Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ghana trip

Old Friday 11th September 2020, 18:34   #76
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Current adverts are Pendo (whatever that is) at the top of the page and Dell laptops after the last post.

I would much prefer not to see any, so I wonder what you are doing different Andy.

Steve
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 06:24   #77
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Current adverts are Pendo (whatever that is) at the top of the page and Dell laptops after the last post.

I would much prefer not to see any, so I wonder what you are doing different Andy.

Steve
Running two adblockers, Adblock and Adblock Plus, both icons are visible at all times and both, show the same number of blocked ads, specific to each site you're viewing.

By comparison, Youtube, five blocked, Amazon, two blocked, Ebay, eight blocked, Birdforum, thirteen blocked, all since logon an hour ago.

The site owner will tell you that the site costs him money to run so the adverts help fund it's continued survival.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 12th September 2020 at 06:57.
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 07:06   #78
andyadcock

Back to testing, there is no way that I'd book a trip which depended on me being able to get a test, they just don't seem widely, reliably available.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54121367

Nobody has so far answered my query as to whether a 'private' supply is available for those who want / need to pay for a test but I have found a site whioch offers the servive.

https://doctap.co.uk/services/coronavirus-test/

They offer money back if you don't get the results in time but you'd still lose your trip if they didn't.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 12th September 2020 at 07:11.
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 16:47   #79
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Back to testing, there is no way that I'd book a trip which depended on me being able to get a test
Unfortunately, with the UK rate now above 26/100,000, that excludes you from an increasing number of European countries too, and very probably all EU countries in the very near future.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 19:57   #80
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Unfortunately, with the UK rate now above 26/100,000, that excludes you from an increasing number of European countries too, and very probably all EU countries in the very near future.
Pretty much the whole of Europe is in a mess on the Worldometers numbers - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. On yesterday's confirmed cases, I get the UK at 22nd highest on confirmed cases per 100,000 population for yesterday. In order:-

Andorra
Montenegro
France
Czechia
Moldova
Luxembourg
Spain
Malta
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Monaco
Belgium
Hungary
Netherlands
Romania
Ukraine
Portugal
North Macedonia
Austria
Switzerland
Albania
Slovenia
UK

Calculations attached. Trying to get a Webinar I sat through in a format that I can share as some interesting stats.

All the best

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Daily Cases (11.09.20).xlsx (11.1 KB, 6 views)

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.

Last edited by Paul Chapman : Saturday 12th September 2020 at 20:04.
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 20:49   #81
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman View Post
Pretty much the whole of Europe is in a mess on the Worldometers numbers - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. On yesterday's confirmed cases, I get the UK at 22nd highest on confirmed cases per 100,000 population for yesterday.
Indeed, wasn't intending to single out the UK, just that the poster is resident in the UK. Many EU nations now require a negative test result before travel for residents from any country with over 25/100,000 and there are moves to try and standardize this as a standard across the EU. Bar the Scandanavian and Baltic bubble, there are now very few countries indeed that remain below the threshold.

Numbers also climbing in Lithuania, but still well below the 25 count, so travel in the EU is still permitted without restriction on arrival, but do need to isolate on return to Lithuania from virtually everywhere, and test :)

Last edited by Jos Stratford : Saturday 12th September 2020 at 20:53.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 21:46   #82
Lanhua

Andy, I'm just back from three weeks birding trip to Tanzania, which was I think the first country which has opened the boarder for foreign tourist.
I'm living close to Swiss boarder, so I went to Basel and got my test within 24 hours, cost 160 SF. After returning to Germany I have had to go for test again, but this test pay the government, I need to provide flight ticket or any another evidence, that I'm returning from an risk country.
November I planed as well to go to Ghana, but the message from the tours company is the same which you got. To be honest it's ridiculous to ask people come to Ghana, but I have to walk the whole day using mask and rubber gloves. Fortunately many another countries in Africa are going to accept tourist soon.

Mietek
Old Saturday 12th September 2020, 22:26   #83
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Indeed, wasn't intending to single out the UK, just that the poster is resident in the UK. Many EU nations now require a negative test result before travel for residents from any country with over 25/100,000 and there are moves to try and standardize this as a standard across the EU. Bar the Scandanavian and Baltic bubble, there are now very few countries indeed that remain below the threshold.

Numbers also climbing in Lithuania, but still well below the 25 count, so travel in the EU is still permitted without restriction on arrival, but do need to isolate on return to Lithuania from virtually everywhere, and test :)
Noted. I am in a waiting game really whilst shifting weight & trying to get fit so hoping travel can resume in 2021.

Stay safe & I hope you are feeling recovered from your recent illness.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 06:18   #84
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanhua View Post
Andy, I'm just back from three weeks birding trip to Tanzania, which was I think the first country which has opened the boarder for foreign tourist.
I'm living close to Swiss boarder, so I went to Basel and got my test within 24 hours, cost 160 SF. After returning to Germany I have had to go for test again, but this test pay the government, I need to provide flight ticket or any another evidence, that I'm returning from an risk country.
November I planed as well to go to Ghana, but the message from the tours company is the same which you got. To be honest it's ridiculous to ask people come to Ghana, but I have to walk the whole day using mask and rubber gloves. Fortunately many another countries in Africa are going to accept tourist soon.

Mietek

Thanks Mietek,
must be easier to get a test there than it is here, were you also tested on arrival in Tanzania as you would be in Ghana?

Jos,
overpriced Europe doesn't interest me right now, especially with the £ being almost 1-1 with the Euro.

Last edited by andyadcock : Sunday 13th September 2020 at 06:20.
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 07:37   #85
Lanhua

Andy, no test and no stress on the emigration. Tanzanian is happy to receive tourist.
I travelled with a Norwegian guy, who is living in Tanzania, a very good guide.
Mietek
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 21:56   #86
kb57

One problem we are going to find when the pandemic (hopefully) recedes is that it won't be quite as easy to get where we want to go.
A major airline has pulled out of our local airport (Easyjet from Newcastle), there is no sign of Emirates reinstating the Dubai connection anytime soon, and a lot of flights have been cancelled to other hubs - we had a trip to Greece planned from pre-Covid for next week but BA pulled our Heathrow connection - not that we'd have wanted to go anyway, as our plans involved ferries / trains.
We did get to Portugal in July - I hadn't planned to, but we were desperate to get away and my partner had booked to go with her self-isolating friend who couldn't therefore travel. Our direct flight was then cancelled about a week after I booked my ticket, so we went via Amsterdam (using a voucher from an earlier cancelled flight!). We ate most of our time in our apartment, conveniently owned by the restaurant below who delivered us takeaways, and I have to say Newcastle, Faro, and Amsterdam on the way out were quiet and safe. Amsterdam on the way back not so good...lots of staff not wearing masks, and we were forced into a crowded bus to take us to the aircraft. And of course we had to self-isolate on return.
I'm very lucky in a lot of ways - able to work from home, still have a job...but feel I'm getting too used to staying on my own and not getting out, have even lost my interest in birding this year. Hoping a trip to south Scotland next week will renew my enthusiasm, a few days in a holiday cottage near Aberlady isn't exactly Lake Kerkini though!
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 02:52   #87
Mysticete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb57 View Post
One problem we are going to find when the pandemic (hopefully) recedes is that it won't be quite as easy to get where we want to go.
A major airline has pulled out of our local airport (Easyjet from Newcastle), there is no sign of Emirates reinstating the Dubai connection anytime soon, and a lot of flights have been cancelled to other hubs - we had a trip to Greece planned from pre-Covid for next week but BA pulled our Heathrow connection - not that we'd have wanted to go anyway, as our plans involved ferries / trains.
We did get to Portugal in July - I hadn't planned to, but we were desperate to get away and my partner had booked to go with her self-isolating friend who couldn't therefore travel. Our direct flight was then cancelled about a week after I booked my ticket, so we went via Amsterdam (using a voucher from an earlier cancelled flight!). We ate most of our time in our apartment, conveniently owned by the restaurant below who delivered us takeaways, and I have to say Newcastle, Faro, and Amsterdam on the way out were quiet and safe. Amsterdam on the way back not so good...lots of staff not wearing masks, and we were forced into a crowded bus to take us to the aircraft. And of course we had to self-isolate on return.
I'm very lucky in a lot of ways - able to work from home, still have a job...but feel I'm getting too used to staying on my own and not getting out, have even lost my interest in birding this year. Hoping a trip to south Scotland next week will renew my enthusiasm, a few days in a holiday cottage near Aberlady isn't exactly Lake Kerkini though!
I suspect that once it gets safe to travel there will be, economy allowing, a pretty big surge in people traveling. I know I am not the only person desperately longing to get away to somewhere else. So hopefully many of these routes will get reinstated pretty quickly.
Mammal: 233 Herp: 174
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 06:19   #88
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
I suspect that once it gets safe to travel there will be, economy allowing, a pretty big surge in people traveling. I know I am not the only person desperately longing to get away to somewhere else. So hopefully many of these routes will get reinstated pretty quickly.
The thing really is, will there be many / any airlines which survive this, BA is struggling badly as is Virgin and a few smaller ones have alread gone.

If demand oustrips supply, gone is the economy flight.
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 07:49   #89
YuShan

Bankruptcy doesn't mean the business (or even the specific airlines) disappear. It just means that the current shareholders and some bondholders are wiped out. Once that has happened, new investors buy the assets and restart (part of) the airline. That's why we should never be duped into accepting that the government bail them out. There are trillions of private money available to invest in them if their business is viable.
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 08:26   #90
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuShan View Post
Bankruptcy doesn't mean the business (or even the specific airlines) disappear. It just means that the current shareholders and some bondholders are wiped out. Once that has happened, new investors buy the assets and restart (part of) the airline. That's why we should never be duped into accepting that the government bail them out. There are trillions of private money available to invest in them if their business is viable.
Bankruptcy as I vaguely understand it, involves a debt to creditors and selling off assets to pay those creditors, in this case, those assets woul be aircraft?

Investors typically invest in the form of shares, can a bankrupt company even offer shares?

Where's Paul...?
Old Thursday 17th September 2020, 08:30   #91
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Thanks Mietek,
must be easier to get a test there than it is here, were you also tested on arrival in Tanzania as you would be in Ghana?

Jos,
overpriced Europe doesn't interest me right now, especially with the £ being almost 1-1 with the Euro.
You'd still have to self-isolate when you returned. I'd be rather reluctant to travel to Tanzania - although I was hoping to reschedule this year's visit to Tanzania to next Easter, as I feel that is now unlikely - as there is no way of knowing how rife it is due to the president saying that the power of prayer has removed it from the country.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/w...president.html

@SteveBabbs
Old Friday 18th September 2020, 14:59   #92
Paul Chapman

Quote:
Bankruptcy as I vaguely understand it, involves a debt to creditors and selling off assets to pay those creditors, in this case, those assets woul be aircraft?

Investors typically invest in the form of shares, can a bankrupt company even offer shares?

Where's Paul...?
I suspect most corporate insolvencies end up with the assets being sold as a single entity so effectively the company then exists in a new guise but with a fraction of the set up costs. If that is not feasible or it can be demonstrated individual sales will produce a better return for creditors, assets will be broken up.

All the best

Old Saturday 19th September 2020, 15:06   #93
Mysticete

Even if airlines go broke and are just bought out and reconstituted after the current crisis is over, that doesn't really do anything for all the workers laid off in the interim. I have to wonder what long term that will do for industry.
Old Saturday 19th September 2020, 18:14   #94
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Even if airlines go broke and are just bought out and reconstituted after the current crisis is over, that doesn't really do anything for all the workers laid off in the interim. I have to wonder what long term that will do for industry.
Demand will way outstrip supply when everything opens up again. I expect that we've seen the last, budget fares for a while and that prices will be high to extortionate for a good time after restart.

we were hoping to get to Russia for the Orthodox Christmas and New year but with a likely second wave emerging, I'm very reluctant to book anything. If flights aren't cancelled but local or national restrictions mean you can't travel to the airport, will you even be entitled to a refund? Too many unknowns.
Old Sunday 20th September 2020, 17:39   #95
Lerxst

Just returned from a week in Mexico (Yucatan area). Other than the masks and additional form to fill out at the airport, and a half-full plane, seemed like 'normal' travel. Our guides had not had a client since March and were enthusiastic to be out there birding and working. It was a cleaning-up bird trip with only 40 targets, most of them tough (e.g. Agami Heron, which we didn't find) but got 24 in all. Flight was cheap. Obviously this is no good for any of you across the pond, though - but for us in the USA, an existence proof that international birding, if very limited, can be done now.
Old Thursday 22nd October 2020, 10:41   #96
peter.jones

Took a while to find this thread again, Andy: you type a lot!

Something else I have started to realise, regarding future trips.
I for one have assumed we'll wake up one day, and this will be over, we go back to doing things we like.
It could be much more complex..
Some countries might open up maybe months, or years ahead of others, some countries may fall into seasonal
Risky periods every year.
So your next trip may not be the one you are thinking of.

About a year ago, I thought about all the places I'd like to visit. Downloaded free maps for my GPS, found places to stay etc.
South Africa and Thailand were pretty much booked, but it might be that churchill polar bears, or Morocco open up a lot quicker than those places? Or vice versa.
I'd make a big list for now, and be flexible.

Last edited by peter.jones : Thursday 22nd October 2020 at 12:12.
Old Thursday 22nd October 2020, 12:29   #97
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
Took a while to find this thread again, Andy: you type a lot!

Something else I have started to realise, regarding future trips.
I for one have assumed we'll wake up one day, and this will be over, we go back to doing things we like.
It could be much more complex..
Some countries might open up maybe months, or years ahead of others, some countries may fall into seasonal
Risky periods every year.
So your next trip may not be the one you are thinking of.

About a year ago, I thought about all the places I'd like to visit. Downloaded free maps for my GPS, found places to stay etc.
South Africa and Thailand were pretty much booked, but it might be that churchill polar bears, or Morocco open up a lot quicker than those places? Or vice versa.
I'd make a big list for now, and be flexible.
Totally agree Peter,
practicalities will decide the next trips for me and I don't relish a long flight with a mask on either!
Old Thursday 22nd October 2020, 13:06   #98
peter.jones

Or it could even go the opposite way, where it is easier to spend a week in Africa, than a week in the Netherlands. These forums may prove very useful for advice when we do start, hopefully dusting off our passports and international driving licenses,
Old Thursday 22nd October 2020, 15:31   #99
Mysticete

Everything is waiting for a vaccine (which I do think will come). I think once one is delivered, you are going to see thinks rapidly open back up. I don't foresee a scenario where some places are open next year whiles others still have limited travel 2 years from now.

About the only issue I can see, affecting birders, is how long this pause is and how it hurts the industry. Will the same lodges and guides be available once travel resumes, or will they go out of business?
Old Thursday 22nd October 2020, 18:46   #100
jurek

I am more worried what happens to wildlife in the tropics without tourists, especially huntable wildlife in Africa.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: