• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorelark in Birmingham (1 Viewer)

xFritzx

Green Birder
Yesterday i was lucky enough to spot a shorelark at Edgbaston Reservoir. It was on its own, milling around with lots of larger birds like crows, geese and ducks. i had no idea that i could see one this far inland, yet alone in such an urban area. i guess this is my best find yet. :cool:

Have you reported to Birdguides etc, so that others may share your good fortune? (assuming the bird is still present, not on private property etc)

That has to be reported to the County recorder and to Birdguides or RBA. That is an important bird for the area.

I did get to see one at Chasewater a few years ago (late 90's I think) and that fetched quite a few birders to the site to watch the bird.

Whereabouts was it on the reservoir. By the old ballroom or further around.

Well done on spotting a local rarity.

John

cheers guys, im quite chuffed.

i wrote to the county reporter immeadiately, but heard nothing back. ill get onto the others now. the reservoir has a large car park and can easily accommodate a larger group of birders. plus, i live right around the corner!

spargeltarzan said:
cheers guys, im quite chuffed.

i wrote to the county reporter immeadiately, but heard nothing back. ill get onto the others now. the reservoir has a large car park and can easily accommodate a larger group of birders. plus, i live right around the corner!

I know it well. I lived in Birmingham for 58 years, plus I used to go fishing there (and also spend the odd night at the old Ballroom).

It doesn't usually pull in a rarity but on the odd occasion it does. Possibly under reported as it possibly is an underwatched site because of how busy the place is.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back