• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird seed (1 Viewer)

wunderlong88

We are new to birding. I was going to purchase some bird seed and there are some many kinds I wasn't sure what was the best to attract a variety of wild birds in my area (Palo Pinto Co, TX).

What should I look for?

TY

Hi wunderlong - exciting times for you..... and interesting too.

It would help us to advise you if you have an idea of what species you have seen hanging around so far.

If you don't know what they are, but can manage to get a picture, they can be identified for you.

A wide variety of species like sunflower hearts, so you could make a start with them maybe. But wait until some others from your side of the pond call in.

We live in a very remote area and see a lot of varieties of birds. We have red robins, cardinals, cedar waxwings, kinglets, woodpeckers, sparrows, eastern phoebes, juncos, hummingbirds, eastern/western meadowlarks to name a few. We have just started trying to identify birds. We purchased a good camera and good binoculars and have been pleased with what we have in our yard.

We have a large creek in our backyard and have a variety of waterfowl but they are so timid that they leave at the least motion. We have lots of crows, wild turkeys, Mississippi Kites, barn owls and other birds of prey that we haven't identified.

(Some of these are not year round residents, of course)

TY

Well your woodpeckers (and many of the other birds) will like a peanut feeder. Some will love peanut butter smeared on the tree trunks and branches (but you MUST get one forumated for birds.... basically salt free).

Meal worms are popular with most species, escpecially during the breeding season.

Finches go for niger (nyjer?) seed.

The other species, will need the expertise of your compatriots, like the make up of sugar water for the humming birds.

Hope these ideas give you something to work on.

You live really close to me. I have out black oil sunflower seeds, sunflower hearts, shelled peanuts, and several different kinds of suet. I have several tray feeders on the ground filled with that seed labeled "wild bird seed" that you buy on the cheap. I use that as a distraction for the larger birds like Mourning Doves, Grackles, and the House Sparrows prefer it as well. You're next to a creek, so thats a huge plus. I have lots of Carolina Chickadees, Carolina Wrens, Titmouse, Cardinals, Mockingbirds, Blu Jays, Downy Woodpeckers, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, Orange Crowned Warblers, Dark Eyed Juncos, and a lot of Mourning Doves.

Sunflower seed will probably attract the greatest variety of birds, including cardinals (they prefer sunflower) and others on your list. Squirrel Busters by Brome are popular feeders. A plus is that many ground feeders will be attracted to seed dropped by the ones on the feeder. Sunflower hearts create less mess; it costs more than whole seeds, but it's all food -- you're not paying for shells.

Woodpeckers and wrens LOVE suet with peanuts in it; juncos do too, which surprised me. I have one of THESE and there's frequently somebody on it. There are smaller versions...I got the larger one hoping to attract a pileated -- no luck yet, but several frequent downies, with occasional red-bellied and ladder-backed.

Nyjer thistle is preferred by goldfinches...but house finches and purple finches seem to spend much more time with the sunflower seed.

Besides food, you need water for them - which the creek would seem to provide - for drinking and bathing. Not sure how far the creek is from where you'll be watching; if it's too far to see, maybe put something closer. Doesn't have to be fancy...in fact it might be preferable if it isn't.

A final suggestion -- don't bother with blends or mixes. Almost a certainty there'll be a lot of waste that doesn't get eaten.

Have fun!

i know this will be disputed but our goldfinches prefer oil sunflower seeds . we had two thistle feeders for several years and they worked great , that ended for some reason . gave one away and other resides permanently in attic . we now have 6 feeders out [7 in summer] with oil sunflower seeds , safflower , shelled peanuts , and peanut butter [ actually ''wild birds bark butter'' at $6 a pound ] . all work well and draw enough birds to attract a hawk . it chooses its own meals . . . peace

definitely keep feeding in the winter!!!

to keep it simpliest, stick with:
1) boss (black oil sunflower seed)
2) nut based suet

this will feed a very wide variety of songbirds

possibly dried mealworms powdered with calcium (bluebirds, mealworms need calcium as they are calcium depleting). I don't really see any other bird other than my bluebirds at the mealworm feeder, and bluebirds generally don't eat bird seed. I wouldn't do mealworms without also having some bluebird nest boxes in the yard

I do add a small feeder in winter, with sunflower hearts or pennington fruit/berry/nut 'ultra' blend so the smallest birds can get lots of energy fast to survive the cold.

for my bluebirds, I also start mealworms in winter, and in nesting season (july-ish) when there's more than 1 day of rain when bug hunting is more scarce.

I think nyjer goes bad easily as it seems it seems to always go uneaten vs sunflower.

I frequently whistle 2 tones (1 high, 1 low) while I'm out filling the feeders, so birds "know me" by my call

One tip.

Remember to give your feeders a thorough cleaning every now and then. This helps prevent spread of disease. Also its a good idea to move their location once in a while. Again this prevents the build up of dropped seeds which can attract vermin such as rats and mice and also accumulation of droppings and hence any parasites/infections etc.

Don't worry, as long as you don't move them too far the birds will very quickly relocate them.

The canary's food list is quite long as they tend to eat almost all fruits and vegetables. Among those that are safe and healthy for your canaries to eat in the fruit and vegetable category are carrots, green beans, cabbage, corn, peas, apples, melons, grapes, oranges, and bananas. Or you can check out some of the best canary foods, but be wary of canary food that seems too cheap. They can be filled with seeds and grains.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back