• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the Gitzo 5530S overkill? (1 Viewer)

DonFrambach

I'm new at this and would appreciate some guidance. I have a 500mm f4manual focus prime lens and a 2x teleconverter that I've been using with a Wimberley Sidekick attached to a 55mm Really Right Stuff ball head attached to an old Gitzo aluminum tripod that appears to be a series 2.

I'd like to upgrade the tripod now and probably upgrade to a full Wimberley head in the future.

From looking through the Gitzo on-line catalog, it appears to me that they recommend a series 5 tripod for 500mm lenses. Before I purchase this large tripod, I'd sure appreciate advice from more experienced birders.

TIA

Don Frambach

Last edited:
Hi Don:

I recently revamped my tripod system, I was using a Gitzo 1257 + Markins M10 and a Sidekick, I HATE IT!!!! I went the BH-55 plus Sidekick route and there was some improvement. Finally I got a Gitzo 3530 LSV with a full Gimbal and I am happy again.

I don't know how heavy your lens/camera setup is, I use this set up without a problem; D2Xs, 20-400VR, TC14 EII, SB-800 +BB and the full WH on the 3530LSV all together is close to 15-16 lbs. If you want to go the safe route (meaning that you will get something heavier in the future) the equivalent of the 1500 series (don't know the new codes) will be a safe bet. I have a friend with the Canon 500mm F4 IS and he uses the same setup as me, no problems either. Good luck

Greetings Don,

Bogen/Manfrottos are lighter to carry, easier to use and just as rigid. You can always bring along a net bag or similar and weigh your tripod down (with a found object) on site. Even a heavy camera/lens system will catch a lot of wind and vibrate atop the heaviest of tripods - to address this I attach a small bungee to the camera or lens and secure somewhere near the top of the tripod. Works like a dream - and because I make multiple exposures (of in-camera color-corrected light sources of interiors) in precise overlay in a 4x5 view camera, absolute rigidity and lack of motion is critical for in-camera registration. If it works for such a critical application, I'm certain you will appreciate the lower cost and lighter weight solution.

Robert / Seattle
www.pisanostudio.com

Last edited:
Ive just upgraded to a Gitzo 3530LSV from a Manfrotto 055 which is about 20 years old.I use this with a 20D and a 500f4IS lens. Gitzo recommend this tripod for lenses from 300-500.I discounted the 5530 as this was over a kilo heavier and the 3530 is more than good enough for the job,The Manfrotto range of carbon fibre tripods dont have the weight capacity for the 500 Canon f4.As a cheaper alternative you could try the Feisol 3371 tripod at www.feisol.com.

Don,

If the Gitzo can take the weight and you’re happy carrying it, why change?

I have a very old ally Gitzo studio tripod, it’s not as pretty as today’s carbon fibre efforts and heavier, but solid as a rock. I use it in communal hides where people are moving about a lot. It copes very well with intrusive vibrations.

I also have a Gitzo carbon, which I use if I’m on the move; I prefer the ally and will lug this one around with me if I’m feeling fit.

Bogen/Manfrottos are lighter to carry, easier to use and just as rigid.

I'm curious as to which Manfrotto models you are referring too. I used Manfrotto tripods for many years and was amazed at the difference when I switched to a Gitzo earlier this year. The Gitzo is roughly the same weight as my 055 Manfrotto was and it significantly more stable/rigid (though I do prefer the leg locks on the Manfrotto).

I'm curious as to which Manfrotto models you are referring too. ...

Model #3221W for medium format camera work in the field, and

Model #3233 with a Majestic Gear Head for all 4x5 work. The 3233 is not listed any longer on the B+H website, but the 475B looks to be it's contemporary equivalent. The center collumn brace results in supreme rigidity, and because each brace spreads and locks separately individual leg spread is possible.

Gitzos are nice, too. And I have several of the older (pre-carbon fiber) models. But the leg locks often jam too tightly for easy use in the field. What I think the Manfrottos provide is more user friendliness, and a better rigidty to weight ratio.

I have pretty much the same outfit as Don, save for the fact that my ballhead is an Arca-Swiss. I purchased a Gitzo C-1325 a few years ago and have been VERY happy with it. I originally bought it without a center column, as per the advice of many nature photographers, but I really found this inconvenient, so I added a 1318 sliding column. This combo is plenty solid enough for the Nikon 500 f4P, even with a 2X teleconverter. With high magnification the center column hook allows you to hang a beanbag or other weighty item for added stability.

If you get the heavier tripod you will be happy with the stabililty, but it's heavier and more expensive. You might consider your own "style" of photography. Do you tend to stick close to your car with your gear or will you be carrying the rig a distance in the field?

I bought it!

I received the Gitzo 5530S tripod and a G1527 center column last Thursday. Got a chance to use the setup on Saturday and Sunday. I'm very pleased. The tripod is solid. My outdoor (in a breeze) photos seem much better than the ones I previously took with my series 2 aluminum tripod.

I thought hard about getting a series 3 tripod but decided the two costs: money (about $50) and additional weight were worth it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back