Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which are your most common birds?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 13:35   #1
JeffMoh

Which are your most common birds?

Which birds do you see most often when you're driving or walking around in the country? I mean the ones you're almost certain to see wherever you go.

Here in southeast Texas you really can't go anywhere without seeing Northern Mockingbirds, Mourning Doves, Black Vultures and Turkey Vultures.

You normally can't go far without seeing American Crows, Common Grackles and Red-tailed Hawks. In suburban areas, you're also very likely to see European Starlings,while most flat grassy areas everywhere seem to have Killdeer.

If you're near water, it's rare there isn't a Great Egret around.

It usually seems hard to walk through any wooded area without seeing or hearing a Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Jeff
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 13:46   #2
psilo

I cant even imagine setting foot out in the countryside and seeing a vulture though kestrels and sparrowhawks are pretty common around here and you are almost guarenteed to see one if not both of them when you are out and about.
This is a good question. The commonest birds in the UK are house sparrows and starlings but here certainly I hardly ever see them in rural areas. Magpies, Blackbirds, bluetits and robins are amongst the commonest woodland birds and go anywhere near trees and you are guarenteed to see them.
During the winter months you also cannot go too far without seeing redwings.

http://www.psiloswildlifephotography.co.uk

BF Supporter 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 14:30   #3
Gus Horsley

I suppose the commonest birds here are the ones I can see from the kitchen. Blackbirds, robins, chaffinches, starlings, house sparrows, greenfinches and goldfinches.

Gus
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 15:23   #4
gordon g

For me at this time of year it's house sparrows, dunnocks, chaffinch, starlings, blue tits and great tits in the garden, with rooks, jackdaws and kestrels around and about.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 15:33   #5
JeffMoh

Rare sparrows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilo
I cant even imagine setting foot out in the countryside and seeing a vulture though kestrels and sparrowhawks are pretty common around here and you are almost guarenteed to see one if not both of them when you are out and about.
This is a good question. The commonest birds in the UK are house sparrows and starlings but here certainly I hardly ever see them in rural areas. Magpies, Blackbirds, bluetits and robins are amongst the commonest woodland birds and go anywhere near trees and you are guarenteed to see them.
During the winter months you also cannot go too far without seeing redwings.
At Xmas three years ago, I spent a couple of half days birding near London and on the coast, and a few hours wandering around the Clissold Park area, plus several hours shopping in different areas of London. I saw 60+ species but not a single House Sparrow. Two summers ago, I spent several days in London, Lincoln and Carlisle and again didn't see a single House Sparrow. Did I read somewhere that their numbers have dropped alarmingly in the UK?

Jeff
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 15:44   #6
Tero
Retired

Haven't seen a vulture yet in 06. My 44 birds of the year in the 2006 lists are pretty much the ones I see, but had to do a little work on some.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread....gle#post495001

Last edited by Tero : Tuesday 10th January 2006 at 18:42.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 15:47   #7
James Lowther

They're still just about the commonest bird numbers-wise but they have declined a lot as you say, and in some areas where they were once very common they are now very seldom seen.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 16:39   #8
JeffMoh

Deportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lowther
They're still just about the commonest bird numbers-wise but they have declined a lot as you say, and in some areas where they were once very common they are now very seldom seen.
If you ever run out of House Sparrows in the UK, we can always send you millions from the USA. Some idiots imported them into the States years ago and they're now very common here. Unfortunately, European Starlings are even more common, and they are more of a threat to native American species.

Jeff
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 16:57   #9
baillieswells

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMoh
Which birds do you see most often when you're driving or walking around in the country? I mean the ones you're almost certain to see wherever you go.

Here in southeast Texas you really can't go anywhere without seeing Northern Mockingbirds, Mourning Doves, Black Vultures and Turkey Vultures.

You normally can't go far without seeing American Crows, Common Grackles and Red-tailed Hawks. In suburban areas, you're also very likely to see European Starlings,while most flat grassy areas everywhere seem to have Killdeer.

If you're near water, it's rare there isn't a Great Egret around.

It usually seems hard to walk through any wooded area without seeing or hearing a Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Jeff
In my garden the commonest birds are Wood Pigeons. There is always at least one pair in the garden and I have seen up to fifty on the power lines which cross the bottom of the garden. Next commonest are Blackbirds, always a pair scrabbling about, and often up to eight.

On the feeders the commonest are Blue Tits and Great Tits, with usually a Greenfinch ot two. I took a walk round the garden this morning, and as well as all the above breeds I saw several Pheasants, a pair of Ring Doves (which seem to nest the year round),a couple of Dunnocks, a Wren, two Chaffinches, the resident Little Owl in the orchard and four Mallards on the stream. (Before my wife let the dogs out, from the kitchen window she saw a large dog Fox chasing a Munkjack).

Took the dogs for a long walk this afternon in the grounds of Wimpole Hall, all I saw were three Jackdws. There were more varieties of birds to be seen from the kitchen window when I got back home!
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 17:33   #10
columbidae

In urban areas, northern mockingbirds, house sparrows, rock pigeons and European starlings are very common around parking lots. In yards you can almost always see American robins, Carolina wrens, and northern cardinals. In suburban areas and parks you will find those already mentioned, plus lots of Carolina chickadees, Canada geese, mourning doves, red-bellied and downy woodpeckers. In wintertime yellow-rumped warblers are everywhere in the parks, and white-throated sparrows can often be seen, and their song is everywhere.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 17:38   #11
albatross02

Most Common birds

Hi,

in Berlin some birds very common
House Martin, Blackbird and Wood Pigeon every day, the whole year
very often also Coots, Crows, White Swans, Black-headed Gulls and Mallards

in parcs and forests also Chaffinch and Jay are very common
in summer White Storck and Barn Swallows are very often to see

outside the town Common Buzzard is very common and Red Kite ( in Germany should be 60 % of world population I red )

White-tailed Eagles I saw ( every weekend tour ) only from end of August to the end of the year. But in autumn there are assembly e.g. 5 on lake Rietzer See on 19.11.2005 . Someone told me he saw 14 there.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 17:54   #12
cayoncreekman

This time of year out the window there's Boreal owls, Hawk owls, Great Grey owls, Ravens and, flying low overhead, Snowy Owls. By the end of the month the non-migrating northern boreal species will return such as Gyrfalcons and their prey birds.

In summer the most common birds out the windows are Redpolls, Chickadees, Crossbills, Juncos, Ravens, 3-toed and Black-backed woodpeckers ,Canada jays. But out the window only a rare glimpse of a bird of prey now and then. Blackpoll warblers are the most common warbler seen from the window but they seem localized and I see more Wilson's and so on when I leave the property.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 17:57   #13
RockyRacoon

woodpigeons, collared doves and magpies are by far the most obvious birds from my house, although Herring Gulls are extremely common everywhere else within a square mile
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 18:04   #14
dendroica_john

Since I live in a big city, I see starlings, house sparrows, rock pigeons, and ring-billed gulls on daily basis. Each of them is pretty much guaranteed on the walk to and from the train station.

It's hard to believe that house sparrows have become rare in Europe, with the vast number of them around here. But I think that house sparrows are on the decline even in the States. It may have something to do with lack of nesting space due to changes in construction materials.

On my birding walks, the commonest birds would be something like: Canada Goose, Mallard, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Carolina Wren, Northern Mockingbird, American Robin, White-throated Sparrow (in winter), and Northern Cardinal. It's hard to go birding anywhere around here without seeing those.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 18:49   #15
Julian Bell
Natural Born Birder

For the last ten days its been wedge-tailed shearwater and the occasional crested tern. But then I'm on a boat off NW Australia.

Back home in Norway.
Passerines: Greenfinch, Tree Sparrow, Great tit and Blackbird are the most numerous in the garden.
Waterbirds: Gulls, Grey heron, Great Cormarant, Shag, Eider Duck and Long-tailed Duck are probably the commonest.
http://oeygardenbirds.blogspot.com/
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 21:49   #16
Drean Mollagh

In the garden at the moment, it has to be chaffinches - flocking up to 20. Greenfinches and house sparrows run them a close second. Driving to work, rooks and jackdaws seem common. Wood pigeons have not reached our village yet, we have the collared doves.
It is interesting to read about the mourning doves in the USA being so commonly seen. One made it to the Calf of Man island about 15 years ago, and made the local newspapers. It was exhausted and presently died, but being so rare, it was stuffed and put on display at the Manx museum, where I think it can still be seen.
Old Tuesday 10th January 2006, 22:24   #17
Touty

The stuff on the feeder... (in order of abundance) greenfinch, great tit, collared dove, blue tit, chaffinch, marsh tit, HAWFINCH (up to a dozen) goldfinch (up to 5) , BRAMBLING (up to 3), tree sparrow, house sparrow and robin.... then jays magpies and starlings.
Old Wednesday 11th January 2006, 01:04   #18
CTYankee

Every morning gazing out the window at the feeders while drinking my coffee I see (winter):

Several Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Tufted Titmice, Downy Woodpeckers, Morning Doves, Blue Jays, Purple Finches, House Finches and Gold Finches. Wild Turkeys will come by 2 or 3 days a week eating the seed that falls to the ground. I also see the Red-Tail Hawk several times a week – they come for easy kills on the Doves – so I guess I am feeding them indirectly.

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th January 2006, 11:39   #19
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Well since it's bit bit too windy & wet here all I've seen out my window are

Crows

Magpies

Dunnocks

Rooks

Blue Tits

Robin

Great Tit

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th January 2006, 11:51   #20
Nick Elliston

Not many vultures in Norwich this time of the year - at least not ones that can fly!

Usually Collared Doves and House Sparrows, could be House Sparrows and Collared Doves, back to Collared Doves and House Sparrows etc etc.
Old Thursday 12th January 2006, 11:40   #21
JeffMoh

Really common birds

When I originally posted, I wasn't asking in terms of feeder birds or of birds in particular seasons. I really meant birds that you can virtually guaranteee seeing -- excluding at bird feeders -- in any season if you drive or walk for. say, 30 minutes anywhere from where you live.

Jeff
Old Thursday 12th January 2006, 11:41   #22
JeffMoh

Really common birds

When I originally posted, I wasn't asking in terms of feeder birds or of birds in particular seasons. I really meant birds that you can virtually guaranteee seeing -- excluding at bird feeders -- in any season if you drive or walk for. say, 30 minutes anywhere from where you live.

Jeff
Old Thursday 12th January 2006, 13:40   #23
Xenospiza
Undescribed

I guess some people are just glued to their feeders!
There are about 40 species I don't keep track of because they're "too common".
Black-headed & Common Gull; Carrion Crow; Wood Pigeon (certainly at the moment in flocks numbering 100s!); Great, Blue & Long-tailed Tit; Robin; Starling; Blackbird; Jackdaw; Magpie; Hedge Accentor (aka Dunnock); Chaffinch can be found anywhere.
In town: Collared Dove; House Sparrow
In woods (mostly coniferous here): Crested, Willow & Coal Tit; Great Spotted Woodpecker; Short-toed Tree-Creeper; Siskin
Rural areas: Tree Sparrow; Greenfinch; Buzzard; Kestrel
Water: Coot; Mallard; Moorhen; Grey Heron; Great Cormorant.
Most of these carry "Common" and "Eurasian" in their official names of course…
Old Friday 13th January 2006, 13:38   #24
JeffMoh

Differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbidae
In urban areas, northern mockingbirds, house sparrows, rock pigeons and European starlings are very common around parking lots. In yards you can almost always see American robins, Carolina wrens, and northern cardinals. In suburban areas and parks you will find those already mentioned, plus lots of Carolina chickadees, Canada geese, mourning doves, red-bellied and downy woodpeckers. In wintertime yellow-rumped warblers are everywhere in the parks, and white-throated sparrows can often be seen, and their song is everywhere.
We would normally have tons of Robins by now but I haven't yet seen a single one in our area this winter. I've only seen White-throated Sparrows once so far also. Of course, it's been 70-80 degrees F for weeks and so winter hasn't really arrived.

Canada Geese should be very common here, as should Mallards. However, I saw my first of both species here only a couple of weeks ago -- and I've been birding southeast Texas pretty constantly for three years!

Jeff
Old Saturday 14th January 2006, 01:41   #25
Home Bird

At my home near the South Jersey Shore, my daily feeder birds are dark-eyed juncos, tufted timice, black-capped chickadees, white-breasted nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, house finches and house sparrows, blue jays, cardinals, a song sparrow. Almost every day, although not necessarily all of them all day. Frequently see carolina wrens, red-bellied woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, white-throated sparrows, brown creepers, winter wrens (not at the feeder, under the shrubbery).

A Coopers hawk, always announced by the blue jays who go into alarm calls, drops by regularly, but has yet to take a bird while I was watching. Red-tailed hawks are also very common, especially from late fall through early spring.

In summer I see osprey overhead every day, great blue herons and egrets.

Laughing gulls are like starlings here. Also mallards and Canada geese.

Home Bird
www.homebirdnotes.com
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: