
I would have no idea within the nearest few thousand what my bird list is and don't care but I sympathise with the terrible urge to go abroad - although I did manage a quick trip to France and paid the price in quarantine time. It's like withdrawal from a drug but with the withdrawal symptoms getting worse not better. I have a slight hope of doing the trip to Uganda that I had planned for this summer next summer but I'll be very surprised if I leave Europe before then. I'm expected a winter surge in Covid. I do hope I'm wrong though and can do the Tanzania trip I had to cancel last Easter before the hotels I'd booked go bust.
A valid question,
how much of the bird or wider, eco tourism infrastructure will remain?

Some tour companies, have very low or indeed, no, overheads so will emerge from this mess and just pick up where they left off to an extent but small hotels may go bust and guides wil be having a terrible time.

Instead of using the funds made out of testing at the airport in Ghana, to refurbish and maintain the airport as stated, testing should be done at cost, to stimulate tourism or, failing that, divert the excess income to a
a fund for those who have no income due to Covid.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 5th September 2020 at 20:58.
Old Sunday 6th September 2020, 01:35   #55
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Looks like it's all about optics for you, the first 5 pages of your post history is all about optics, I guess the rest are.

If it really was 'all about ticks', I think I'd have managed more than a big, fat zero, even this year so you enjoy what you do and leave other people to do what they enjoy.
You do realize, don't you, that your querulous rendition of the frustrated international birder (var. brexitania)'s plaintive cry on a public forum might result in some replies that fall short of full-throated support?

I can fully understand the desire to bird abroad - but with the "old normal" looking like it might take a while to return (if it ever does...), a lot of us are just going to have to find our "new experiences, meeting new people, seeing new places and seeing new birds" closer to home. Best of luck there, then...

PS. I'm flattered that you took the trouble to read five pages of my post history, but if you'd read through it more carefully, you'd have seen a number of posts relating to the uses to which said optics are put.
Old Sunday 6th September 2020, 11:22   #56
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
A valid question,
how much of the bird or wider, eco tourism infrastructure will remain?

Some tour companies, have very low or indeed, no, overheads so will emerge from this mess and just pick up where they left off to an extent but small hotels may go bust and guides wil be having a terrible time.

Instead of using the funds made out of testing at the airport in Ghana, to refurbish and maintain the airport as stated, testing should be done at cost, to stimulate tourism or, failing that, divert the excess income to a
a fund for those who have no income due to Covid.
I don't use tour companies - apart from in Ethiopia when I used a local one - but I really felt for the hotels when I cancelled my bookings and when I promised them I'd be visiting asap I did wonder if that would be too late.

@SteveBabbs
Old Sunday 6th September 2020, 11:25   #57
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuShan View Post
I'm keeping a life list but I'm definitely not obsessed with it. But growing it is a good excuse for new adventures! Most of my travels are a combination of walking, (wild) camping (where possible) and birding so I'm aiming at a holistic nature experience. But it is always nice to have a concrete goal like seeing new birds as well as hiking a certain route. Building memories that will be with me for the rest of my life. When I'm at home browsing through my life list in Scythebill, I'm reliving some of my adventures so it gives me joy every time. This is why I'm keeping a list.
I do that a lot by looking through my notes and photos and my website is as much for me to look through as anyone else. I do usually know when a species is new; I just don't keep any lists. I have folders of my wildlife watching diary going back to 1978.

@SteveBabbs
Old Sunday 6th September 2020, 12:14   #58
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
I do that a lot by looking through my notes and photos and my website is as much for me to look through as anyone else. I do usually know when a species is new; I just don't keep any lists. I have folders of my wildlife watching diary going back to 1978.
The only reason I know how many birds I've seen is because Scythebill does an automatic report.
Old Sunday 6th September 2020, 14:41   #59
Mysticete

Since the thread has wandered towards listing, I also keep a life list, as well as "local" regional lists for ABA, USA, states I have lived in, current county, and Japan (which I have also lived in).

I prioritize trips based on those lists (and time of year/expense, obviously). My goal is to hit 700 ABA before I turn 50 (72 to go, so doable if I hit up Hawaii soon), and ultimately to see at least one member of every family and subfamily of bird in the world.

With Covid-19, I was able to add 2 ABA birds just from luck, but haven't felt comfortable traveling further afield (new families in WI are nearly impossible). And of course my first trip to the Neotropics that would have given me a ton of new bird families was also postponed to hopefully this summer. I am hopeful that a vaccine will be available sooner than later, and I can be more comfortable traveling farther afield.
Mammal: 233 Herp: 174
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 10:21   #60
stuartvine

We hummed and hawed about taking our usual trip to somewhere warm, sunny, with birds, history and hiking. Eventually we just decided to do an extensive tour of the South West of England (and hope that none of that is declared a Covid hot-spot!) So, starting at Slimbridge on Saturday and working south from there :-) Unlikely to see many/any new birds, but will still be enjoyable. (Unless the weather turns, in which case, we'll probably head to somewhere drier, like Norfolk.
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 11:58   #61
peter.jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartvine View Post
We hummed and hawed about taking our usual trip to somewhere warm, sunny, with birds, history and hiking. Eventually we just decided to do an extensive tour of the South West of England (and hope that none of that is declared a Covid hot-spot!) So, starting at Slimbridge on Saturday and working south from there :-) Unlikely to see many/any new birds, but will still be enjoyable. (Unless the weather turns, in which case, we'll probably head to somewhere drier, like Norfolk.
Enjoy, just be slightly aware that the south has been busier than usual this year, often spectacularly so! Things will hopefully be easing off now with summer hols over etc.

I've had a surprisingly good year in search of wildlife and flowers along the coast and New Forest, but wow it's been busy within 100 metres of any car park!

Last edited by peter.jones : Tuesday 8th September 2020 at 12:00.
Old Tuesday 8th September 2020, 12:16   #62
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
Enjoy, just be slightly aware that the south has been busier than usual this year, often spectacularly so! Things will hopefully be easing off now with summer hols over etc.

I've had a surprisingly good year in search of wildlife and flowers along the coast and New Forest, but wow it's been busy within 100 metres of any car park!
The very thing that put me off doing a 'staycation', that and the exhorbitant prices being charged by many hoteliers and associated businesses.

I've got some 'me' time when the wife takes our toddler to Russia over the Orthodox Christmas and New year so looks like I'll have to do something last minute if possible. I'm certainly not shelling out a stack of cash in advance, with the higher than average chance of losing it.
Old Wednesday 9th September 2020, 15:21   #63
andyadcock

It seems, from current news articles, getting a Covid test unless you are symptomatic, is actually pretty difficult in the UK right now so I doubt that saying you needed it to go on holiday, would get you very far, hence my commnent above regarding private stocks of test kits..
Old Wednesday 9th September 2020, 17:13   #64
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Many non-symptomatic people must be having tests as the results are running something like 2500-3000 cases out of around 175,000 tests done.
Old Thursday 10th September 2020, 21:09   #65
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Many non-symptomatic people must be having tests as the results are running something like 2500-3000 cases out of around 175,000 tests done.
There is targeted testing of asymptomatic individuals in spike areas. There is talk of increasing capacity & trials of 20 & 90 minute tests that are proceeding well (apparently).

Stay safe

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Thursday 10th September 2020, 23:33   #66
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

For a little bit of crazy . . . Hong Kong has offered free tests. 1.33 million people have taken them, and just 21 have been found to be carriers.

Also going stir crazy, but local patching has its rewards now that autumn has kicked in.

Cheers
Mike
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 06:31   #67
andyadcock

Quote:
From another thread, posted by Nutty.

'And of the truly pathetic operation of testing in UK . . .

Tottenham constituent told to drive to Inverness for their test:
https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/statu...140267009?s=20

East Dulwich (south London) constituent told to WALK to St Andrews, Fife, for their test:
https://twitter.com/helenhayes_/stat...819333632?s=20

No wonder UK is currently claiming a fairly low case rate compared to several other European countries.'
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 06:34   #68
andyadcock

Quote:
Not sure Steve,
this could be through an abundance of caution with every one who has even the suggestion of a single symptom, being tested.

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 11th September 2020 at 06:46.
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 12:38   #69
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Off topic I know but does everybody see the 'Beautiful Bra that's also comfortable' advert at the end of this thread, or is it for some daft reason targeted at certain people including me?

Steve
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 15:16   #70
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Off topic I know but does everybody see the 'Beautiful Bra that's also comfortable' advert at the end of this thread, or is it for some daft reason targeted at certain people including me?

Steve
Adverts at the top are targeted I believe but thanks for the laugh in difficult times.

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 15:26   #71
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:

Steve
I get a vitamin D advert :)

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th September 2020, 16:23   #72
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Adverts at the top are targeted I believe but thanks for the laugh in difficult times.
If itís for a bra youíre indeed correct Paul in saying that
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 16:55   #73
YuShan

Talking

Long live artificial intelligence! A few years ago, a few of my blue tit videos were taken down by a Youtube moderation bot. They got restored after I pointed out that a blue tit is a bird species, including a link to this species on the RSPB site. True story.
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 18:12   #74
andyadcock

Quote:

Steve
The adverts stop when you end your subscription to 'Top Tottie' magazine I believe Steve.

Seriously, I don't see any ads at all?
Old Friday 11th September 2020, 18:16   #75
THE_FERN

Quote:
The adverts stop when you end your subscription to 'Top Tottie' magazine I believe Steve.

Seriously, I don't see any ads at all?
I see the same ones. Better stop drinking so much...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: