Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird food how long.....

Old Wednesday 9th November 2005, 12:55   #1
royd63uk

Bird food how long.....

Hi all
Might be a silly question but as a new birdwatcher/feeder, could someone tell me how long is safe for uneaten birdfood to stay on the birdtable.I have put some in a different area 2 days ago,since then it has rained heavily and the food is somewhat damp.How long can i leave it there before i need to replace it.
Old Wednesday 9th November 2005, 15:10   #2
Marmot

Is it seed you are questioning about or scraps of food.

I would say if it has got wet and mushy the birds will turn their noses up at it as it starts to give off a bit of a smell and you don't want any passing mice etc visiting, so chuck it out. In fine weather it would have been ok.

I normally check my feeders every other day to fill them and if it has been raining take a bit of kitchen paper towel to wipe any gunge off them.

I found that some feeders you can get from Wilkinsons stores for 99p which are green with a clear perspex tube with a couple of feeding holes /perches on the bottom are amongst the best for not letting the rain in.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 9th November 2005, 17:21   #3
royd63uk

[quote=Marmot]Is it seed you are questioning about or scraps of food.

QUOTE]
Thanks for your reply,it is seed and peanuts.
Roy
Old Thursday 10th November 2005, 06:56   #4
peterpiper

Marmot, I too like those feeders, I also buy their fat balls, 50p for 4, loal B&Q w'house sell same at 1+ for 4
pete
Old Thursday 10th November 2005, 09:39   #5
turkish van
Number 1 celebrity badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd63uk

Thanks for your reply,it is seed and peanuts.
Roy

You need to be careful about the peanuts-I think the RSPB recommend changing them every week or so in heavy rain, but I've noticed they can go a bit dodgy in a few days. I don't put too many out unless I know they will get eaten.

I think seed should last a bit longer, and if the birds are eating it and it's not been there for too long, then I think that should be ok. Just watch they dont start sprouting!!
Old Monday 12th December 2005, 12:34   #6
Fyletta

Hi! Sorry to hijack, but I have a similar query... We've got two seed feeders, and two fat balls. We've had these up since October. The birds haven't visited yet, but I hope they will start coming in soon. I take it from this thread that I should probably change the seed just over ever week (I've been doing it a bit less often than that - trying to conserve the pennies!). But what about the fat balls? Should I take them down? Are they just putting birds off as they're old? They are not obviously icky to me, but I don't know what birds fancy....

Any other tips for attracting birds? We altered a plant dish (the type that go under pots to catch water) to make a little bath, and hung it off a pergola with a hanging basket chain...I knock off the ice, and change the water at the same time...we have cats, but I'm not getting rid of those!

We have had a male and female blackbird eating things in the garden, but no 'feeder-feeders'.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: