• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 65 Spotting Scope + Zoom (4 Viewers)

I have not found a good review of Leica's APO Televid 65 Angled Spotting Scope so I thought I would post my observations. I've been helped by my father who has the older classic APO Televid 77 Angled Scope so I could compare the two. I was surprised by the results.

I tested the two scopes side by side and also, with some suitably positioning of our tripods, left eye and right eye at the same time. We live on a hill and so I took the two scopes to test near and far vision and also in dull misty and bright conditions.

I used two eyepieces on the 77, namely the newer WW 40x eyepiece which is in my opinion the brightest (and best) eyepiece available for the 77 and the newest 20-60 zoom.

I could find absolutely no difference in brightness, contrast or quality of view between the two scopes at 40x (for the 40x eyepiece) or through a direct comparison between the zooms. Indeed the quality of the 65's 25-50 zoom shone through as it had a much better field of view and was much easier to use.

So I'm understandably very happy with by Televid 65. I don't understand why it is so good compared to the APO Televid 77 but can only guess that the more modern design, better glass and zoom lens design make a big difference. My father's APO Televid 77 isn't a rogue as we've tested it against another.

So hopefully this is helpful for anyone wanting to know about the under-reviewed Leica Televid 65. Its really very good.

I agree. Both the 77 and 62 are superb scopes; the latter would be ideal for travel. A discussion of the best objectives can be found at http://photovideooptics.blogspot.co.uk

A minor point but, please be aware when reading the above mentioned blog that the writer ('Kinixys'), for all his self-professed experience with optics, refers to 'objectives' when he actually means 'eyepieces' so, whether or not you trust his views is up to you.

I bought an APO Televid 62 after intensive comparisons with equivalent Swarovskis at the time - and despite absolutely hating Leica binoculars - 8 years ago, and am still using it. I started off with a 32x WW (26x equivalent on APO 62 body) and bought a zoom much later; I now hardly ever use the fixed mag eyepiece. The zoom is excellent right up to 60x (48x on APO 62 body). A well looked-after, secondhand APO 62 with either eyepiece would still be a great buy.

LL

Oops. Eyepieces of course. I am more used to objectives in microscopes being the bit one changes frequently at the other end! Kinixys is editing the blog. Age catching up?

The older 62 mm Televids that are mentioned in response to the original post ,are in the same lineage than the Classic APO 77 that was used for the comparison..the Televid 65(Vs 62) is the newer incarnation and has the larger counterpart in the 82mm model..

The older 62 mm Televids that are mentioned in response to the original post ,are in the same lineage than the Classic APO 77 that was used for the comparison..the Televid 65(Vs 62) is the newer incarnation and has the larger counterpart in the 82mm model..

I think the original poster is correct that the 65 model is rarely if ever reviewed. The fact that the older 62 model is still in many peoples' mind and reflected in the thread names would be a clear indicator.

Part of the reason is probably Leica's fault. Their prices are so much higher than the equivalent (but also expensive) Swarovski, that Leica 65 models are probably very rarely sold to birders.

I bought a Leica Apo Televid 65 about 18 months ago. It's brilliant !

I wanted a 'small' scope for when I'm on the move and I actually went out to buy a Swarovski 65mm. When I compared the two side by side it soon became evident that the Leica was the better scope - better made, better optics and a better all round quality product ( even the carry case is perfect ) However, the Leica was a few hundred pound dearer, if memory serves.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back