• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sizergh Hawfinches (1 Viewer)

Apodemus

How reliable are they? I may have an hour or so to spend in the area next week - any good tips for finding them?

Thanks

Mike

Others will hopefully have more up to date info than me but last March you had to look no further than the car park. You could see them throughout the day but mornings around 9.00am were better as they were in the trees surrounding the car park and coming down to seed on the grass under the trees in the corner opposite the cafe. Previous visits we'd seen them in the gardens of the castle by walking back out the car park and down the side of the stone wall.

They're closed in winter - looks like the cafe is open from 1st Feb but I don't know of the main gates are open before that or if it's just the car park that's closed - it's a long walk from the main gates!

Attachments

• IMG_8730d.jpg
    IMG_8730d.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 253
Good news is that you can drive into the car park at any time even if the shop and grounds isn't open and the the car park is the best place for the hawfinches. There will be NT staff around even if the place isn't open and they are used to the birders.

The bad news is that they have been very much less than regular over this winter with only a few records. They are no doubt still there but they are spread out in the woodland rather than concentrated on the hornbeam mast.

The generally accepted method is to loiter round the car park and hope!

I loitered and loitered, looking very dodgy, but they never showed. I did see some nice redwings though.

If anyone starts seeing them again, I'd be interested to know.

Cheers

Mike

I will try and talk Ian into going over to this area for my birthday [end of March] so hopefully we will see them then. There was always about 5 people turning up when we went and I got some good video footage as well as Ian with his photos [as above]

Thanks for that. Great to hear there's some still around. We're heading over that way in March all being well.

Hawfinch video

Here's some footage of the Hawfinches at Sizergh filmed over several days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZsiqHWYWEE

Anyone visiting to see the Hawfinch please respect the grounds and try not to disturb the Hawfinch which are very wary and easily disturbed. I would recommend using your car as a hide. If you do this make sure you've got all your viewing kit in the car and not the boot before you arrive !

Here's some footage of the Hawfinches at Sizergh filmed over several days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZsiqHWYWEE

Anyone visiting to see the Hawfinch please respect the grounds and try not to disturb the Hawfinch which are very wary and easily disturbed. I would recommend using your car as a hide. If you do this make sure you've got all your viewing kit in the car and not the boot before you arrive !

Great advice Fraser, when I was there the other week for the first time I did exactly that. A lot of others unwittingly caused a lot of disturbance to the birds.

Just an update from last week. We visited a couple of times and managed to see 8-10 each visit with up to four coming down to the ground together to feed on the provided black sunflower hearts. Each day one of the local birders put out food early morning to help attract them. If birders sat quietly in their cars the Hawfinches gave very close views.

We found the same though that each day someone always turned up and stood around chatting right beside where the birds wanted to come down to or getting out the car for binos or people walking by. Usually within 20 minutes though the birds were returning.

Attachments

• IMG_3635c.jpg
    IMG_3635c.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3752b.jpg
    IMG_3752b.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4398aa.jpg
    IMG_4398aa.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 130
Good information and great advice. I'll call in next week and hopefully get some good views (from inside the car!)

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back