Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Never seen a Seabird Colony!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 15th July 2020, 15:29   #1
Chilt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 142
Never seen a Seabird Colony!

So! Iíve got it in my head I want to go to one! They look incredible! Am I too late?

Where would the closest or best one by me be? I live in Staffordshire ws11 area!

Thanks for any help
Nick
Chilt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th July 2020, 17:28   #2
YuShan
Registered User
 
YuShan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 177
Bempton Cliffs RSPB (Yorkshire) is fantastic! It's a bit late now but you should still be in time to see a lot of birds if you go now. And the gannets will still be there for some time.

Edit: just checked: the latest into the season that I have visited there was on 12th July 2011. It was well over its peak but guillemots, razorbills, gannets and puffins were still there.

As a bonus, also barn owls nesting nearby and in the afternoon they will be working the fields. Corn Bunting also breed there.

Last edited by YuShan : Wednesday 15th July 2020 at 18:10.
YuShan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th July 2020, 20:48   #3
interoception
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Posts: 202
I was at Bempton Cliffs last weekend and it was still full of action. Loads of Gannets, Kittiwakes, Razorbills. Puffins still there too.

Need to get there early as they are only opening half the car park to limit numbers on the reserve/viewing platforms. They were turning people away by 11am
interoception is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 15th July 2020, 21:36   #4
Xenospiza
Undescribed
 
Xenospiza's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In a drawer
Posts: 11,389
I went to Bempton Cliffs mid July and for someone (like me) not spoilt by too many visits to seabird colonies it is great. Don't wait too long because the Puffins will be off soon.

It's not just the sight, but also the sound and the (unpleasant!) smell that add to the experience.
Xenospiza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 16th July 2020, 05:29   #5
Chilt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 142
Right! Bempton cliffs it is! If I leave at 6am, I’ll get there for 8.45ish! Sorted! Thanks for the help guys! Is there any decent place to go there when I go or do I just follow the sound? Haha

Thanks
Nick
Chilt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 16th July 2020, 06:10   #6
andreadawn
Registered User
BF Supporter 2020
 
andreadawn's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Beside the Duddon estuary, Cumbria
Posts: 318
Just head for the cliff edge. All the viewing platforms are worth visiting.

At my local colony, auk chicks were fledging in large numbers from about ten days ago so the number of adults present will be much lower by now. However the timing is quite variable between different colonies and between east and west coasts. Even if the auks are largely gone, there is still plenty of interest, particularly the very close views of gannets that can be had at times.

If the wind is wafting the smell of the guano up the cliffs make sure you take plenty of deep breaths! I'm one of those odd people who love the smell. Many don't.

If it's today you are visiting, perhaps you could let us know how the colony is looking if you have time. I was thinking of trekking across to the Yorkshire coast myself tomorrow.
andreadawn is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th July 2020, 06:53   #7
Chilt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreadawn View Post
Just head for the cliff edge. All the viewing platforms are worth visiting.

At my local colony, auk chicks were fledging in large numbers from about ten days ago so the number of adults present will be much lower by now. However the timing is quite variable between different colonies and between east and west coasts. Even if the auks are largely gone, there is still plenty of interest, particularly the very close views of gannets that can be had at times.

If the wind is wafting the smell of the guano up the cliffs make sure you take plenty of deep breaths! I'm one of those odd people who love the smell. Many don't.

If it's today you are visiting, perhaps you could let us know how the colony is looking if you have time. I was thinking of trekking across to the Yorkshire coast myself tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply, Iíll be going Saturday, and if the weather isnít good I may end up going Wednesday next week, do you think Wednesday is too late? Cause itís a 3 hour drive for me and I donít want to waste my time and fuel haha.. itís a Auto.. 1mile to the gallon .

So really.. when I get there, just check out the different viewing platforms then? Quite exciting as Iíve never been to one! Add some
More birds to the old life list haha.

Thanks
Nick
Chilt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 16th July 2020, 08:03   #8
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020
 
Euan Buchan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Edinburgh UK
Posts: 5,456
Hope you have a great time, there's always a thrill at a Seabird Colony the sounds, the sights and most importantly the atmosphere.
__________________
Visit The Edinburgh Birdwatcher's Website

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com
Euan Buchan is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th July 2020, 08:31   #9
YuShan
Registered User
 
YuShan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreadawn View Post
If the wind is wafting the smell of the guano up the cliffs make sure you take plenty of deep breaths! I'm one of those odd people who love the smell. Many don't.
I love that smell too! It's the positive association with amazing nature spots. Not just seabird colonies, but also bat/swift caves in Malaysia etc.
YuShan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 16th July 2020, 08:39   #10
YuShan
Registered User
 
YuShan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 177
Regarding Bempton Cliffs, I often camp at World Farm, which is just a few kilometres walk along the coast to the south. Then in the morning I can just walk to Bempton Cliffs. But that whole coastline is very scenic and I always see small numbers of puffins, guillemots, razorbills and kittiwakes on the cliffs opposite the campsite and gannets flying above the sea.
YuShan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 16th July 2020, 08:51   #11
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp
 
Richard Prior's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MANIGOD
Posts: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilt View Post
Thanks for the reply, Iíll be going Saturday, and if the weather isnít good I may end up going Wednesday next week, do you think Wednesday is too late? Cause itís a 3 hour drive for me and I donít want to waste my time and fuel haha.. itís a Auto.. 1mile to the gallon .

So really.. when I get there, just check out the different viewing platforms then? Quite exciting as Iíve never been to one! Add some
More birds to the old life list haha.

Thanks
Nick
Weather looks good for you Saturday, dry and cloudy with a light westerly breeze so should be no problem with the notorious sea fret that can occur
__________________
"Thought I saw an eagle
But it might have been a vulture
I never could decide" Leonard Cohen
Richard Prior is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 17th July 2020, 12:28   #12
dandsblair
David and Sarah
 
dandsblair's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: lancashire
Posts: 1,635
Just back

We just spent a couple of nights at Bridlington, we used Lobster Pot hotel/pub.
The camp site is not taking bookings for tents as they can't make toilet block available, so walking from the site is not an option unless you have a camper van.

Reserve has toilets open and doing coffee and snacks if you do it in a day.

Just about everything is still around although Fulmar and Puffin number are going down.

If the RSPB car park is full - then park at Bempton or at Wold Camping Park and take the footpath to the coastal walk, some great viewing where the path from Camping pRak joins.
A volunteer told us it was heaving last week-end but it was OK in the week.

A few photos to whet your appetite.

Enjoy!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fulmar in flight.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	732268  Click image for larger version

Name:	gannet on daisy ledge.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	732269  Click image for larger version

Name:	gannet hang.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	732270  Click image for larger version

Name:	puffins social distancing.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	732271  Click image for larger version

Name:	razorbill gape.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	732272  

__________________
Life List - David 5250 - Sarah 5207 Last bird David Sinai Rosefinch Sarah - Sinai Rosefinch
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
dandsblair is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 17th July 2020, 18:27   #13
Himalaya
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: northern england
Posts: 3,549
Awesome!

I want to go too now! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsblair View Post
We just spent a couple of nights at Bridlington, we used Lobster Pot hotel/pub.
The camp site is not taking bookings for tents as they can't make toilet block available, so walking from the site is not an option unless you have a camper van.

Reserve has toilets open and doing coffee and snacks if you do it in a day.

Just about everything is still around although Fulmar and Puffin number are going down.

If the RSPB car park is full - then park at Bempton or at Wold Camping Park and take the footpath to the coastal walk, some great viewing where the path from Camping pRak joins.
A volunteer told us it was heaving last week-end but it was OK in the week.

A few photos to whet your appetite.

Enjoy!!
Himalaya is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 17th July 2020, 18:30   #14
andreadawn
Registered User
BF Supporter 2020
 
andreadawn's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Beside the Duddon estuary, Cumbria
Posts: 318
Yep. Still very busy today. Good numbers of auks and plenty of puffins still about.
andreadawn is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rare seabird colony 'protected' (BBC News) BF Newsroom Live Bird News from around the World 0 Saturday 22nd May 2010 15:38
Seabird colony growing in estuary (BBC News) BF Newsroom Live Bird News from around the World 0 Tuesday 6th October 2009 13:05
Proof of seabird colony on island (BBC News) BF Newsroom Live Bird News from around the World 0 Wednesday 17th September 2008 07:10
What's your favourite seabird colony ? treecreeper Sea Watch 23 Friday 4th May 2007 21:21
My first visit to a Seabird colony! RockyRacoon Sea Watch 3 Wednesday 23rd June 2004 19:21

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.12313795 seconds with 27 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 00:15.