Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds and Storms

Old Saturday 17th March 2007, 14:10   #1
JamieoftheNorth

Birds and Storms

I'm new to birding, which will probably explain my fascination of what is probably obvious to most of you. We had a snowstorm overnight, and I had wondered what bird activity would be like at the feeder before, during, and after.

The snow started to fall and the winds picked up shortly after 3pm yesterday. Up until dark, activity was very heavy at the feeder with black-capped chickadees, dark-eyed juncos, song sparrows, as well as a tufted titmouse and an american goldenfinch.

At dawn, the snow and sleet was still coming down but the birds all returned and have been feeding all morning. Snow and sleet has stopped, and they're out there just as if it wasn't happening at all. Pretty neat. I thought that they'd hunker down, but not the case.
Old Saturday 17th March 2007, 16:15   #2
amkid247
Chickadee Wisperer

ive found that they eat a lot b4 the storm (as if they know its comming) and eat a lot after a storm so taht they have a lot of energy to live through it, especially a snow storm like we had yesterday. the house sparrows seem to bunker b/c when ever theres a lot of snow or its really cold i never see any house sparrows at my feeder.
Old Saturday 17th March 2007, 21:20   #3
Lou G

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieoftheNorth
I'm new to birding, which will probably explain my fascination of what is probably obvious to most of you. We had a snowstorm overnight, and I had wondered what bird activity would be like at the feeder before, during, and after.

The snow started to fall and the winds picked up shortly after 3pm yesterday. Up until dark, activity was very heavy at the feeder with black-capped chickadees, dark-eyed juncos, song sparrows, as well as a tufted titmouse and an american goldenfinch.

At dawn, the snow and sleet was still coming down but the birds all returned and have been feeding all morning. Snow and sleet has stopped, and they're out there just as if it wasn't happening at all. Pretty neat. I thought that they'd hunker down, but not the case.
I've watched this all winter and it is very true your birdies are the best at predicting a storm or weather change. Leave it to nature.

Burlington County
New Jersey
Zone 6B
Old Saturday 17th March 2007, 21:24   #4
JamieoftheNorth

Pretty cool how they know. This time yesterday they were at the feeder like mad. Now they're just hanging out lethargically at the fringe of the woods.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: