Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds after storms ??

Old Saturday 22nd December 2007, 00:15   #1
Guzano

Birds after storms ??

Since the month of september i've been getting about 8 chickadees, 2 cardinals, 2 downy woodpeckers, 2 american goldfinches and about 20 sparrows daily.

Last sunday(december 16) We got hit by a big snow storm up here in Montreal,Quebec,Canada. We received about 40 cm(Almost 16 inches) of snow. During the storm the birds went crazy at the feeders. As soon as the storm ended everybody disappeared. Ok the temperature stayed at about -15c(5F), but very rare bird sittings !!!

Today(december 21), temperature -5 c (23F). All hell broke loose !! 8 Chickadees, 6 woodpeckers, 2 cardinals, 1 nuthatch, 3 american goldfinches, 1 brown creeper, 20 sparrows and 15 starlings !!!

So two questions ??? I thought that birds feed more when it was really cold. And whats your experience after a storm ??

thanks !!
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 09:11   #2
DownyWP

I'm no expert but for me, the birds do seem to go crazy at the feeders just prior to a snowstorm (or rainstorm) they just can't get enough! After the storm passes, feeding seems to return to normal. I haven't really noticed any differences if it's simply cold weather...
Old Friday 28th December 2007, 11:00   #3
razorsharp
For the Laugh

Yes, I would agree, they probably new the storm was coming, and wanted to build up some fat in their bodies, so they wouldn't ave to be ut in the thick of it when the storm hit.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: