• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Safety chain idea ? (1 Viewer)

robski

I had a mishap with my camera and Canon L lens which took a nose dive off the tripod at home. Somehow I released the plate whilst adjusting the pan and tilt to line up on a woodpecker in the garden. The lens needs the focus unit repaired by Canon which I am sure will not be cheap. I'm hoping they have the parts and can do it OK as the lens is 12yrs old. I was sure the safety catch was set correctly on the 128rc head.

Investigating the 128RC head further I found a squence if the little lever was already in the safety position when the plate was clicked into position the release arm is not locked.

To avoid another expensive mishap I was wondering if anybody has had a similar thing happen to them and know of some novel safety chain system which prevent the kit hitting the deck.

Rob

I did a similar thing with my scope but fortunately it survived the incident. Ever since I have used a piece of nylon cord round the body of the scope with a slip-knot loop which goes over the tripod head as a secondary backup just in case.

LOL. I'm also a lot more careful and double check its properly locked on. I've also done a fair amount of research on insurance and will be changing my cover this week for a much better deal. (Details will be in the insurance thread idc).

robski said:
Investigating the 128RC head further I found a squence if the little lever was already in the safety position when the plate was clicked into position the release arm is not locked.Rob

But how can you click the plate into position with the safety on? The plate shouldn't be able to be inserted unless the release lever is pulled into the open position, and the safety lever is supposed to prevent this. Alternatively, if the release lever is already open so that the plate can be inserted, you shouldn't be able to put the safety lock in its locked position.

I have been having problems with my 3130 that sound suspiciously similar. I just bought a scope set up, and I'm returning my second try with the 3130 because both had faulty safety mechanisms. The problem seems to be way too much travel allowed in the release lever before the safety pin catches. As a result, with the saftey in the ON position, I can release the lever and literally pull the plate out with my fingers with very little resistance. As an experiment, I "locked" my scope into the head, put the safety on, and held it over a bed (with soft pillows) simulating how it would be carried on my shoulders. I "accidentally" moved the release lever to the open position and my scope immediately fell out onto the bed. This is exactly what the safety is supposed to prevent: unintended movement of the release lever to the point where it allows release of the plate. Unfortunately, the pin is positioned such that the release lever is allowed to move way too far before it hits the safety pin.

Before anyone responds - no, I don't have the plate in backwards. And no, tightening the silver hex screw at the cam does not solve the problem. Loosening the screw, repositioning the cam, and retightening does improve the problem, but no matter how hard I tighten that screw, the release lever slips back to its previous orientation relative to the cam.

It makes me wonder how many people out there are walking around with faulty safeties without knowing it. I ordered my 3130 through Eagle Optics, and they were great about sending a replacement - unfortunately the replacement had the same problem, so I'm returning that one too. A local store is ordering a 3130 for me - if that one shows the same issue then I'm going with the 501. I don't want the extra weight, but I'm not carrying my $1200 scope on my shoulders without a reliable safety catch.

Thanks Godana for making me take a second look at the safety pin. I see what you mean about it's action. I noticed my pin was a bit stiff and the spring was not pulling it down to the locked position. I have cleaned and lubricated the brass pin and it locks everytime now. Something I'll have to check every now and then. Yes Nigel I was thinking of a piece of cord as a backup - I can't afford to keep forking out for expensive lens repairs. I'm still waiting for the quote from Canon but the man in the shop hinted at £150 ish.

Rob

Last edited:
robski said:
To avoid another expensive mishap I was wondering if anybody has had a similar thing happen to them and know of some novel safety chain system which prevent the kit hitting the deck.

This may work for small lenses, but I doubt it would for anything bigger than a 300 f4.

Sorry to hear about your lens Rob.

The great thing with the 501 is this just cannot happen. You have to press the safety to get your scope or camera off, and this has to be a positive action.

Yes a sore point Don - got the quote yesterday £205 and they have to get the part instock. I hope it does not take too long to get fixed. I suppose where it's been so dark for the last 10 days I would not of been able to use it anyway.

The same should of applied to the 128rc head. What was happening was when you turned the safety pin to lock position it was not sliding down (pulled down by a small spring) to prevent the release arm from turning. The back of my hand must of brushed against the release arm and I could see the lens and camera teattering before it fell forward. I was not quick enough to catch it.

Rob

Last edited:
robski said:
Yes a sore point Don - got the quote yesterday £205 and they have to get the part instock. I hope it does not take too long to get fixed. I suppose where it's been so dark for the last 10 days I would not of been able to use it anyway.

The same should of applied to the 128rc head. What was happening was when you turned the safety pin to lock position it was not sliding down (pulled down by a small spring) to prevent the release arm from turning. The back of my hand must of brushed against the release arm and I could see the lens and camera teattering before it fell forward. I was not quick enough to catch it.

Rob

A warning for all here particularly sea watchers to give this an occasional squirt of WD40.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back