Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hi anyone in aus

Old Saturday 21st November 2009, 10:43   #1
guzzi09

Hi anyone in aus

Hi I'm new to birding and the birdform. Ive been looking at the Aus threads but there hasn't been one for a while so I decided to start one. I'm in Geelong and I've found some New Holland Honeyeaters and also found a Red-Rumped Parrot came for a drink that I was able to get a photo of with my first digital camera.
John
Old Wednesday 2nd December 2009, 20:50   #2
StarainBoy

I'm not in Aus but good luck to you anyway. I'm going through my memories of being there last winter... (sorry, summer.)
Old Monday 7th December 2009, 15:01   #3
readysetgo

hey John :)
i'm new too and from vic.
Old Tuesday 8th December 2009, 20:07   #4
Graham_H

Hi John. You'll get a good start to birding around Geelong - there's some nice spots between the You Yangs and Balyang Sanctuary for a start. Welcome aboard!
Old Friday 15th January 2010, 10:56   #5
canonrock

Hi John
I'm in Victor Harbor S.A and not new to Oz, having arrived here from UK in 1970.
Don't know much about Geelong,except they have a good AFL team currently.We have plenty of New Holland Honey Eaters in S.A also.
Old Saturday 27th March 2010, 14:29   #6
chris23565

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzi09 View Post
Hi I'm new to birding and the birdform. Ive been looking at the Aus threads but there hasn't been one for a while so I decided to start one. I'm in Geelong and I've found some New Holland Honeyeaters and also found a Red-Rumped Parrot came for a drink that I was able to get a photo of with my first digital camera.
John
Hi Guzzi09,

I'm not in Aus but my brother and his family recently moved to Seaford, Nr Adelaide, S.A., they live right on the coast and have sent me several photo's of the birds they see around there, they hav'nt had chance to explore to much as yet but i've told them about this forum and hopefully they will get onto it soon, there seems to be a lack of threads from Aus and i'm looking forward to getting out there but alas its a good year away yet.

good luck with your birding

Chris.

www.westportlake.blogspot.com
Old Wednesday 31st March 2010, 01:34   #7
Si Clayton

Hi John, I'm another newbie to the forum, I hope you enjoy the bird photography. I' m trying photographing birds too, but it takes a bit of patience, eventually I get something good/useable. Sometimes, a really good shot.
Cheers

Habitat: Eucalypt/Subtropical Rainforest, Migrant from U.K.
Old Wednesday 31st March 2010, 04:03   #8
Azzy

Welcome to the forum, another Aussie here (obviously) :P Great work on getting a photo of the red-rumped, they can be shy sometimes. Best of luck with your geelong birding
Old Tuesday 6th April 2010, 03:30   #9
cookie99

Hi to my fellow Orzstralians.

Folk in Victoria especially those from the Melbourne and Geelong area might be interested in getting a permit and key to the Western Treatment Plant which has incredible bird life and is the best in bird photography area in Victoria.

I have attached the link and you can download the application forms from it.

http://www.melbwater.com.au/content/...ing.asp?bhcp=1
Old Wednesday 7th April 2010, 20:52   #10
calenso

Morning John, I am in Aust too, in SW Qld right out in the outback. We have a fantastic lot of birds here at the moment with lots of them breeding. Ducklings everywhere, baby egrets and tens of thousands of pelicans setting up their rookery again this year.

Australia is so lucky because of the diverse country that we have. There are so many birds only found in their own particular area that you have to travel to see them.

Cheers Calenso
Old Thursday 6th May 2010, 23:49   #11
littlecow

great!! we must get more Aussies into birding and onto this forum!! great to see quite a few on here already and newbies arriving!! cookie99 great to see a First Australian's own flag on this page...really moving!! be interested to know if you can get the permit to go into the Western Treatment Plant-let us birdforum people know if you upload any pics...would be great to see the birds that frequent there...Jodie
Old Thursday 6th May 2010, 23:54   #12
littlecow

hey calenso

wow...just checked out your pics on the Kilcowera Station blog!! the landscape is amazing...and those pelicans!! my daughter(10 yrs) was amazed!! and me too... nice frog pics too...Jodie
Old Saturday 8th May 2010, 11:34   #13
Andy in West Oz
Now of the east!

I might as well be a newbie since I keep returning to Bird Life after absences of several months. I'm in mid-NSW.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th May 2010, 07:04   #14
spocka

Hi to everyone, im in the Frankston area in Vic and always looking for new places to try and get some good photos, particularly of raptors but im not fussy .So if anyone has any suggestions and or tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Mike

HAPPY TWITCHING
Old Thursday 15th July 2010, 00:16   #15
Aquilag

Hi Birders,
I am also new to this forum and just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself.
I live in Stanthorpe, Queensland and am a fairly active birder. I bird around Girraween National Park and Sundown National Park a lot as well as other areas locally.
I have recently decided to spice up my birding a bit by challenging myself to a Big Year restricted to the South East corner of Queensland. I have given myself a few rules to follow eg. must see the bird not just calls, must be able to positively identify it and not rely on previous knowledge and jizz, must be alive and free flying etc.
This is to challenge myself to see if I can add new species to my life list as well as refreshing my passion for birdwatching.
Ok, enough waffling. I hope to get to know more of you here as time progresses.
cheers
Glenn McRae
Old Tuesday 31st August 2010, 07:12   #16
Cliff Greet

Hi

Welcome to BF you'll enjoy the experience.
We are outside Hervey Bay in Queensland and the birding choices here are great from shorebirds, raptors (the Maryborough tip is a hotspot) and sub tropical rainforest and open woodland.
If you're up this way feel free to give us an email
Cliff

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 2nd September 2010, 07:28   #17
Fayes4Art
Jungle Woman

Just joined today. See some other Queenslanders. Anyone in the far north with tropical birds? Love the pics on forum and the short vids.
Old Friday 3rd September 2010, 02:17   #18
Azzy

I reckon there's a fair few from up north, so no problem with that. We just need more from South Aus :P
Old Friday 3rd September 2010, 04:40   #19
Fayes4Art
Jungle Woman

Well it'll be great to see posts from all over Aus as it is so diverse. Is it freezing doen in SA now? Wehave perfect weather at the moment. Sun, light breeze and all the birds are chirping in the rainforest. The sun is filtered through the canopy and the light beams are sparkling on the damp leaves as we had a sun shower this morning. Ahhhhhhhhhh! Good to be alive!
Old Friday 3rd September 2010, 06:38   #20
Azzy

Today it's maxed out at around 9degrees, and we just had a thunderstorm and a downpour to rival the tropics. The backyard flooded, thanks to all the water flowing down from the neighbours place, but we're on the side of a hill so fortunately it keeps flowing down and doesn't flood the house, just the garden. So not much of a day for birdwatching. Sounds quite pleasent for you though :P
Old Saturday 9th October 2010, 01:26   #21
fluffywren

I'm from Sydney. I love bird photography, but i love the bush more...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: