Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Unnaturally friendly bird

Old Tuesday 18th August 2020, 01:40   #1
birdinfield

Unnaturally friendly bird

Wondering if anyone can opine on this behavior. I am in a college town in Northwest Georgia. Itís a quiet neighborhood with a fair amount of wildlife includjng deer that hang out in our yard.

This afternoon a bird friend flew into my workshop (open air, not indoors). I thought it was hanging out surprisingly close to me, then it kept coming even closer. My kids came out to see it and it hopped on the five year oldís head and just sat there for a few seconds until casually flying over to land on a piece of wood. Later, the bird flew over and gently landed on the other kidís head and casually sat there chilling out.

Fearing something might be wrong, we decided to give the bird some space but the bird seems really attracted to people, hanging out right outside our window looking in, and surprising me by landing on my head when I walked outside to see if was still around.

It didnít seem aggressive, but definitely strangely comfortable with and attracted to humans.

Has anyone seen similar behavior, or have an idea of what this could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D4C31D84-3D0F-49E1-AF06-292DEC71A5AC.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	734643  
Old Tuesday 18th August 2020, 07:30   #2
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

It's a juvenile American Robin, only recently out of the nest - probably too young yet to have discovered that humans can be dangerous!

PS welcome to Birdforum!
Old Saturday 29th August 2020, 06:17   #3
CharleyBird

Nearly stood on a robin in the garden last week, and it would happily sit within a few feet as I worked so that it could get to the fresh earth as I moved.

Then yesterday in the kitchen I head my younger daughter shout "Cheeky little bu**er"! I went to see, and she said a robin had flown in through the conservatory into the living room. sat on a standing fan near to the TV she was watching, looked around and at her for a few seconds, then flown directly back out!

We've had a young blue tit fly into the conservatory and then had to coax it out. But I've noticed robins sometimes seem to be more watching us inside from the bird feeders/table outside, rather than just warily looking out for us which is what the other birds do.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: