• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

injured baby blackbird now ok !! (2 Viewers)

moondancer

Hello there, I posted on here to ask a question several weeks ago.
I asked if a young fledgling Blackbird would be able to survive.

It had been pecked on it's head and so badly round it's eye that
there was a crater in the side of it's face and one eye was closed.

I fed it because it came running up , gaping and calling for food.
I fed it for days but left it in the garden.

Anyway it disapeared for a while and I sadly thought it had succumbed.
Well imagine my delight and surprise when, a week ago, a young female
Blackbird came flying up to me, nearly knocking me over !! I got some food and she stood by my feet feeding. I got a really close look at her and on her right cheek there was an indentation but her eye was open and she looked well.

Now most mornings she will come up to me for food, even going so far as
sitting on the windowsill if she sees me through the window. She always comes flying up to me and follows me around the garden for the odd worm
if I am gardening or some seed which take out for her every day. No other
fledgling has ever done this to me before so it MUST be my little injured fledgling made good.

Big grin here because I am thrilled.
Best wishes

Moondancer

Hello there, I posted on here to ask a question several weeks ago.
I asked if a young fledgling Blackbird would be able to survive.

It had been pecked on it's head and so badly round it's eye that
there was a crater in the side of it's face and one eye was closed.

I fed it because it came running up , gaping and calling for food.
I fed it for days but left it in the garden.

Anyway it disapeared for a while and I sadly thought it had succumbed.
Well imagine my delight and surprise when, a week ago, a young female
Blackbird came flying up to me, nearly knocking me over !! I got some food and she stood by my feet feeding. I got a really close look at her and on her right cheek there was an indentation but her eye was open and she looked well.

Now most mornings she will come up to me for food, even going so far as
sitting on the windowsill if she sees me through the window. She always comes flying up to me and follows me around the garden for the odd worm
if I am gardening or some seed which take out for her every day. No other
fledgling has ever done this to me before so it MUST be my little injured fledgling made good.

Big grin here because I am thrilled.
Best wishes

Moondancer

Lovely story. Looks like you have a friend for life! "My" blackbird has been around for five years or more. Wasn't injured but just took a fancy to me. He's very smart and I swear he has a sense of humour!
Amelia

Wow! What a lovely story that was!

Dont hear these types of stories too often, at least your hard work has now payed off with 1 being you helped raise the bird and 2 it sounds like you have a fairly good companion there!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back