• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any tips for a new Sigma 50-500mm owner? (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi All,

After years of wanting a long lens I finally purchased a Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 for my Canon 40D.

I used to digiscope for approx 3 years but stopped when I purchased my Canon DSLR.

I'll be shooting with a tripod in good light and will be able to get close enough to the birds at a friends bird store.

Can anyone offer me some advice on shooting birds with this new lens and my Canon DSLR?

Thanks,

Dana

It's a bit difficult to answer your question without knowing how much you know about photography.

Also can you explain what you mean by a bird store?

It's a bit difficult to answer your question without knowing how much you know about photography.

Also can you explain what you mean by a bird store?

Hi a.dancy,

I'm in between a novice and a pro. Take a look at my bird photos on my site and that should give you an idea. Let me know what you think: http://swansod.zenfolio.com/f471862406

I have a friend that owns a birding store, sells feeders, bird houses, etc... He has a garden with a bunch of bird feeders. There's lots of bird activity and the birds let you get closer than most other places.

Thanks,

Dana

A few thoughts:-

I don't use this lens but probably best stopped own to F8(ish).
Don't be frightened to up the ISO; the 40D with care can produce results up to 1000ASA
although obviously best to stay below 400.
Don't photograph birds on feeders or with feeders in background.
Provide different (aesthetically pleasing) perches plus a water/drinking area.
Shoot at eye-level where possible.
Maybe consider an artificial plain coloured background put up well behind your chosen perch
to give a nice smooth out-of-focus background.
Use a tripod and possibly a remote release.
Consider some fill-flash
Russ

I have used this lens for several years now and am very happy with it.
It is at its best when stepped down to between f 8.0 and f 10,especially when shooting at 500mm.A lot of folk will and have said that its soft at 500mm but I haven,t found it to be so.I also like the option of being able to pull back to shorter focal lengths for composition or if I need to increase my depth of field.
I certainly wont be changing it for a while.

Sorry for getting back so late. I think Russ and Mike have covered what you need to know. I am aware of one professional who usually uses a Canon 600 prime and has purchased either the 150-500 zoom or the 50-500 zoom and has reported that it is sharp enough. I would add that when I had a 20D I had acceptable shots at 1600 ISO so I am sure you will at time get acceptable results with the 40D (a camera which I loved).

I think you should obtain a basic photography book or peruse the internet on basic concepts of exposure, f stops and aperture etc. Then go out, make your mistakes or find out what is right for you, as the case may be. If you struggle with anything in particular then get back and post your specific question (s). There are some very knowledgable members here who are always ready to help.

Good luck!

A few thoughts:-

I don't use this lens but probably best stopped own to F8(ish).
Don't be frightened to up the ISO; the 40D with care can produce results up to 1000ASA
although obviously best to stay below 400.
Don't photograph birds on feeders or with feeders in background.
Provide different (aesthetically pleasing) perches plus a water/drinking area.
Shoot at eye-level where possible.
Maybe consider an artificial plain coloured background put up well behind your chosen perch
to give a nice smooth out-of-focus background.
Use a tripod and possibly a remote release.
Consider some fill-flash
Russ

Thanks Russ!

The technical info will help a great deal to start me off. I hear you about the feeders. Nothing beats a natural photo.

One trick I like to do at home when shooting is zip tie various tree branches to the feeders and poles to capture the birds natural looking, with nice bokeh the photos can look pretty good.

There's a nice old looking stone wall at the bird store I'll be shooting at, the birds like to sit on the edge of the stone wall, should make for some nice photos. I can throw seed up on the wall where the dirt is on the top and it wouldn't be seen but the birds are just at the right height.

I need to find places to bird I can manage with my bad feet. I have a disability where I can't go birding in the woods since the terrain is to rough and I would take a spill. That's why digiscoping was so nice with that great reach. I'll find plenty of places I'm sure with the DSLR.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Dana

I have used this lens for several years now and am very happy with it.
It is at its best when stepped down to between f 8.0 and f 10,especially when shooting at 500mm.A lot of folk will and have said that its soft at 500mm but I haven,t found it to be so.I also like the option of being able to pull back to shorter focal lengths for composition or if I need to increase my depth of field.
I certainly wont be changing it for a while.

Thanks mike from ebbw,

Thanks for the technical tips. I'll set my f-stop to 8 to 10 when starting out. I'm glad you haven't seen the soft focus I've heard others talk about at 500mm. I've seen some incredible photos taken with this lens.

Thanks again,

Dana

Sorry for getting back so late. I think Russ and Mike have covered what you need to know. I am aware of one professional who usually uses a Canon 600 prime and has purchased either the 150-500 zoom or the 50-500 zoom and has reported that it is sharp enough. I would add that when I had a 20D I had acceptable shots at 1600 ISO so I am sure you will at time get acceptable results with the 40D (a camera which I loved).

I think you should obtain a basic photography book or peruse the internet on basic concepts of exposure, f stops and aperture etc. Then go out, make your mistakes or find out what is right for you, as the case may be. If you struggle with anything in particular then get back and post your specific question (s). There are some very knowledgable members here who are always ready to help.

Good luck!

Hi a.dancy,

Wow a Canon 600 Prime, that's like the price of a car. It's good to hear my 40D will do good with the Sigma 50-500. I wouldn't want to have a reason to buy a new Canon DSLR :) I've watched some Lynda.com videos on photography and feel comfortable with aperture, exposure, shutter speed, etc... You never stop learning though. Thanks for the advice!

Dana

Big thumbs up for the 50-500mm from me.
As an all-rounder it's a great lens. I use it as a wildlife walkabout lens most weekends, usually on a Black Rapid sling and don't find the weight too much for long periods. Handholding it steadily takes some practice but the superb Lens OS helps. I think Image quality is really good for a zoom too and produces some nice sharp results.

Here's a shot from my very first outing with it.

Attachments

• Long Tailed Tit.jpg
    Long Tailed Tit.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back