Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

greenfinches dying of Trichomoniasis in UK

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 6th March 2007, 22:06   #1
canaryjayne

greenfinches dying of Trichomoniasis in UK

iIve just been reading in the Wildlife Aid magazine that hundres of Greenfinches have died this past year because of Trichomoniasis, caused by a parasite that livews in the birds throat. Apparantly it has been well publicised in the National press. Im wondering whether this has been happening in a certain area of the UK or is it widespread? Has anyone else more information on this or heard anything else on this subject??
Old Wednesday 7th March 2007, 19:41   #2
jackied
Jax

I think it mainly affected the south and west of the country. Here in the Midlands I had quite a few birds sick and dying over the summer and autumn
Jackie

BF Supporter 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 7th March 2007, 20:14   #3
Colin
Axeman (Retired)

From late summer to the turn of the year, I saw only 5 Greenfinches in one flock which were presumably passing through as I only saw them once. The area where I live is the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire. Thus for about 6 months, I did not see any apart from this one sighting. My neighbours have noted the total lack of this species at their feeders as well. However, over the last few weeks I have seen the odd member of this species and yesterday I heard one calling so they seem to be making a small comeback. I suppose birds from outside the area are moving into unoccupied territories as they would do with the breeding season approaching.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th March 2007, 18:17   #4
patroberts

I live in Englefield Green close to Windsor Park and we used to joke that our bird feeders were Finch City during the winter, this year we have seen them on very few occasions and no more than in 2 or 3 at a time.
Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaryjayne
iIve just been reading in the Wildlife Aid magazine that hundres of Greenfinches have died this past year because of Trichomoniasis, caused by a parasite that livews in the birds throat. Apparantly it has been well publicised in the National press. Im wondering whether this has been happening in a certain area of the UK or is it widespread? Has anyone else more information on this or heard anything else on this subject??
Old Monday 12th March 2007, 19:13   #5
The Raptor
Bristol City's No.1 Fan!

There is a definate drop in numbers of Greenfinches where I live. Used to see four or five on occasions on my feeders. Have seen some on my sites I visit, but not as many as before. Some good news a couple of days ago however, when I spotted two in a Silver Birch tree just behind my House.

Also, had not seen any Goldfinches in my garden for five months until two showed up yesterday.

Rod.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th March 2007, 16:57   #6
canaryjayne

Thanks for your replies. I live next to Richmond Park in Surrey. Haven't seen any Greenfinches for years on my feeders. However I have seen lots of Green Paraqueets feeding. They love the peanuts!!!! They fly in flocks of 40 or more in this area. Anyone in my area seeing Greenfinches????
Old Tuesday 13th March 2007, 19:00   #7
Gomphus

Hi all,

Just to say my garden in the north midlands usually holds good numbers of Greenfinch and Chaffinch, both are massively down this winter, in fact the first Greenfinch for several months returned in the last couple of weeks and began to sing (they usually breed in the garden so fingers crossed). Mine is not the only garden to suffer this drop, Friends just up the road have feeders almost untouched, as do friends ten miles away who normally have a regular flock of over 20 Greenfinch on them...
Incidentally, and worryingly, House Sparrows also seem to have been effected.
I kept my feeders clean etc as recommended and even stopped feeding for a while when the problem became apparant, but others in the area may not have.
I wonder what effect this problem has had nationwide?
Old Wednesday 14th March 2007, 14:16   #8
Mary
BF Supporter 2020

I'm also wondering what the final outcome will be regarding bird numbers, though I don't suppose it will be possible to tell until all migratory birds are back in their breeding areas and counts can be compared with previous years. I had a greenfinch and chaffinch pm'd at the end of last year and both had thrichomonas. A neighbour's cat that doesn't normally catch birds, brought in 9 greenfinches, presumably weakened by disease. I've saturated the local area with hygiene leaflets, and letters in the press(!), and, touch wood, all birds are looking healthy again.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 15th March 2007, 08:08   #9
paulwfromtheden

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. I live next to Richmond Park in Surrey. Haven't seen any Greenfinches for years on my feeders. However I have seen lots of Green Paraqueets feeding. They love the peanuts!!!! They fly in flocks of 40 or more in this area. Anyone in my area seeing Greenfinches????
I live not too far away from you in Croydon, and I was out this morning at Beddington SF, and there were more Greenfinches around than I have seen for ages, outnumbered Robins, Dunnocks, even Wrens.
Old Friday 16th March 2007, 17:00   #10
canaryjayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwfromtheden
I live not too far away from you in Croydon, and I was out this morning at Beddington SF, and there were more Greenfinches around than I have seen for ages, outnumbered Robins, Dunnocks, even Wrens.
Hi Paul, well I must say that's reassuring news. Thanks for that!!!
Old Friday 16th March 2007, 17:54   #11
necrodeath-head
Stuart

Here in my garden there are loads of Goldfinches and Chaffinches.The Greenfinch has hardly made an appearance compared to previous years.But the last week I have seen them more.
Old Saturday 17th March 2007, 20:30   #12
Dave Hall
Bumbling Bears

Here in Warwickshire we had this virus last september and found at least 5 dead Greenfinch in and around our garden following advice we took down all feeders and disinfected them not putting them back up for 3 weeks all winter very few greenfinch in the garden until last couple of weeks numbers now back to normal ish this morning I counted at least 10
Old Saturday 24th March 2007, 17:15   #13
dmeredith

I'm also in Warwickshire and having seen no Greenfinches since about October (before that I found 3 or 4 dead ones but still had a small number of regular visitors before they disappeared) we had a greenfinch visit our new feeder today. Hopefully they'll be some more soon.
Old Saturday 24th March 2007, 17:33   #14
Saphire
Christine

Lots of Greenfinches coming to my feeder now started with one two weeks ago now up to 6. There is a couple of youngsters amongst them.
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 15:53   #15
Jimmernite

Trichomoniasis or Salmonellosis

Quote:
One of these diseases was undoubtedly responsible for the large number of dead finches we saw last year in our West Country garden.

I was reading an article in a parish magazine about a new garden bird drinker based on the hygenic nipple type drinkers used in poultry production. It appears that the problem is seed eating birds that require a lot of water drinking from water that has been contaminated by other birds that have regurgitated contaminated saliva and faeces back into my birdbath.

I bought one and have been amazed how the small birds love it. It has two feeders on the side as well.Most importantly it supplies hygenic water.

You can find it at www.quillgardenbirddrinker.com I had a coupon code from the parish magazine "PPN" try it it might still work. The site is very interesting in any case.

Jimmer
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 16:57   #16
Osprey_watcher
Ένας εραστής όλων των πραγμάτων ελληνικά

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmernite
One of these diseases was undoubtedly responsible for the large number of dead finches we saw last year in our West Country garden.

I was reading an article in a parish magazine about a new garden bird drinker based on the hygenic nipple type drinkers used in poultry production. It appears that the problem is seed eating birds that require a lot of water drinking from water that has been contaminated by other birds that have regurgitated contaminated saliva and faeces back into my birdbath.

I bought one and have been amazed how the small birds love it. It has two feeders on the side as well.Most importantly it supplies hygenic water.

You can find it at www.quillgardenbirddrinker.com I had a coupon code from the parish magazine "PPN" try it it might still work. The site is very interesting in any case.

Jimmer
Thanks for that. My Greenfinches have just come back for the summer and even though I haven't had a problem that I know of I'll be investing in one of these to be safe, and removing the bird bath that seems to only take a day to get dirty after it's been cleaned.
(><)
/_|_\

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 17:04   #17
Marmot

We had about 4 dead Greenfinches and 2 dead Goldfinches last year between Sept - Nov.

This year the most popular birds in our garden are .....Goldfinches & Greenfinches!

I think it was a case of the fittest survived the disease and the bit of winter we had. So hopefully that awful time they had last year is over and things are looking good around here for this season.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th March 2007, 20:57   #18
Jodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmernite

Jimmer
Thanks for the info. I've also just purchased one.
Old Sunday 8th April 2007, 04:23   #19
ELAINER

Hi all - I'm from USA and checked out that Quill Garden Bird Feeder - and I am going to buy it. What a great idea. Thanks for the link Jimmer.
Old Saturday 1st September 2007, 22:22   #20
jennifer49

Hi! I live in Devon and have lost 15 Greenfinches in the last Month! It's so sad to see them die! Have you found any pattern in their feeding habits that could cause this? I am so sad to see these little Birds die! I sterilise the feeders regularly but am concerned that it couldbe the bird-bath that is the source of infection! Would be interested in your comments! Jenny Baker
Old Saturday 1st September 2007, 22:35   #21
Ppedro

Hello Jenny,
a friend of mine who lives in Beeson, South Devon told me a couple weeks ago that she had several greenfinches dying in her garden so sadly i guess it is a widespread problem. Like you she made a good point of thoroughly cleaning every thing. Very sad.
Old Saturday 1st September 2007, 23:04   #22
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
BF Supporter 2020

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppedro View Post
Hello Jenny,
a friend of mine who lives in Beeson, South Devon told me a couple weeks ago that she had several greenfinches dying in her garden so sadly i guess it is a widespread problem. Like you she made a good point of thoroughly cleaning every thing. Very sad.
Hi Jenny/all

This is so sad to hear how the state of play is with the Greenfinches/finches in general at the moment.

I just moved from Aberdeenshire in March this year (to Bedford). I have to say that there where no shortage of greenfinches where I stayed in Aberdeen (and it was farmland mainly).

We have always had a lot of finches of all types while living at our Scottish addresses over the years.

The only odd thing I have found is that one of our male Chaffinches has lumps growing on his legs (like fungal growth), so it cramped his style a bit. So we looked after him a bit. I understand that Chaffinches are prone to this disease. I do not know whether if is to do with food/water hygiene or not?

So this winter will show a lot what has been happening with the Garden Birds in general in Bedford. I think it will be the survival of the fittest too.

I hope it is good news, whatever the outcome.

NB Thanks Jimmer for the link it is very interesting, and I have saved it to my favs.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd September 2007, 13:19   #23
Mary
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer49 View Post
Hi! I live in Devon and have lost 15 Greenfinches in the last Month! It's so sad to see them die! Have you found any pattern in their feeding habits that could cause this? I am so sad to see these little Birds die! I sterilise the feeders regularly but am concerned that it couldbe the bird-bath that is the source of infection! Would be interested in your comments! Jenny Baker
I had an outbreak of deaths caused by the Trichomonas parasite last year, despite strict hygiene. It has also reappeared again recently, and one of the birds was a dunnock. Post mortems have confirmed the cause each time. I have been trying to pass the word re hygiene, but I'm sure there must still be folk who perhaps don't realise how important cleanliness is. We try to help the birds, but maybe sometimes have the opposite affect.

Your point about bird-baths is spot on. If an infected bird drinks, it can pass the parasite on to others, as it can survive for a time in the water. It is vital that the water is changed every day, and the dish rinsed and allowed to dry out each night, then disinfected weekly when the feeders are done.

This thread has info on hygiene etc.
http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=67323

This link is to the Garden Bird health Initiative, and also has links to advice.
http://www.zoo.cam.ac.uk/ioz/project...initiative.htm

Hope you are able to prevent further problems in your area, Jenny. It would be great if you can pass the message on locally!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd September 2007, 16:51   #24
Peewit
Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
BF Supporter 2020

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I had an outbreak of deaths caused by the Trichomonas parasite last year, despite strict hygiene. It has also reappeared again recently, and one of the birds was a dunnock. Post mortems have confirmed the cause each time. I have been trying to pass the word re hygiene, but I'm sure there must still be folk who perhaps don't realise how important cleanliness is. We try to help the birds, but maybe sometimes have the opposite affect.

Your point about bird-baths is spot on. If an infected bird drinks, it can pass the parasite on to others, as it can survive for a time in the water. It is vital that the water is changed every day, and the dish rinsed and allowed to dry out each night, then disinfected weekly when the feeders are done.

This thread has info on hygiene etc.
http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=67323

This link is to the Garden Bird health Initiative, and also has links to advice.
http://www.zoo.cam.ac.uk/ioz/project...initiative.htm

Hope you are able to prevent further problems in your area, Jenny. It would be great if you can pass the message on locally!
Hi Mary

Thanks for your concerns here. It does make us all think about feeder, and water hygiene at all times.

Good links, and are well worth taking note of as they are very important now.

BF Supporter 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd September 2007, 21:20   #25
simondix

I work in Animal Welfare. In the last couple of weeks in the Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire areas nearly every other Pigeon/Dove ssp I have picked up has been suffering from it. They also pass it on to those that predate on them, their offspring as well as those they share feeding areas with.

Cleaning Bird feeders and feeding stations is a must!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: