Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thank God he didn't know the way!

Old Monday 14th June 2004, 15:03   #1
RockyRacoon

Smile Thank God he didn't know the way!

Driving back from Woods Mill yesterday, at about 8:30 p.m, missing the football. thejamman's Dad stopped in the middle of the road to get the map out, me and James, a.k.a thejamman, were looking at the only people we could see on the streets, and they must've flushed a Tawny Owl out of the cover by the road, saw no plumage detail but the shape was unmistakable! Lucky there were no cars behind us too!!!!!!!!
Old Monday 14th June 2004, 16:10   #2
very boring banned member

Congratulations! -In Finland we have this strange habit do night bird listening - owls in March & nocturnal warblers just now. I know my owls - by voice. However, lately I've seen some owls nighttime - but what owls? They don't make noise and are hence unidentifable, aargh! -Do Asios have white edge on their tail??
Old Tuesday 15th June 2004, 23:21   #3
StevieEvans
Forum Member

Hi

We had the pleasure of seeing a plump juvenile Tawny Owl Strix aluco on Saturday, sat in the midday sun.

Earlier in the day (05:30 to 08:00) we watched a pair of Long eared Owls Asio otus quartering rough fields often coming close to us & often hunting realy close to each other. Nice seeing them on a perfect clear bright morning.

Last week saw both Barn owl Tyto alba & Little owl Athene noctura both bringing food to the nest.
At a different site both these species share a enterance to roosting & possibly? nesting cavities.

But!, Havnt seen Short eared A.flammeus for several weeks now.

Karwin,
We also (well, some of us......) go "owling" on a night.
I was questioned by the Police last week at 01:00 !
Here in NE. England it is dark from 22:00 untill O4:00.
It is an excellent way to locate breeding owls & several other birds too.
These include Nightjar Caprimulgus europaeus, Woodcock Scolopax rusticola , Quail Coturnix coturnix , Grasshopper Warbler Locustella naevia , Water rail Rallus aquaticus

Asio flammeus often shows a white edge to the tail, along with a white trailing edge to the rear of the wing (excluding primaries).

Regards & happy owling
Stevie.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: