• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swans caring for Mallard chicks?? (1 Viewer)

andy_1969

A friend of mine lives over at Greater Cambourne, and has witnessed the following :- while walking around one of the man-made lakes here, there was a group of baby mallards, these were with the mother mallard, but the father mallard was not around. the swan appeared to herd one of the mallard chicks that had become separated from the gang, back towards the mother and the rest of them. almost straight away it did its best to ward off my friend and her children (they were not so close as to cause a problem, but the swan clearly thought they were) has anyone else witnessed or know why another bird would appear to act as caretaker for someone elses chicks? or maybe (and this is possible) that my non-birder friend has got it wrong ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back