• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using Rand in Botswana (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Sorry this is actually about Botswana -but there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum and not really about birds but I will be travelling the Trans Kalahari highway from Lobatse to Mamuno. As I'll only be spending one night in Botswana I keen not to change money. I've read that the Rand is accepted 'most everywhere' in Botswana. Have others found this? I'm particularly thinking of petrol stations and accommodation but I'm also going to want to get food and drink en route.

Cheers

Sorry this is actually about Botswana -but there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum and not really about birds but I will be travelling the Trans Kalahari highway from Lobatse to Mamuno. As I'll only be spending one night in Botswana I keen not to change money. I've read that the Rand is accepted 'most everywhere' in Botswana. Have others found this? I'm particularly thinking of petrol stations and accommodation but I'm also going to want to get food and drink en route.

Cheers

Considering the isolation of rural communities in Botswana, it would be better to organise some Pula. You might get away with Rands, but equally you might get stuck. It also makes sense to fill up wherever and whenever you find a filling station, because the next one may be out of fuel, or have no unleaded, and so on. Depending on what you're driving, and the amount of stuff you're carrying, a jerry can or two is not a bad idea. The main problem on Botswana roads is livestock (goats, horse, cattle, donkeys) on the road at night. They like the heat from the warm tarmac, and are virtually invisible. Try to avoid night travel, but if you must, do it SLOWLY, and watch car lights in front of you. Flashing hazard lights at night means the car in front of you has spotted animals on the road. You should also, in similar circumstances, flash yours for any vehicle travelling behind you.

Note that there are Foot and Mouth road checks throughout Botswana, since meat to Europe is one of the country's biggest exports. Do not carry meat or milk products, as they may be confiscated. You may have to take out all your footwear so that it can be dipped, so pack it separately.

Jwaneng (diamond mine) and Kang are probably the only (fairly) reliable places for fuel, overnight accommodation and food. Try and check this before you set out. Don’t expect much in the way of shops along your route. Better to stock up at Lobatse before setting out. The upside of all this is the road’s pretty good!

Best wishes,
Dave

I've be warned about night driving and definitely plan to give it a miss. There appears to only be one hotel at Jwaneng -and that's quite expensive, without the back up of a campsite. So we will probably either drive onto Kang, if we're making good time. Or - as we're coming from Jo'burg - stop at Kanye (where there is good sounding accommodation, with the option of a campsite if it's full.) and then set off as early as possible the next morning to get to the Namibian border.

I've be warned about night driving and definitely plan to give it a miss. There appears to only be one hotel at Jwaneng -and that's quite expensive, without the back up of a campsite. So we will probably either drive onto Kang, if we're making good time. Or - as we're coming from Jo'burg - stop at Kanye (where there is good sounding accommodation, with the option of a campsite if it's full.) and then set off as early as possible the next morning to get to the Namibian border.

For what it's worth, Steve.......

I drive Joburg-Maun via the Trans-Kalahari Highway. or via Martin's Drift, Serowe, Orapa and Rakops in 12 - 13 hours. It just needs an early start to get through the border when it opens, and you're away. You may find that you can get further than you think. There is no traffic to speak of, so during the day you can maintain a good average.
Another point - I'm sure that if you use your British ATM (hole-in-the-wall) card in Lobatse, it will deliver your cash in Pula. Also check that you have the correct legal documentation, including car registration papers, for the border crossing. You will probably have to purchase local third-party insurance at the border post. You would be advised to find out beforehand exactly what is required to take your car through the border. If it is a hired car, you must make sure that the hire company knows you are taking the car to Botswana and, I presume, Namibia.
Have a great trip,
Dave

Thanks for the advice Dave. I'll be with kids. They're very good travellers, and have done a 14 hour drive before, but I'll break it up. I arrive from the UK at 0730, if I'm on time, so it'll take me a while to get to the border.

The car hire company have been informed and the cost of the hire included an extra charge for driving in Botswana and Namibia. I presume Lobatse is fairly small and it's not much of a detour from the highway to find an ATM?

The car hire company have been informed and the cost of the hire included an extra charge for driving in Botswana and Namibia. I presume Lobatse is fairly small and it's not much of a detour from the highway to find an ATM?

I don't know Lobatse beyond passing through, but just find the nearest bank and you should find an ATM.
Bon voyage,
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back