• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds We See In Florida (1 Viewer)

OspreyDude

Jeepin' Photographer
One of the great things about living in Central Florida is the immense variety of birds (and other wildlife) we have all twelve months out of the year. One of my favorite times, though, is October through May. That's when it cools down enough to enjoy camping and when the birds and wildlife are really active!

I started this thread to share some of the birds we see here; both migratory and non-migratory. If you have ever been to Florida and have taken some photographs of the birds you saw, please feel free to post and share them!

I'll start off with this photo of the rarely seen Everglades Snail Kite. As of 2016 the National Audubon Society has listed it as endangered, although its population is showing growth. I took this photo while on one of the photography camping trips I hold for my clients who like to get out for a few days and concentrate on nothing but photographing birds and other Florida wildlife.

I look forward to seeing some of your photos!

Attachments

• Kites Snail at Pole (That's My Pole TJP6687D500).jpg
    Kites Snail at Pole (That's My Pole TJP6687D500).jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 66
Another bird many of my photography clients ask me to show them during their trip to Florida is the Reddish Egret.
A beautiful wading bird that feeds in our brackish waters and has such an incredible "dance" as it fishes for food. Sometimes I can't help but laugh out loud while watching and photographing these beautiful birds.

Attachments

• Egret Reddish Dribbling (Dribbling Reddish Egret TJP5845D500).jpg
    Egret Reddish Dribbling (Dribbling Reddish Egret TJP5845D500).jpg
    735 KB · Views: 34
  • Egret Reddish Ruffled (Ruffled Reddish Egret TJP5837D500).jpg
    Egret Reddish Ruffled (Ruffled Reddish Egret TJP5837D500).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Great photos of the Reddish Egrets! Hopefully I will get to see one on a trip to the Texas coast next week!(Lifer)

THE FLORIDA SCRUB JAY

The only place in the world that you will find this beauty is in the scrub lands of Florida.
A wonderfully curious bird, it will thrill you with the way it is as interested in you and what you are doing as you are in it.
Many of us here in Florida believe that this bird - and not the Mockingbird - should be the Florida state bird.
These photos were taken in the wild - not in any type of zoo or aviary!

Attachments

• Me with Florida Jay on Head.jpg
    Me with Florida Jay on Head.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • Jay Florida Scrub on B700 (How Do You Work This Thing TJP7688D500).jpg
    Jay Florida Scrub on B700 (How Do You Work This Thing TJP7688D500).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Jay Florida Scrub in Flight (Florida Scrub Jay Taking Flight TJP7705D500).jpg
    Jay Florida Scrub in Flight (Florida Scrub Jay Taking Flight TJP7705D500).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • Jay Florida Scrub Profile Pic (FL Scrub Jay - Unofficial Florida State Bird TJP7719D500).jpg
    Jay Florida Scrub Profile Pic (FL Scrub Jay - Unofficial Florida State Bird TJP7719D500).jpg
    945.5 KB · Views: 17
Enjoying this thread! The Florida Everglades was my second ever overseas birding trip after a closer one to the south of France.So many tame birds in good numbers especially the egrets & other long-legged birds.
Remember being in awe of Magnificent Frigate Birds flying over like some long extinct pterodactyls, Snail Kite, Limpkin & many others.

Also great to see Manatees, Alligators, anole lizards & so many wonderful butterflies & dragonflies.

So far I've seen all the species you've featured so far.

Enjoying this thread! The Florida Everglades was my second ever overseas birding trip after a closer one to the south of France.So many tame birds in good numbers especially the egrets & other long-legged birds.
Remember being in awe of Magnificent Frigate Birds flying over like some long extinct pterodactyls, Snail Kite, Limpkin & many others.

Also great to see Manatees, Alligators, anole lizards & so many wonderful butterflies & dragonflies.

So far I've seen all the species you've featured so far.

That's wonderful! Feel free to post some of your photos! I'd love to see them. Where were you in Florida? Just the Glades or did you venture further north?

That's wonderful! Feel free to post some of your photos! I'd love to see them. Where were you in Florida? Just the Glades or did you venture further north?

No photos I'm afraid! We were based in Fort Myers & went to a lot of the usual places like Sanibel Island & Babcock.

A FIRST FOR ME!

These shots were taken at the end of a long morning of seeing absolutely nothing!
When I saw this bright bird I thought, "Oh cool! A pretty Palm Warbler!" But when I got home and saw it on my computer screen it just looked different than a Palm Warbler. After a little research, I found out that this little beauty is a Prothonotary Warbler! A first sighting (and photo opportunity) for me!!!

Attachments

• Prothonotary Warbler 1 (3598D500.jpg
    Prothonotary Warbler 1 (3598D500.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Prothonotary Warbler 2 (3601D500).jpg
    Prothonotary Warbler 2 (3601D500).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Prothonotary Warbler 3 (3605D500).jpg
    Prothonotary Warbler 3 (3605D500).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 12
Florida Sandhill Cranes

We have non-migratory Sandhill Cranes that hang out here all year around. These are some of my favorite birds. I have a flock that number anywhere from eight birds to over twenty on my property at any given time, which makes it nice for my clients when I give photography workshops at my place. These precious birds are quite curious and follow me around in the yard; especially if I'm digging. They are hoping I'll uncover a juicy grub worm for them. If I'm just sitting on my front porch, they'll just gather around me and preen.

The shots attached to this post are of a mating pair. The female was having a heck of a time trying to get a leaf off of her bill while her mate was busy munching on a frog.

Attachments

• Crane Sandhill Female with Leaf on Bill Yawning (This Damn Leaf 1TJ5784D500).jpg
    Crane Sandhill Female with Leaf on Bill Yawning (This Damn Leaf 1TJ5784D500).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Sandhill Leaf Attachment (5765D500).jpg
    Sandhill Leaf Attachment (5765D500).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Playing With Your Food 3 (2345D500).jpg
    Playing With Your Food 3 (2345D500).jpg
    685.9 KB · Views: 12
Been to Florida twice, both times with a heavy emphasis towards the theme parks etc. (which I'm happy to admit I enjoyed).
But getting out early and/late just me and the binoculars was extremely enjoyable.
Rather surprised that it's been 20 years though.....

I would love to go again but there are so many great places I've yet to visit.

Been to Florida twice, both times with a heavy emphasis towards the theme parks etc. (which I'm happy to admit I enjoyed).
But getting out early and/late just me and the binoculars was extremely enjoyable.
Rather surprised that it's been 20 years though.....

I would love to go again but there are so many great places I've yet to visit.

It's funny how time passes so quickly. I've lived here in Florida for almost 10 years now and it doesn't seem like it. In all the time I've been here I've never been to the theme parks! Lol! I've heard they are fun though!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back