• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heated bird bath (1 Viewer)

Any recommendations for a heated bird bath? Would have to be able to be connected with outdoor extension cord.

I'd be interested as well. This winter, now upon us, I want to provide water for the birds in my yard, but am not up on which heated bird baths are a good way to go.

I set one up with a heater used to keep a pail of water available for livestock, basically a metal heating plate that you put at the bottom of your birdbath, they come in several sizes and I picked the smallest one, about the size of a bread plate. I did this because I'd read years earlier that liquid water was a major asset and attractant for birds in the winter and while the heater worked well, what I discovered was that birds that overwinter in my area (more than 45 degrees north latitude) had no interest in the warm water whereas every squirrel within probably a mile did. At first I was glad to be a nice guy for their benefit but it turned out that they were still coming in the warmer months, which became a little trying since they all seemed to try to outdo each other in destroying things like tomato plants and rose bushes, so I stopped the practice. For the record, it gets cold enough here that I didn't try to actually heat my whole birdbath; instead I found a suitable broad and shallow plastic food storage container and put that on top of the bird bath. That meant that I could dump out what water was left at the end of the day and put out fresh water in the morning, not only saving electricity but also a very long warm up time over thawing out the icy birdbath every day- if that had been possible at all. Canadian problem only, possibly.

Last edited:
I set one up with a heater used to keep a pail of water available for livestock, basically a metal heating plate that you put at the bottom of your birdbath, they come in several sizes and I picked the smallest one, about the size of a bread plate. I did this because I'd read years earlier that liquid water was a major asset and attractant for birds in the winter and while the heater worked well, what I discovered was that birds that overwinter in my area (more than 45 degrees north latitude) had no interest in the warm water whereas every squirrel within probably a mile did. At first I was glad to be a nice guy for their benefit but it turned out that they were still coming in the warmer months, which became a little trying since they all seemed to try to outdo each other in destroying things like tomato plants and rose bushes, so I stopped the practice. For the record, it gets cold enough here that I didn't try to actually heat my whole birdbath; instead I found a suitable broad and shallow plastic food storage container and put that on top of the bird bath. That meant that I could dump out what water was left at the end of the day and put out fresh water in the morning, not only saving electricity but also a very long warm up time over thawing out the icy birdbath every day- if that had been possible at all. Canadian problem only, possibly.

I used the same, worked well in the cold of Arizona (I had no squirrels).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back