• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've booked my flights! India here we come!! (1 Viewer)

kittykat23uk

Just getting a bit excited now because I've booked our flights to India. Heading out on the 15th November for two weeks. Will be sorting out the exact itinery closer to the time to see how the monsoon does. If it is a good year for rain we are hoping to do Bharatpur (went in 1995 and it was fab but I understand it has suffered a lot in recent years). :'D

Just getting a bit excited now because I've booked our flights to India. Heading out on the 15th November for two weeks. Will be sorting out the exact itinery closer to the time to see how the monsoon does. If it is a good year for rain we are hoping to do Bharatpur (went in 1995 and it was fab but I understand it has suffered a lot in recent years). :'D

I'm very envious! Hope you have a great time and see lots of birds. Look forward to seeing some pics when you get back! |:d|

Mike

Might see you there, just starting our planning for around the same time.

Have a great time! I went in 98 to Bharatphur to see Siberian Crane when it was just fantastic. Alas no Tiger. Went this year to Bandhavgarh. Tigers galore. Wonderful. My trip report is on my web site if you want to sneak a look.
Good birding
Sue

Might see you there, just starting our planning for around the same time.

Hi John, Just a thought for you, we are organising a tailor made tour with http://www.wildaboutindia.com. My friend runs the company and has been to India loads of times birding, so knows the area really well. If you are interested in going at about the same time you are more than welcome to join us! It would push the price down even further (and more pairs of eyes are useful to help spot the birdies). At the moment we are planning to take in Bharatpur (although we might change this if the monsoon is poor), Chambal, Agra for the Taj Mahal and possibly the Red fort, either Panna or Bandhavagarh (we are leaning towards the latter for tigers), then up into the foothills of the Himalayas, staying at Pangot and then on to Corbett.

Sue- I was lucky enough to see a tiger and sloth bears at Rhanthambhore in '95 and Bharatpur was lovely back then. I would love for us to see tigers again as this is the first time my partner has been on a big holiday.

Take care.

Jo x

Hi Jo

I know that you will have lots of experience available to you through your tour organisers but it might be helpful to know that Corbett closes down during the monsoon perido and only opens up in November when all of the damage has been cleared away. as this has been quite extensive in recent years it would be as well to check that access is available to the NP before heading up there.

Don't ignore Delhi itself either as Okhla can be really good and Sultanpur is getting good ratings recently.

Have a great trip.

Corbett mmmmm ... Visited in January of this year, stayed at Camp Forktail Creek where Ritish and his wife made us very welcome. We were booked into both Lohachour and Dikala, two nights/three days at each. Dikala we found was best for Tiger which we saw on all three days, first day, two mating , second day, one from the back of an elephant at five metres [mindblowing] and the last crossing the river into the forest where we listened to the roars of male and female for some time. Enjoy ....my 60th birthday memories will be with me for a long time as the 9500 wildlife photos [267 species of bird]I am still editing will keep me occupied until I can afford a return visit. Have a good trip enjoy.... India arrrrrr :t: :t:
ColD

This year, it looks as though the monsoons are going to do well. It has started raining early.

That was not such good news for my photo tour to Bandhavgarh last month - the first 3 days had some fabulous, portfolio-grade photo ops of tigers. The last 3 days were a bit quieter.

For birding, this means that Bharatpur ought to be in really good shape come October and beyond. We will be adding it back to our itinerary for late 2007 and for 2008, by the looks of it. I am there next month to see what's what - hopefully, I should get some shots of the heronry in the early stages.

Vandit

I'm hoping to be in India in November as well. Sounds like it will be crowded with Birdforum members. I'll probably be around the Delhi area. Neil.

Well, any of you BF members in Delhi feel like having a brew or doing some birding, drop me a line. I'm taking a group to the Andamans in early November for a birding trip and then doing some wildlife stuff in the Delhi area for the second part, so I'll be in and out of the area.

Kittykat - Corbett isnt really the best place for tigers, especially in November. You can get decent sightings around the Dhikala area where there is a tigress with 3 cubs, but for the other parts of the park, you have to be pretty lucky. That being said, Corbett, more than any other park, is the best place for photography - I shoot about 5x more in Corbett than in any other park.

Edit - I just noticed you are going to Bandhavgarh as well. That is truly tiger paradise.

Vandit

Quoting Vandit ....Kittykat - Corbett isnt really the best place for tigers, especially in November. You can get decent sightings around the Dhikala area where there is a tigress with 3 cubs, but for the other parts of the park, you have to be pretty lucky. That being said, Corbett, more than any other park, is the best place for photography - I shoot about 5x more in Corbett than in any other park. Unquote.

My wife and self visited Corbett [Dhikala] in January of this year, managed to see tiger on all three days around the tourist complex , also managed to get photos of them mating , hopefully this is the same tigress with the three cubs . Trully a magnificent place for photography and many birds. Also hope that the rains are kind to Bharutpur this year and it returns to all its glory,have a great trip everyone who is going ......wish we were returning this year. .

ColD

My wife and self visited Corbett [Dhikala] in January of this year, managed to see tiger on all three days around the tourist complex , also managed to get photos of them mating

That is truly a stroke of amazing good fortune! Care to send me a lock of hair, a fragment of your nail and an internal organ?

My last trip there, I was shooting for myself and not on a tour, so we forsook tigers - and were lucky enough to see them daily the first 4 days we were there. Then we decided that since the tigers are being positively exhibitionists, might as well try to get shots. And of course that is when the sightings stopped. The most difficult moment was following some alarm calls and getting to a clearing only to see 2 tail tips disappear into the bush. What made it exceptionally difficult was that 2 of us, with 4 bodies & 2 superteles, got nothing and this dude in a nearby jeep was proudly showing *full frame* tiger shots taken on his mobile phone.

The tigress you saw is different - but she too has 3 cubs now. Last I saw them (April), all were healthy but I just heard a report recently of a couple of cubs getting carried away by the river and drowning. Not sure which family they were from but it is tragic nonetheless :(

Also hope that the rains are kind to Bharutpur this year and it returns to all its glory,have a great trip everyone who is going ......wish we were returning this year.

Well, the monsoons are in full swing already, but according to a report released yesterday, this year is predicted to have 7% less rain than average.

Hello Jo

I'm also off to India in November. I also booked my two week trip through www.wildaboutindia.com, and I'm also doing a very similar itinerary to you.

I'll be going to Bharatpur, Chambal River, Agra, Bandhavgarh, Panna and a bit of time in Delhi at the end for either sightseeing or birding at Sultanpur. The only difference seems to be that I'm flying out on the 17th November.

Small world eh. You never know, I might see you there at some point.

Richard

Hi Richard,

That's great! I have sent you a PM. Sad to hear bout the two cubs but sounds quite promising for tigers generally at Bandhavgarh and Corbett nonetheless. I'd love to get leopard this time, dipped at Kenya and last time I went to India. Indian wolf would be nice but not holding out much hope for that.

Vandit, thanks for the offer. I think we have an overnight in Delhi on the last day so not sure what time we will get there but if we can squeeze in a meet up then I will try and let you know. :D

I'll stick my hand up too since I'm going to India from 20th-29th October. It looks like I'll be going to Bandhavgarh and heading back to Delhi from there via maybe Panna, Khajuraho and Bharatpur. I'll try to let you know all how it was before you go.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back